1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champions League: Man Utd vs FC Basel

Discussion in 'Matchday Discussion' started by jsp, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Jones & Bailly suspended so Lindelof & Smalling will come in at centre back... think that might have even been confirmed by Mourinho.

Other decisions which will be interesting to see are;

Will he rotate the keeper again this year?
    Darmian or Blind at LB? Could he even be tempted by Shaw with Darmian at RB as Valencia will need rest through the season.
    In midfield does he stick with the 3 or go back to the 2 and bring Mata in?
    Does he maybe consider Carrick for a start?
    Martial or Rashford?

I think he'll be desperate to get the 3 points on the board straight away and get off to a good start but I think there's a few guys who might need a rest after internationals, Bailly gets one anyway but I wonder if we might see Valencia rested as he played twice for Ecuador during international.

My guess

Romero

Darmian Smalling Lindelof Blind

Matic Carrick Pogba

Mhiki Lukaku Martial

2. maxt7

maxt7 Well-Known Member

Think that defense is spot on. I can see why he'd want to give Valencia a rest. I know others might not agree, but i thought he was off it on Saturday, after all the travelling its understandable to be. I Think Mata will come back into the side. Instead of Carrick in your example side. Plus i can see a spanner in the works like a Linguard for Mhiki move.

Dont see anything but a comfortable win, 3 Nil, 4 Nil something like that. I mean Ricky Van Wolfswinkel leading the line? Great way of easing Lindelof in.

3. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Basel have got a weirdly impressive record vs English sides in Europe but I have no idea what their current side is like they've had a few talented lads in recent years who get picked off not sure what they're like at the moment.

Valencia is in his 30's now we can't expect him to do the job he does without giving him some rest and a home game in the CL group seems like the right time to make the change Young would give us a more like for like option but he's not fit yet and if he's already making 2 changes to the back 4 will he risk another one? I think the whole team looked off it on Saturday the internationals really killed our momentum and Stoke away isn't the game you want after that as they're so hard to play against.

The good news in terms of league games is we're playing on Sunday vs Everton who have Europa league on thursday then it's league cup mid week so it might be that he can squeeze these guys a bit then look to rest people vs Burton.

I'm expecting it to be a bit nervy this side doesn't have a lot of CL experience in it which is why I thought he might turn to Carrick in the past I'd be thinking comfortable home win but if Basel start well I can see us having problems hopefully we get the job done and a goal for Lukaku would be nice.

4. Red Warrior

Red Warrior Well-Known Member

2-0 united!

5. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

Mourinho:

6. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Having to change the 2 CB's I think it's best not to change too much else. I'd imagine that's mostly why De Gea starts. Darmian in on left or right a possible. Need a strong front 6 though.

7. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think that's fair with the defence already disrupted might be a case of keeping the full backs who played on Saturday in along with DDG.

I hope he starts Mata over Fellaini/Herrera we're at home we should be looking to be on the front foot so I think we can play the number 10 and trust that Matic/Pogba can dominate the middle of the pitch without needing the 3rd man in there, weirdly despite having that extra man in midfield on Saturday it didn't really feel like we had the extra man as Stoke went so deep there wasn't really a midfield battle.

8. Edgy1968

Edgy1968 Well-Known Member

I hope he does not start messing around changing the keeper, Romero is a top back up and should play league and fa cup games but if you start leaving DDG out for Champions League games your playing with fire, he will be straight on Madrid's radar even more. Europa league last year fair enough but if he starts leaving him out of Champions League games it could cause an issue during the course of the season.

Agree that Valencia was poor on Saturday, as was Darmian, the pair of them just offered zero going forward on Saturday, would love to see Shaw given a run out but can't see it, think he will probably go with Blind and Darmian as RB.

I would be amazed if he plays a 3 man midfield when were gonna have all the ball, I would think he may give Matic a break if anyone and give Carrick a game but I would think he will wait for Burton away next week to do that.

Team for me tonight I think will be

DDG
    Darmian Lindelof Smalling Blind
    Matic Pogba
    Rashford Miki Martial
    Lukaku

9. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

I think we'll go 3 in the middle today. He'll want to get Herrera up to speed. He'll want more protection with that back 4. He'll be more reserved because it's the champions league even though we're at home. I could be wrong but they're the reasons I think we'll see the 3 men in the middle.

10. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Not sure if there will be a 3, maybe if it was an away game but at home I think he'll have faith in Matic and Pogba in the middle with Mkhi back in the number ten role. I also think Lingard will rear his head on the right. Then it's a toss up between Martial and Rashford on the left.

Shame the buggers at BT Sport got the CL gig so can't watch it on tv but I guess a good stream will have to do.

11. Edgy1968

boys if your looking for streams etc, sportsmania.rocks are class, I pay £26 every 6 months and you get every sports channel plus all the pay per view channels as well, can use it on all devices, in case anyone is struggling to watch it

12. Sideshow Bob

Is sportsmania a legal or illegal service?

13. Edgy1968

legal as far as I know mate lol they have a twitter, tweet them and double check but paying for a service so assuming they are regulated/licenced etc

14. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

I couldn't have been more wrong. He's completely dropped from the squad.

No one got that team right though

DDG

Young Lindelof Smalling Blind

Matic Pogba

Mata Mkhi Martial

Lukaku

15. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

think I suggested Young as like for like but though he was injured.

I like that side though both full backs capable of getting forward and delivering quality.

16. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Young is definitely a surprised, like jsp eluded too I thought he was injured too.

Overall though decent side, hopefully Lindelof puts in a good performance. Think we'll nail it 3-0.

17. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Decent start dominating possession but Basel camped in making it hard.

Mhiki has got to score that.

18. IDFD

IDFD Well-Known Member

Why isn't Herrera on the bench in case of this.

19. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Maybe struggling after the weekend?

Fellaini coming on

Could be a struggle now without Pogba our midfield lacks a playmaker to get the balls into Mata/Mhiki.

Hopefully not to serious but even minor hamstring is likely to be 2-3 weeks out.

20. Sideshow Bob

How did Mkhitaryan not score then.

21. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

That's 2 great chances for him 3 if you count the rebound.

Can't keep letting these off the hook.

22. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Quite a few empty seats in there tonight although looks to have filled up a bit after kick off but no atmosphere from the home fans.

23. Sideshow Bob

Duh duh duh Marouane Fellaini, Duh duh duh Marouane Fellaini!

24. O-Dog

O-Dog Well-Known Member

Great play by Young, good header by the big man. Fellaini's done well since coming on.

25. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Great goal.

lol at that defender for falling for Ashley Young's 1 trick don't think that's worked in England for about 5 years haha. Quality delivery from Young

26. Sideshow Bob

Lukaku!

27. Sideshow Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.