Club Shop

IDFD

nice, not sure about the writing down the side, can't work out the material either.

£105 for a footy top is that a wind up?? That boys is absolutely everything that is wrong with our club right there!!

None of the working class hardcore fans will touch that for that price but all the holiday going, Megastore loving, day trippers will be in heaven buying them as quickly as possible.

Half and Half, you know the score, so f**k off back to the megastore!

The half and half scarf has existed for decades they used to be momento's for cup games normally when big clubs played smaller sides but the grafters realised the day tripper would want one of them rather than a programme which used to be what fans who don't go regularly picked up when they went to a game. It's become a target of fans who blame day tripper fans for the lack of atmosphere at home game but if anything has killed it I'd probably say it's the hardcore who gave up and stopped going naturally that gap was filled by day trippers.

Why would anyone want an official reproduction of the 1968 shirt anyway? If you're a collector you'd want the real deal if you're a fan you'd just buy a knock off one online there's loads of places to buy them.

The club is what it is why would anyone buy anything from the megastore when you can get it much cheaper in places like Sports Direct.

Haven't bought anything from the club in a decade mainly because I stopped growing so all the shirts I have still fit so if I'm playing football I'll wear them.

I assume this is there attempt at casual wear rather than sports wear and it's probably Adidas dictating the prices rather than the club.

Half and Half scarves only use to be done for major European games home and away as souvenirs which is fair enough, now you have clueless fans there for a day out and a corporate freebie walking into the local pubs with a liver bird on their scarf (seen it in Sams, the guy was absolutely clueless as to why he had it taken off him and burnt in front of him), things like this have killed the atmosphere, the club preferring those kind of fans to the hardcore working class, the club has gone from treating fans as supporters who spend their hard earned cash following a team to treating them like clients, your simply a number now, if you go your replaced, they don't care how long you've followed them, how much you have spent going home and abroad, hardcore fans have stopped going because the club have stopped caring about them, feels like your following a corporation now rather than a football team and why spend thousands of your hard earned money when if you say one thing out of line, or stand up for two long, or celebrate to much, your binned out of the ground and banning orders threatened etc.

The club is going the way the club wants, which is becoming more of a tourist site than a football club.

Hate to say it but it is what the club want, are gearing towards and it's happening, atmosphere is currently at an all time low, midweek games are now only 80% full as "day trippers" can't make the journey midweek, so many empty seats midweek and the club ask why, well thats why, careful what you wish for United you might just get it.

I know you go quite a few games @jsp, do you think thats right, not sure you feel on it mate, I have stopped going to OT, they rang me asked me why I gave up my season ticket and they got told the above.

Old Trafford used to have a mix day trippers who don't get to go very often shouldn't be told they can't come because they don't get it or because they're foreign they need to be welcomed in so they get involved in the songs and the atmosphere.

Where I think things have changed is you get a lot more casual fans who are coming to Manchester to experience a PL game rather than a Man Utd game so the "day tripper" has changed like if I went to New York I might go watch the Knicks despite not supporting the Knicks to see an NBA game the PL is sort of going down that route. So you have fans who buy package tours that include tickets for the game and while they're hear they buy a scarf as a momento of the day rather than a programme. They maybe don't realise wearing something like that in a supporters pub is going to get them funny looks and maybe a bit of trouble because they don't understand fan culture and the rivalries.

Thing is I don't think the club care how full the stadium is if the tickets are all sold out I doubt they're really bothered if you turn up or not but I do think the club are starting to notice what is happening they're already talking about trying to improve things and fan engagement is miles better now than it was under Gill/Ferguson the supporters groups/fanzines actually get to meet the club heirachy now but change will be slow.

The Glazers kept jacking the price up and they've clearly hit the limit which is why the prices have been frozen for years but fans have also got old the old trafford crowd is an old crowd more and as people drift away that group that made atmopshere in one area gets smaller and smaller.

The good news is the club seem to recognise something needs to be done about it but it would seem that amongst the fan base most people would rather moan about it and mock those who are trying to do something than get involved and help I think there's still a lot of resentment amongst the fans over the price rises.

I personally think the reason the atmosphere has continued to drop off is we've not had a team we've wanted to cheer on for 5 years and really get behind a team that gets you off for seat and build tension, the team has been quite boring to watch and I think the fans show that give them a more exciting team to watch and I think the place will be buzzing again.

Yeah I don't mean day trippers as in anyone as I'm in the Isle of Man so I have to fly in, no issue with "fans" travelling from wherever to watch the game its the corporate and the going for a PL experience as you say, sat there playing games on their iPad or falling asleep during games, just winds me up when hardcore fans are paying through the nose to try and get tickets etc.

