Sideshow Bob

220px-FC_Basel_2_stars_transparent_background.png
V
220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Wednesday, 22nd November 2017
Champions League, Group A

St. Jakob-Park
19:45 GMT

I’m guessing he will rotate a bit here as we only need a point to go through and top the group so he will stink it up and play for a point.

My guess is it’ll be a back 3

DDG

Darmian Lindelof Smalling Rojo Blind

Fellaini Matic Pogba

Lukaku Martial

If Bailey is fit he will probably start ahead of Rojo, got a theory that Shaw is being kept out of CL games so he doesn’t get cup tied.

He benched yesterday and him and Rojo did about 30 minutes of warming up but neither were ever going on.

Be interesting to see what the pitch is like it was destroyed during the recent Switzerland vs Northern Ireland game due to the rain.

If the pitch is poor, I hope Pogba isn't risked after a hamstring injury.

If the pitch is poor it’ll more likely be guys like Rojo who isn’t risked and I can’t recall if Zlatan was put in the Euro squad in the end.

Don’t think Pogba is starting this one, yes we still need a point but Jose said himself his time will be managed so think he’ll sit this one. Think it’ll be Matic and Fellaini in the midfield two.

Yeah bit of a nothing game really in that Jose will be happy for not much action, no injuries and take our point and move onto the next game against Moscow that will guarantee us top spot, to be honest I will be happy enough with no injuries no panics nice easy point and move on.

I would not play Pogba or Zlatan, rest them up for Brighton on Saturday, I can see a few fringe players starting, Miki, Lingard, Darmian, Blind, Lindelof, Fellani etc maybe give Rojo 20 minutes, be happy enough

I think if the pitch is still in a bad way there's no way you can play Zlatan & Rojo don't even take them because after their knee injuries the risk is way to high.

Pogba played an hour on Saturday I can see him doing something similar on Wednesday and the same at the weekend but Fellaini is only just back from injury and Herrera missed the internationals so these guys will need to play some football. We actually have league games midweek next week so this might be where he gives the guys who played and travelled with international squads a night off but after getting back to winning ways on Saturday we need to build some momentum.

Basel looked awful in the game at Old Trafford but I don't know if they had an off night or were missing players but they've been a bogey side for many an English club in this competition in recent years and they're normally strong at home so not sure we can take it too easy.

I can't see him going full reserve team but I can certainly see quite a few changes maybe even Romero coming in for a start because if we get the job done and win the group I think the final game at home to CSKA will be kids plus guys like Zlatan & Rojo who will need a start.

Jones, Bailly & Carrick all out injured.

Reports are Valencia, Young & Mata are all being rested.

Mourinho confirmed Zlatan will start on the bench.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lots of changes from the weekend. Rojo with a start is good to see. Probably wouldn’t have played Pogba from the start but sure he’ll only play an hour.

Darmian’s crossing is comical he’s been here 3 years and I think he’s still in single figures for decent crosses.

Playing alright here clearly the better side and should be ahead at this level you have to take the one vs one chance Lukaku had.

1-0 Basel. Pretty deserved in truth.

Wonder if we could just leave Darmian and Blind in Switzerland?

Match day thread closed.

Please use existing Player Match Discussion threads or create new threads to discuss talking points in the Manchester United forum: Manchester United (link to Manchester United forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back