Sideshow Bob

180px-Sevilla_cf_200px.png
V
220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Wednesday, 21st February 2018
Champions League Round of 16 First Leg

Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium
19:45 GMT

Tricky tricky game Sevilla have great European pedigree over recent years but they sacked their manager earlier in the season so it’s not been plain sailing this season.

Good news

Pogba trained today after illness
Bailly was fit to play 5 minutes vs Huddersfield. To soon to come back?

Bad news

Herrera & Rashford remain doubts which does limit the way we can setup
Fellaini still out with a knee injury.

Will Mourinho be brave enough to start McTominay as surely Carrick is out having played at Huddersfield.

The other English sides have set a high bar for away performances but we are not in great form and I think at best Utd scrape a 2-1 win. We need to get the away goal.

DDG

Valencia
Bailly
Jones
Shaw

Pogba
Matic
McTominey (if Carrick can't do two games in a week)

Sanchez
Lukaku
Martial

@jsp Why is Fellaini out with a knee injury bad news? :):):)

I think it will business as usual. Tight everywhere, don't concede and try and nick an away goal. Another boring night of watching Utd!

Not sure, to be honest with Fellani I think they are just making it a little worse than it is, rumours over weekend he has agreed a contract with Galatasary, good riddance to be honest

@jsp Why is Fellaini out with a knee injury bad news? :):):)

I think it will business as usual. Tight everywhere, don't concede and try and nick an away goal. Another boring night of watching Utd!

I'm no Fellaini fan but we are struggling for numbers in midfield with Herrera out and Carrick hardly featuring plus Pogba's mystery illness he's not a bad option to have like it or not based on form this season he's our 3rd best centre mid as Carrick & Herrera haven't really contributed much for different reasons.

This lot are 5th in La Liga 6 points behind Madrid and have a goal difference on -4 we should be able to dominate them but we all know what's coming like you say park the bus and hope for something on the break. Liverpool, City or Spurs I think would go to Sevilla and batter this lot there's goals to be had against them think they shipped 5 to Betis & Eibar recently.

Sevilla are obviously not as good as they once were but still a threat clearly. Liverpool destroyed them in Seville for a half but then Sevilla came back and showed some spirit so the game but it was mainly down to Liverpool’s defensive frailties, so it is there for the taking to be honest.

I think it’s highly likely that McTominay will start this one, I think Carrick will start versus Chelsea so he needs to sit this one out. Shame Herrera is out because he’d be a nailed on starter for this one I think.

As for the result, I can see is scoring a couple but think Sevilla will score too. Going for a narrow 2-1 win.

I'm not going to put my customary JM moan in here. Just like you say @jsp we know what to expect!

He was doing it in the Europa League last season away to mid table French and Spanish sides a leopard doesn't change his spots he think this is the best way to win a tie over 2 legs so why would he change it?

My thing with it is we're just not very good at playing his way we don't really defend that well, we hardly press the ball and we leave our striker woefully isolated against at least 2 defenders then moan that he can't hold anything up. I don't have a problem with this type of football if you do it well like his Chelsea sides did and Atletico Madrid have done it can be incredibly effective but we just aren't good at playing this way.

It seemed against Huddersfield that he left Sanchez & Mata up quite high probably because he didn't really see the threat from Huddersfield causing us much trouble but we rarely exploited that fact because midfield couldn't win the ball back to then release them. Will he let the wide forwards stay high up vs Sevilla or will he have them deep covering the full backs? If he wants them to do that then we have to pay Sanchez as the number 10 and put him close to Lukaku if we are sitting deep we have to keep 2 up top.

yeah if Pogba is fit, then him with the front three should, in theory, be enough to grab an away goal or two, good thing about McTominey is he gets stuck in, he will be disciplined in his work, track runners and do a job in there, plus he has a good tendency to carry the ball out of defence and is quite strong on it when breaking, him and Matic protecting, let Pogba get forward and hopefully have some input, Sanchez and Lukaku seem to be getting on the same wavelength so hopefully we should be ok.

hahahaha mate I hear 6-2-1-1 is the way forward!!!! Roll on Wednesday lol

Liverpool, City or Spurs I think would go to Sevilla and batter this lot there's goals to be had against them think they shipped 5 to Betis & Eibar recently.

