City banned from Champions League for two seasons

I didn't read it, but I saw a headline saying things were looking positive for city, Wenger was helping them! or something he said did. When I clicked the link the page was blank.

CAS have heard the case and will deliver their ruling in July.

Considering Wenger was a huge advocate for financial control I think he even created the phrase financial doping when Chelsea started splashing cash around, I doubt he's helped them.

I can't see the ban being reduced it will either be 2 years or nothing and if it's nothing then City will be going to other courts to fight UEFA.

01-254x348.jpg
New season jacket set

Rumour is they'll be allowed to compete in the CL next year.

Wouldn’t pay any attention to rumours on this it’s a legal ruling so it won’t be leaked or briefed to journalists.

City and UEFA don’t even get the verdict until an hour before it goes public.

Broke the rules but hey why don’t we give you a smaller fine and exclude the ban.

Ps - thanks for the briefcase full of cash.

Claims from UEFA were not fully established or ‘time barred’ so basically they probably did wrong but because it was so long ago they were like meh too much time has passed. It really is a joke.

Rules are rules if you are time barred you are time barred.

The fine was for failing to co-operate with UEFA not for doing anything wrong.

It still smells super fishy - why didn’t they co-operate? Did they hold off for as long as possible because they knew they did something wrong?

Hey ho, it’s finished now. They could well have done something dodgy but maybe that’ll never come up. I believe this decision can be appealed to the Supreme Court but that may be a waste of everyone’s time.

They may not have been banned but the lines from CAS were that they didn’t 100% do anything wrong but just there were barriers in the investigations. Their reputation will still be tarnished slightly by this.

Well going back to how this all came about it all started with someone stealing confidential emails from their servers and handing them over to investigative journalists.

City know they did wrong and obviously their lawyers will have got all over this stuff worked out what could hurt them and what couldn't as it's not what you know it's what you can prove in court. From the sound of it UEFA didn't have the evidence to backup what they knew was going on.

UEFA will be fuming this has been over turned as FFP is basically dead now and the big clubs will be unhappy that the rules have been broken and nothing has happened to City.

Just one of these things really everyone can move on from it now.

to be honest, I only care if it costs united a place in the CL

Otherwise i'm not interested, I imagine all clubs do dodgy stuff.

It’s now been released so expect this story to do the rounds again in the next few days.

Will be interesting to see what it says.

There’s plenty of twitter threads and basically CAS felt UEFA didn’t have enough evidence to get a conviction.

The emails that were leaked weren’t enough as City refused to provide the original copies just claimed they had been doctored.

Some evidence was also time barred.

Basically City signed a 350m 10 year shirt deal with Etihad when the new owners came in this deal was renegotiated 3 times to bring the overall length of the deal down to 4 years. I mean why Etihad would want to shorten the length of that great deal who knows. Worth noting both Juventus and Bayern did similar deals with sponsors who also had shares in the club.

Basically UEFA had no evidence that the family who own both Etihad and City interfeared in any business transactions between the two parties. City did a good enough job covering their tracks despite accepting a massive fine 5 years ago that means they getaway with it. It was all based on suspicion not fact and that’s why it fell apart.

As the saying goes it’s not what you know it’s what you can prove in court.

It’s proved a fundamental flaw in FFP which is if clubs aren’t going to be honest then it all falls apart.

Who gives a s**t anymore, its done and it proves football is as corrupt as it's always been It was only ever a back door to the Champions League for us anyway that we didn't really want if we finished 5th. We got 3rd and we're in it on merit now and can hopefully meet and beat City in the final next year

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back