League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons

Chris Smalling | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Chris Smalling | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
Chris Smalling | Match Discussion thread 2013/14
Chris Smalling | Match Performance Thread

League Cup: Northampton Town 1-3 Manchester United - 21st September 2016

Dominant performance in the second half.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-1 Leicester City - 24th September 2016

Important goal that helped settle the team.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Chelsea 4-0 Manchester United - 23rd October 2016

Absolutely shocking performance.

Stinker of a performance. He was the reason we went on the back foot. Unfortunately we don't have anyone else to call on now that bailly is injured.

I've always thought that Smalling is a bit streaky, an accident waiting to happen, but as you say who else have we got now that Bailly is injured.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Middlesbrough - 31st December 2016

Partly to blame for Middlesbrough's goal. He and others could have done better.

Poor game really. First game since the Chelsea game though and didn't play much before that either so clearly struggling this season, gone from first choice last season to 4th this at the moment but Bailly is away now so needs to step up.

Unforgivable how he just stopped defending right before we conceded. Throw your body into that shot Mike!

Promptly subbed by the gaffer. Hope Mike got the memo. No messing around back there in 2017.

FA Cup: Manchester United 4-0 Reading - 7th January 2017

Better in his best position.

Premier League: Stoke City 1-1 Manchester United - 21st January 2017

His quality on the ball was awful.

FA Cup: Manchester United 4-0 Wigan Athletic - 29th January 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Leicester City 0-3 Manchester United - 5th February 2017

One of United's better players. He was very good in the first half; he was dominant.

I'd like to see him and Bailly get an extended run at centre half. Rojo and Jones have done very well but realistically Smalling and Bailly are the best two of the bunch.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 St Etienne - 16th February 2017

Back in the groove and playing with confidence.

FA Cup: Blackburn 1-2 Manchester United - 19th February 2017

Caught ball watching for Blackburn's goal.

Premier League: Middlesbrough 1-3 Manchester United - 19th March 2017

Awful for Middlesbrough's goal. I thought he was fine other than the mistake and won most aerial duels.

Not had a good season at all for me, expect better from a defender at 27.

International Friendly: Germany 1-0 England - 22nd March 2017

Smalling has withdrawn from the England squad due to injury.

Not had a good season at all for me, expect better from a defender at 27.

That promise we say at the start of last season seems to have gone we maybe thought he'd finally cracked it but he's kind of reverted back to where he was before that when most people thought he was finished at Utd. He's very poor on the ball for a PL CB especially at the top clubs where defenders enjoy lots of possession and his general defending has dropped a level this season what I don't particularly like about him is a bit like Jones he's always in a recovery position whereas the top defenders are proactive and clear the dangers before they really become a problem. Smalling was a massive gamble when we signed him ÂŁ10m for a 20 year old who'd hardly played in the PL he's had a pretty good career just think it's time for him to find a fresh challenge and the change of club might work wonders just like it did with Johnny Evans who's doing very well at WBA

I don't think Mourinho really rates him either and could easily see Smalling & Jones moved on in the summer if Mourinho can get 2 new CB's if he can only get 1 then he'll probably keep Jones.

I agree jsp about him being poor on the ball. It's amazing how he has not improved his ball skills, every time he receives the ball he looks like he could very well fall over, takes him about twelve touches to get control of it half the time. I do like him as a defender and I wouldn't discount him yet but I do think if we brought in Lindelof he'll be the one to get the cut.

I'm not sure you can say Mourinho doesn't rate him, he's started him when available and given him the captain's armband on numerous occasions too.

I'm not sure you can say Mourinho doesn't rate him, he's started him when available and given him the captain's armband on numerous occasions too.

He was made vice captain with Carrick at the start of the season which is why he gets the armband but Zlatan is really leading this team regardless who wears the armband.

He called him out at the start of the season over injuries and put Jones/Rojo in ahead of him but for some reason he won't play Rojo & Bailly together just embrace the madness Jose.

It's just a vibe I pick up obviously none of us know what Jose thinks of his players but I don't expect him to last long he's not good enough to be a starter at Utd he's 27 now time to move on. Considering where he started he's done well to have the career he's had but he's just not quite good enough

I agree but not seen any signs from Mourinho myself. Perhaps he's used this season to give everyone a fair chance if they've wanted it and will review the situation at end of the season. For me there's 10 (maybe more) players with their futures in doubt. Mourinho doesn't usually have this big a squad.

I agree but not seen any signs from Mourinho myself. Perhaps he's used this season to give everyone a fair chance if they've wanted it and will review the situation at end of the season. For me there's 10 (maybe more) players with their futures in doubt. Mourinho doesn't usually have this big a squad.

I think that's right doubts over so many in the squad plus guys on loan deals who had chances last season coming back I think we could see a lot of guys go this summer.

I doubt both Jones & Smalling will go but if a new CB is coming in the 1 has to probably go

Rooney is back wonder if he'll get a start in the absence of Zlatan I hope not I'd rather we start Rashford through the middle

Tuenzebe in the squad wonder if he'll make the bench.

Premier League: Arsenal 2-0 Manchester United - 7th May 2017

He should have been tighter to Welbeck for Arsenal's second.

Europa League Final: Ajax 0-2 Manchester United - 24th May 2017

His best performance of the season.

Absolutely, threw his head at anything. His previous experience of playing with Blind probably helped him in getting a start tonight. Whether it's enough to keep him here is another thing though.

It was probably part of the tactics but he constantly gave the ball away by not being prerpared to take touches just smashing the ball long all the time or heading it clear but also clearing our entire attack with the header. He played within his limits but his distribution from the back was awful and I think a lot of our problems in terms of keeping the ball came from him not being prepared to risk relatively simple passes that a top player should be able to make.

While Mourinho likes his defenders to be defenders first I think he knows they need to be much better on the ball than Smalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back