Liverpool have been to Sevilla already this season. They were 3-0 up and drew the game. They also drew the home tie 2-2.

I think you need to play safe in these games, get an away goal and try not to concede. We aren't going to win the prem so I would like to stay in this tourny, meet city and ruin their parade. I don't care how we play to achieve that.

Zlatan, Pogba, Herrera & Rashford all trained today not sure if Zlatan will be match ready as he's only just back in training.

Rojo, Jones & Fellaini all likely to miss the game with injury

What's up with Jones?

Be a big call if he plays Herrera, Pogba, Bailly having all just come back to training, maybe not Pogba so much as he has only missed the one game but didn't look right against Newcastle.

Not sure Herrera deserves to play ahead of McTominey to be honest, thought of Smalling playing the away leg scares the hell outta me.

Just say injury has he played since Spurs? Didn't realise Rojo was injured as well.

Guess it depends on how we play if we're going deep and playing counter attack Smalling doesn't really both me if we want to press high up he does bother me. The big problem I have with Smalling is I think with him in the team it's hard for us to play out from the back because he's not great on the ball and teams know it so we tend to just get De Gea to kick long. I still think in the Jones vs Smalling debate I'm still just about team Smalling because his mistakes tend not to be complete comedy and I think he can be useful playing the way Mourinho wants to play whereas I just think Jones remains an accident waiting to happen.

I'm more worried that he's going to start Young at left back over Shaw the only thing that gives me hope is that he started both vs Huddersfield so you'd think Shaw is more likely to do the 2 games in a week than Young. Saying that Darmian might reappear from whatever hole he's been hiding out in has anyone checked to see if he wasn't sold in January?

My guess is

DDG

Valencia Smalling Bailly Young

Herrera Matic Pogba

Martial Lukaku Sanchez

The big problem I have with Smalling is I think with him in the team it's hard for us to play out from the back because he's not great on the ball and teams know it so we tend to just get De Gea to kick long.

Without wanting to sound like a broken record (!), the defenders and De Gea resort to hoof ball due to the imbalance in midfield. Pogba should do more to make himself available for a passing option, instead he plays too high up the pitch. The lack of passing options puts added pressure on Matic and the centre backs (who are all guilty of resorting to hoof ball). A midfield partnership similar to Scholes-Carrick would make a significant difference to the team. Both were prepared to drop deep to collect the ball off the centre backs. The video below is an example (prior to Scholes being replaced) of the Scholes-Carrick partnership and how close they were to each other.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Liverpool went out and played against Sevilla and went in 3-0 up at half time. They came out in the second half content to sit and soak up the pressure and protect their lead and it all went wrong. Moral of this story is Sevilla won't handle a direct, aggressive approach. Sit and let them come onto us is asking for trouble.

It's obvious he will be playing 4231, Jose is just too predictable. I will eat my own boxer shorts if he doesn't.

Bailly not played in months, can't see him starting and if he does he will surely be well off the pace. Rojo is injured, Jones 50/50. Lindelof and Smalling only proper fit CB's.

I think we really would benefit from a 3 man midfield in this with Pogba-Matic-Herrera being the 3 I would play. I know Herrera hasn't played much or been in great form but this is the sort of game, especially in Spain, he will excel in.

Be an interesting night.

Worth noting that since Sevilla played Liverpool they've sacked their manager so the way the team play will be slightly different now and we don't have the sort of fire power Liverpool do to blow a team away like they can we are not a front foot in your face team.

I might be wrong but I think Herrera's last game was away at Everton where he actually played pretty well in that midfield 3 I guess it just depends on how rusty he is and you wonder if Mourinho might have him pencilled in for the league game on Sunday to do the man marking job on Hazard again like he did last season.

