City banned from Champions League for two seasons

Can see this getting very legal now it’ll be appeal after appeal as City look to outspend UEFAs lawyers.

My guess is it gets reduced to 1 year on appeal and City accept it and move on.

Be interesting to see what the impact is 1 year out I can see players accepting 2 years might be hard to take.

Now city are banned from the CL for 2 years does 5th get their spot?

Yes but my guess is City will be lodging enough appeals that any ban will eventually be deferred for a year until the appeals are heard.

I can’t see CAS ruling on this case within the next few months.

Yes but my guess is City will be lodging enough appeals that any ban will eventually be deferred for a year until the appeals are heard.

I can’t see CAS ruling on this case within the next few months.
Such a shame if that’s the case I got my hopes up for a sec

Whatever happens, something will happen to city. They have got to make an example of them otherwise everyone will be getting away with it. I say just give us the league when we came second, that will do haha.

Whatever happens, something will happen to city. They have got to make an example of them otherwise everyone will be getting away with it. I say just give us the league when we came second, that will do haha.
I think 2 full seasons of no CL will see the bandwagon City fans desert them in droves. Forever the noisy neighbors.

2 seasons out of CL also means CL revenue so spending will be restricted again as they look to rebuild.

Premier League May also punish them if they’re proven to have submitted false accounts to them as well.

If Pep did leave that’s city gone ,no Pep no trophies.
Wouldn’t go that far, they still have the financial clout to buy the best players. Obviously not being in the CL (probably will win on appeal) won’t help attracting those sort of players but doubt it’ll be a disaster for them. I think with them it’s how they replace guys like David Silva, Aguero/Fernandinho when they go and they still haven’t replaced Kompany either.

Wouldn’t go that far, they still have the financial clout to buy the best players. Obviously not being in the CL (probably will win on appeal) won’t help attracting those sort of players but doubt it’ll be a disaster for them. I think with them it’s how they replace guys like David Silva, Aguero/Fernandinho when they go and they still haven’t replaced Kompany either.
Financial clout yes look what we’ve spent in 7 years and look where we are and replacing silva Fernandinho probably aguero is impossible like replacing class of 92

Losing Pep would certainly hurt them as a team he’s a fantastic coach but it all depends how they replace him they look like a club who already have that succession plan in place.

I think so far they’ve done some clever buying to future proof the team signing Bernardo Silva and Rodri before David Silva and Fernandinho retire. The one they have got wrong was Kompany they backed John Stones that didn’t really work out and it’s left them short at the back.

I felt City would look to go big this summer to sort their problems but that might to tough now

imagine if the FA look into it too, and then take away their titles and give them to 2nd place :)

Anyway, back to reality, I think it will probably get halved like Chelsea's. If the FA look into and drop points, it wont matter as they wouldn't qualify for CL anyway.

City have so much money, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets dropped completely.

If Pep goes, I'm not sure it would be because of this, but it's a good excuse for him to get out. Poch in.

Ok so just say they get Banned for 1 year , they’ve got David silva, Kompany , Fernandinho, Aguero, to replace then Pep goes and Poch comes in who hasn’t won anything , I think this could be bad time’s for City even if they spend millions to put rite doesn’t guarantee anything. Just got to think of a way to get rid of Klopp now ahaha

CAS appeal starts tomorrow a ruling isn't expected to come quickly but it will come before next seasons tournament starts.

If City get this ban over turned then FFP is basically dead from what's been leaked they've been caught red handed fiddling the books to cheat the FFP rules if that doesn't get you a ban then every team will be doing it.

Most seem to be saying the appeal to CAS is likely an attempt to get it reduced to a 1 year ban from 2 years it's very unlikely the ban is lifted.

Football is totally corrupt and Champions League is the epitome of secret cash deals. It would not surprise me at all for them to get a suspended sentence of 1 year with a token fine.

Football is totally corrupt and Champions League is the epitome of secret cash deals. It would not surprise me at all for them to get a suspended sentence of 1 year with a token fine.

If UEFA don't come down hard on City they'll lose all the top clubs they need to show they've gone for the maximum penalty against them otherwise they risk losing the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Utd, Liverpool, Juventus, Munich. These clubs don't want newcomers being able to pump money into football that pushes up their costs. City aren't a powerful enough voice to get the special treatment in my opinion.

If they don't enforce FFP these clubs could look at going out on their own for a tournament that is invite only NFL style and FIFA would back it because they hate UEFA.

It just proves that UEFA are racist because they would not even consider being this tough on racism within the game. I would rather they be more tougher on that than because a club has wealthy owners.

It just proves that UEFA are racist because they would not even consider being this tough on racism within the game. I would rather they be more tougher on that than because a club has wealthy owners.
Oh give over, if you want to talk about racism in footbal why don’t you start a thread on it instead of tainting every other thing with your shite

The club fans being racist isn't the clubs breaking the rules of the game like we have here with City and a clear breach of the rules BY THE CLUB. Whilst I understand the need to punish clubs whose fans are racist can you really hand out a fine/suspension this heavy to a club for behaviour of fans who aren't officially linked to the clubs in any way.

If fans thought it would get teams thrown out for 2 years you'd end up with fans dressing up as rival fans and being racist.

Also society needs to stop carelessly throwing around the word racist at the moment. Watering down the word and doing nothing to help those that are affected.

There is much more Uefa and Fifa can do to curb racism in football.

This is a different matter though, corruption needs to be dealt with as well as racism, not instead of.

UEFA just don't want to make racism their problem it's why they're pretty soft touch in dealing with it football can't solve racism governments need to sort out issues with racism.

UEFA also can't fine clubs £10m every time there's racism because small clubs would go bust off that so they have to make the penalty something everyone can pay but where they can be serious is banning clubs who repeatedly break rules same way they are doing with City for breaking FFP rules.

The easiest place to start is international football. Ban countries from tournaments. Then that might trickle down to the club sides.

Or just ban all the league clubs like the English 80's hooligan ban.

off topic though

Comparing racism with breaking financial rules is just whataboutery at it's finest just changing the topic to not answer the question.

100% clubs who consistently break the rules should get banned and the ban should stretch to include all clubs from that country and their associations but football clubs are part of society and fans reflect society so they are pretty screwed in terms of doing anything about it.

Please stop. Ridiculous talk. So Liverpool fans go to Turkey. Racially abuse a player. You want United kicked out the Champions league on the behavior of their fans.

Assuming Winnie Red is a United fan. It's not whataboutery at all. It's just being ridiculous. It's saying you can't have a single conversation without someone bringing race in to it.

If you're punishing all nations clubs on the behavior of one set of fans you may as well kick us all out of the league for City breaking FFP rules. That's how silly the suggestion is.

just saying that something extreme like that worked for hooliganism. So in extreme cases maybe it could work, but no, not for the odd random attack. Let's be honest, no one on this forum is going to be able to answer that problem, because it's such a difficult topic. In some countries it's ingrained in their culture. How do you go about changing that, I don't know, but it needs to be done.

as for city and FFP, if they have broken the rules, they need banning, it's the same as cheating.

I'm not suggesting one strike and you're all out I'm suggesting persistent offences needs to carry a heavy punishment that means all your clubs and your national teams get booted out.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back