Chris Smalling to leave United?

Can’t see it to be honest. Out of our centre back options I would say Smalling would be the last Jose would want to get rid of. He’s not world class but he’s not as injury prone as our other centre backs.

Obviously if an offer came in I’m sure it would be considered but right now I don’t think Smalling will go anywhere.

Mr C

I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold him, I would be surprised if he was the first

I think Smalling stays over Jones and Rojo. Jose has turned to him in the big games more than any of the other cbs.

jsp

Rumour apparently started on Reddit odds dropped due to a few bets in quick succession.

jsp

I have faith in Jose. 2 trophies and a league runner's up place would suggest it would be churlish not too.
Counter argument to that is in 2 seasons despite heavy investment he’s been a long way off the title and out of the race by Christmas.

I know last season is skewed a bit by City’s ridiculous run dropped something like 2 points from the first 20 odd games but that first season under him we were way off.

We need some of that old Mourinho magic next season if we want to win the title.

As for Smalling I don’t see a problem with him being in the squad but he shouldn’t be starting regularly but it’s on the so called better players to keep him out of the team.

Red Warrior

So somebody tell me, as it stands and we don't get any other players (surely we will get 1 at least, prob a cb) how will Jose change things for the better with just Fred being the difference? Why will he play any different than last season cos we have Fred. The only way he could possibly play any different is if he had a new lb, cb and rb so he can play his counterattacking style of football like at Madrid and this clearly isn't going to happen!

He clearly doesn't trust the back 4, whoever he picks, so how will anything change? The only other way it wil l change is if HE changes and changes his style of play and I can't see that happening either!

So, more of the same next season!

It will probably be more of the same, Fred and Pereira will add more dynamism to the midfield (if Pereira stays) but the defence still is a worry. It’s a worry mainly because week in week out you never know who’s gonna play, whether that’s because of rotation or our injury prone centre backs sneezing and putting their back out. Our defence doesn’t get any consistency and therefore can not build a defensive partnership, you cannot downplay the importance of knowing each other’s games back there. Then well if it’s Valencia and Young at wing backs again I don’t hold much hope for the new season.

Although on paper a midfield three of Fred, Matic and Pogba plus an attacking trio of Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial/Rashford/Lingard does look exciting on paper.

Red Warrior

it does indeed look tasty but as last season proved, Jose doesn't trust our dodgy defence therefore it stifles our play.

jsp

As it stands not much will change maybe with a settled formation the silly points dropped around Xmas to weaker sides might not happen but it’ll be the same sort of football all over again and regardless of who we sign that would be happening.

Managers set the style not the players. Players play to the tactics set by the manager.

Still think the squad is to big news trimmed.