Champions League 2021/22 - Young Boys vs Man Utd - Tuesday 14th September 5:45pm

We need to keep the ball for 5 mins first just to shut this crowd up and lower the tempo

Yeah

He’s playing super safe think he’s worried about set pieces wants Matic height rather than an out and out striker.

You can’t slow it down vs them they are all over us, crowd is with them and ref is booking everyone for time wasting.

We will do well to hold on here to many lads not able to hack a game at this speed

That's a poor result for United that. I know given the circumstances they'll take that but you want to start brightly.

Even when down to 10 men thats an awful performance and awful game management. Was no need to go 5 at the back or bring on Varane. The sub should have been lingard. Go to a 4-4-1. Take Pogba & Donny out the game for Matic and Lingard

Dalot Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Sancho Fred Matic Lingard

Ronaldo

Even with the circumstances if you'd offered me the draw at the sending off i'd have told you to get out of here.

FFS Lingard

What have you done absolute howler.

We’ve gifted them 3 points here through pure stupidity

They run there nuts off but hardly created anything and we go and gift them that.

Shows you the character of this group sadly they can’t handle pressure

Top sides go away and get wins even in tough circumstances and mistakes at this level are ruthlessly punished.

Bottom line... People can say this group isn't that hard but it is. They now likely have to go to Atalanta or Villareal and win whilst avoiding defeat in the other. They'll also need to win probably all 3 home games. They are in a small hole early on.

I think you're all being a bit doom, 10 men for 60 mins, artificial pitch. It's not so bad, just a howler by Lingard.
Plenty of games left in the group

I think you're all being a bit doom, 10 men for 60 mins, artificial pitch. It's not so bad, just a howler by Lingard.
It's a very bad result and I think some fans think this group is easier than it is. I'm not suggesting United go out, they could go and dominate the group from here on but that's a tough group it really is.

Exactly. We’ll comfortably qualify no doubts.

No sending off and we walk that game. Doesn’t absolve the team of blame for the result but it was tough once AWB went.

Think the shape change made sense and so did the subs generally.

They got a lucky break and we gifted them one.

Ole cant factor in stupid decisions like that.

They had a lot of the ball but it was hardly De Gea making save after save

I don't care that we were down to 10 men. Most sides with the victory will manage the game out comfortably it was a shocking piece of game management. It can hardly be questioned how much I like Ole and think he's done well but that was shocking from him.

There is simply no need to make the daft decision to go 5 at the back and have Pogba in a 2 and invite pressure on all game.

Chelsea gave Liverpool a game when down to 10 men for 50mins. We should be able to do the same against the supposedly weakest team in the group.

I thought we went too negative too quickly. No real out ball and shocking in possession. We could not string two passes together. I agree Ole cannot be held responsible for slack play by Lingard, and others at times, but I thought his game management was pretty terrible.

Doesn't this come down to the fact we don't have quality in CM.
I'm not sure the relevance of Liverpool Chelsea, but you put Kante in that team it's a different story.
I can see why they went 5 at the back, but I guess the wing backs couldn't get out.

I'm not going to be too hard, dodgy pitch, hostile, 10 men, nearly made it bar a silly mistake.

I doubt we'll be the only team to drop points there in the group.

We'll still make it through, it's the reverse of last season :D

I know that was poor from both AWB and Lingard, but Ole has cost us that one.
I usually come out in defence of Ole, but this was lost in the dressing room at half time. We played chicken shit scared as soon as AWB got sent off, and instead of galvanizing them and attempting even the slightest attack, Ole bottled it and tried to defend for an hour.

Each of the subs was a defensive step backwards, and an abdication of any attacking threat. 5 at the back was a good idea, if Dalot and Shaw play like wingbacks and join the midfield when we are in possession. Instead we just played with 5 full time defenders. At no point did he try and get pace on along side Ronaldo, bypass midfield and hit them on the break. We were toothless against a team we should've dominated. Fuming!

Also, the Lingard mistake was a Lingard mistake, however the mindset that made his first instinct to look back to the keeper instead of releasing somebody up top came from the manager and the coaching staff instilling fear into the players.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Both by Ronaldo. Inexcusable.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Both by Ronaldo. Inexcusable.

That’s a horrible stat mate, we were awful tonight, yes with 10 men but it felt like backs to the wall for nearly the entire second half, sorry I’m just not accepting anything other than we got this hugely wrong in the second half.

Chelsea gave Liverpool a game when down to 10 men for 50mins. We should be able to do the same against the supposedly weakest team in the group.

Chelsea basically held on for 45 minutes playing back to the walls in a system they started the game with. They start with 5 defenders and 2 holding players every game. They are setup for that sort of task from memory they just sacrificed one of their number 10s and played 3-4-2 for 45 minutes to see out the game. They are also seriously good at keeping the ball under pressure we are very average at this to many players at this club don’t look after the ball well enough.

Ole had started the game with a very attacking line up he had to slowly dismantle it piece by piece to hold on and I think the team did it well. There was only so much he could do to stop the bleeding and holding on was our only hope. I do wonder if maybe his first sub was the mistake should he have been brave and subbed Ronaldo straight away.

Anger for me goes to the player who let us down AWB everyone else worked their nuts off trying to hold on after their team mate let them down. Lingard made a big mistake at the end and will rightfully be criticised for messing up a basic pass back to his keeper but the problems tonight starts and ends with AWB.

I might argue Ronaldo should have gone for Greenwood for mobility. But that's a brave man to make that sub.

Fundamentally, we don't have a CM to play with 10. That's the problem. You really need some quality in there, it highlighted where we all know we are weak

Yeah I think the first sub could have been Van De Beek get us into a 4-3-1-1 quickly but he had to go to a back 3 at half time which probably meant subbing Bruno or Pogba. When we went to the back 3 I think we also needed Matic in with Fred we needed two solid centre mids in front of them and 1 midfielder breaking to get near Ronaldo.

This still feels like very good players playing off the cuff football not a team that works together to get the best out of each other.

I might argue Ronaldo should have gone for Greenwood for mobility. But that's a brave man to make that sub.

Fundamentally, we don't have a CM to play with 10. That's the problem. You really need some quality in there, it highlighted where we all know we are weak
Agreed about the Ronaldo switch. He offered nothing up front on his own because he was too isolated and lacked the pace to get in behind, as shown by his pen claim.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back