Hopefully the club can do something about it as at the moment it is going one way, if it gets much worse people will hardly be standing when we score, no matter than going mental haha, just horrible to see, the club feels like a different place these days, match day experience is minimal from pub before the game to watching it live etc.

This a football wide problem though isn't it, it's just not the game we grew up with.

Bit like the cinema really, it's all bout the periphery, spent more on popcorn than the film ticket. The film is secondary.

I mean it's not a club anymore you don't belong to it and they removed it from the badge. I mean you might pay for a membership but that's only to get access to tickets you get nothing in return modern football is much more like the American franchise model. I think it's a joke you have to become a member just to be able to try and buy tickets through the club on an official basis.

You could take the Premier League and transport all 20 teams to say China in 20 new stadiums and the stadiums would all be full and very little would change it's a sport now marketed at the TV spectator rather than the match going fan. So when a person who normally watches on TV goes to a game they behave like they would when watching on TV. TV money fuels the game now not attendances so the match going fan has less of a voice than they did which is why things are the way they are and fans generally are poorly organised and not always willing to work with fans of other clubs in support of the greater good. I mean Liverpool had that walk out over ticket prices a few seasons back if that had been in Germany other clubs would've walked out in solidarity to send messages to their own board instead we'd rather laugh at them then moan when it happens to us.

It's only a matter of time before these games abroad start happening like they have with American sports because the money on offer is huge and the talk of expanding the CL is back on the horizon again, my guess is within 5 years the community shield won't be at Wembley anymore it'll be in a different host city every year.

I mean the atmosphere at every PL ground is on it's backside compared to where things were 20 years ago maybe even 10 years ago and you compare it to what we see when we go abroad the fans there are much more vocal and they seem to be more organised into putting on displays and building an atmosphere before and during a game it's hostile. I do think a lot of that is because clubs depend on the fans as TV revenues just aren't the same in these leagues.

They tried this J stand/singing section thing and it hasn't worked as the area is to small and it's right below a corporate area (I know this because I've sat in said corporate area more than once) so it doesn't really build there and spread like they'd hoped, there's talk it may expand or relocate in 2019.

One thing that might change it is rail seating and the club are 100% behind putting an area in if the law changes to allow it but that feels at least 2-3 years away by then it might be to late.

As for things like these shirts the club will always try and cash in on it's history and present something as limited edition to make an extra buck that's the business model they need to maximise revenues to make sure there's something left behind for them after they've paid all the bills.

Utd is now a business first and football club second and it will never go back.

you know what JSP I am going one further, I see a day the big euro clubs form a league and travel that around the world.

I think it’s the whole ‘I’m a better supporter than you’ malarkey. Assume.

I just can’t believe they would charge over £100 for a top. I’d have bought it at £60.

I just can’t believe they would charge over £100 for a top. I’d have bought it at £60.

yeah, I think would have bought it at £60

It's a bit much 120 euro's it comes up as for me, I could get a really nice La Coste top for that and get change.

I bought a retro top a few years back, from the 70's and it's not great material for washing, goes really hard. I wonder if this the same, retro material as well as retro kit.

Why do these type of threads always get derailed into Top Red nonsense?

It's a good discussion about the direction of the club and how it now treats the fans the same as most big modern football clubs do.

You seriously want a long winded thread talking about whats on sale in the club shop?

Calm down jesus

Yeah mate the prices are just insane, worst part is the corporate people who come over will pay it, so they just keep on charging, half and half, £100 shirts, see the Inter players last year had their Instagram hastags on the back of their shirts rather than their names, the way its going mate.

You have to accept sometimes the world changes social media is the way that clubs/players interact with fans now old media is dying the newspaper business model is sending them all bankrupt as people dont pay for their news anymore when you can get it for free.

I think you have to look at this as a one off thing aimed at the more affluent adult fan it's a luxury limited edition thing so it's going to be a bit pricey and it isn't aimed at kids. Like I said it's more casual wear than sports wear and it's probably the clubs first attempt at a designer style top than a replica.

Yeah mate social media has totally changed the face of the game, thought your comparison was spot on regarding the US franchise, the way its all going mate (we allowed to talk about that, bit of topic haha)

Yeah mate the prices are just insane, worst part is the corporate people who come over will pay it, so they just keep on charging, half and half, £100 shirts, see the Inter players last year had their Instagram hastags on the back of their shirts rather than their names, the way its going mate.

is that for real :-O

Apparently so buddy, not checked myself so one of the lads was telling me this morning on way to work.

jeez

If I were player I would go with a really long name to p off the guy who does the printing :)

Thought they took the shirts off before kick off.

In a few years the players will look like Nascar drivers with all sorts of sponsors on their shirt then after games it'll be off with the club shirt and putting on hats and stuff for post game interviews.

@Mr C the last thing you want on social media is a long username takes up to many previous characters

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back