The Bailly one was strange as I assumed he's start vs Huddersfield but putting him on the bench and giving him 5 minutes was a bit odd as it wasn't like we were hanging on.

Worth noting that since Sevilla played Liverpool they've sacked their manager so the way the team play will be slightly different now and we don't have the sort of fire power Liverpool do to blow a team away like they can we are not a front foot in your face team.

I know exactly what you are saying but this is what I have been moaning about all season. This is how stupid it is..... Liverpool have a front 3 of Mane, Salah and Firmino. We have Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial. I'd be choosing our 3 over their 3 any day. It's down to JM negative/defensive tactics and a crap midfield that we aren't playing football like they do, or at least some sort of attacking football.

Yeh Bailly had like, 2 minutes. Surely a good 20 to 30 would have been much more beneficial.

The Bailly sub was just to waste time and I think give the crowd a lift what he’s back.

I’m absolutely buzzing for today!

Haha I'm excited but trying to hold it down, I just know what is gonna happen and what to expect

I know exactly what you are saying but this is what I have been moaning about all season. This is how stupid it is..... Liverpool have a front 3 of Mane, Salah and Firmino. We have Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial. I'd be choosing our 3 over their 3 any day. It's down to JM negative/defensive tactics and a crap midfield that we aren't playing football like they do, or at least some sort of attacking football.

Yeh Bailly had like, 2 minutes. Surely a good 20 to 30 would have been much more beneficial.

I'm not going to lie I'm taking their 3 over ours all day every day based on this season as the 3 of them actually link together really well and they're all scoring a bucket load of goals. Man for man ours might be better players but when you put the 3 together the sum of their parts for them is way way bigger than our 3.... but it's still early days for our front 3 as Sanchez only joined a month ago.

It's a completely different style of play Liverpool are aggressive and in your face Utd sit off and look to exploit gaps you leave on the counter attack, personally I'd rather we play the way Liverpool play but we don't. I don't think it's a midfield issue it's a complete team mindset everyone at Liverpool is on the front foot pressing forward as a team whereas Utd everyones natural reaction is to recover to a position rather than try to win the ball back when we lose it.

If our front 3 played for them they'd do better but if their back 4 played for us they'd do better too. One manager isn't great at setting up an attack, one isn't great at setting up defences. Managers seem very stubborn to bring in coaches that can add more to those aspects, assistant managers/coaches should provide different views but seem to just be "yes" men these days.

Was listening to a podcast earlier. Sevilla apparently in good form under their new manager. 3 wins in their last 3 games.

Think we might need a goal or two tonight if Smalling and Lindelof start, that CB pairing fills me with zero confidence, surely he has to go 433 tonight, we can't be getting overrun.

Matic Pogba with Lindelof Smalling behind them, jesus wept lol

I like Lindelof and to be honest CL football is probably more his game, he'll get there in the prem I'm sure.

An away goal is important, 1 0 win or a score draw will be ok, hopefully no injuries to key players for Chelsea.

He looks like he is getting better but he still worries the hell out of me, always looks like he has a mistake in him.

He looks like he is getting better but he still worries the hell out of me, always looks like he has a mistake in him.

you should be used to that after years of Smalling and Jones :-D

I haven't really given much attention to tonight's game to be honest, don't know why, as I think we could win this trophy, that would be typical Jose. I just want to beat Chelsea.

Strange how we've seen very little of him for a good few months. Then in typical JM fashion when we do see him, he plays RB ffs

you should be used to that after years of Smalling and Jones :-D

I haven't really given much attention to tonight's game to be honest, don't know why, as I think we could win this trophy, that would be typical Jose. I just want to beat Chelsea.

Haha oh mate I'm far to use to it, heart can't take it anymore haha

couple of web sites running with Pogba been dropped.

don't think I believe really. Would be a strange one

Jesus that would be some call considering were struggling with injuries, if he drops him tonight then I think Jose could have a serious problem on his hands.

How's he been dropped when he didn't start the last game?

The reports seem to be that he'll be on the bench as he's not ready to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back