Sideshow Bob

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png
V
220px-FC_Barcelona_%28crest%29.svg.png

Wednesday, 10th April 2019
Champions League Quarter Finals 1st Leg
Old Trafford
20:00 BST

They prepared for this game with a 2-0 win to pretty much wrap up La Liga by beating Atletico Madrid.

Atletico stood firm even with 10 men then bang Messi & Suarez come alive and it’s game over.

I think Utd game to go for it put them under pressure as best we can and try to rattle them and take a win back to Spain as they are so good at home.

Feels like the team pretty much picks itself the only question is on the fitness of Rashford who missed the game vs Wolves.

DDG

Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw

Herrera Matic Pogba

Lingard Rashford/Lukaku Martial.

I think we might actually see a midfield diamond with lingard behind 2 strikers to give us the extra body in midfield.

Sadly this really comes down to Messi if he decides he wants to put on a show I think we are powerless to stop it and against our defenders we could be in serious trouble PSG didn’t exactly struggle to create chances at old Trafford.

I saw the Barca team come out of the Hilton about 5:00
‘Twas your perfect time to go take out some of their players with some kicks to the ankles!

I think we have to take a lead to the Nou Camp, I know we beat PSG away but I don’t think lighting would strike twice. Going to be so difficult to keep them out so we will have to score 2 or 3. Whatever happens, it’s so nice to be part of these big European nights again!

Still not heard anything on the fitness of Rashford he is back in training but will he be fit enough to play?

He'll be vital as his movement up top gives us so much more on the counter attacks.

Really unsure about the game ahead tonight, Im hoping that with the calibre of the game we can get OT rocking and spur on the boys.

Had a really strange confidence against PSG but I dont feel that against this Barca side, its a game where we could get tonked 3-0, or we could snatch a 1-0 or 1-1, which wouldn't be an awful result.

Main priority is an obvious one, really need to keep the goals out, but my worry is Messi, he's really hurt us in the CL before and there is every chance he will be up for it again tonight.

Chris Smalling telling Messi to bring it on could be an interesting ploy :(

I can't see our defence coping with Messi and Suarez.

I can see a bit of a mauling - possession wise, 1 - 3

Im going 2-2, although I wouldent be suprised with any result tonight, its a game thats come at a time when we could really do with a win to up the confidence

Seen a few rumours going around that neither Matic or Herrera will make it.

yeah they said that yesterday,

Mctominay will do alright, it's Fred that bothers me.

Lionel Messi has taken on English clubs 30 times, scoring an impressive 22 goals and setting up six more.

Can see us flooding midfield so fully expect it to be a diamond - I just hope we don’t have a back three with Young in it, that would be bordering on suicidal.

I think McTominay wouldn’t do a bad job at all as he’s been good the last few times I’ve seen him. Fred would be tenacious and energetic but liable to a brain fart moment. Don’t thinkMatic would be a big loss but Herrera would.

I just hope Rashford is fit because his pace would scare the Barca defence no doubts.

So we reckon a line up like the below?

De Gea

Young - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw

Fred

McTominay - Pogba

Lingard

Lukaku - Rashford​

Ashley Young is atrocious.

Barca are there to be had defensively but Young wastes everything.

I think atm ole is putting square pegs in round holes. They need to make a decision on who plays right back young or Dalot, and probably substitute the other. Not always the biggest lingard fan but we could do with his legs in there.

We grew more into the game but you do feel that Barca will score again. I agree with the above, I think Lingard would be a decent option to come on.

I think atm ole is putting square pegs in round holes. They need to make a decision on who plays right back young or Dalot, and probably substitute the other. Not always the biggest lingard fan but we could do with his legs in there.

I'm not quite sure what he's doing to be honest. Young is worse than useless. Get Dalot on the right. Alba gets forward so much that Young is a constant outlet.

Can’t see how Ole gets any criticism here. We were easily the better side just didn’t put the ball in the back of the net.

I hope when VAR comes in properly they sort it out. Because tonight it was very poor. Busquets should have walked first half.

Disappointing to lose but Barca are superior in every way and at least we weren’t blown away! It’s probably asking a little much to go to the Nou Camp and take the spoils but you never know.

On a side note, how good was McTominay? You could say he had the best game out of both teams.

Striker is one of the positions I think we need to look at. Lukaku is a bit of a flat track bully and rashford has good potential but for me that's what it is atm.

I hope when VAR comes in properly they sort it out. Because tonight it was very poor. Busquets should have walked first half.

It's only there to deal with straight red card issues I think but I agree Busquets should have been off within 10 minutes that tackle he got away with was such a blatant yellow you shouldn't get a second chance with those sort of things. It's basically dealing with blatant errors which is why it was never going to change the McTominay penalty shout.

As for the game I felt we missed our big chance Barca had an off night and we still didn't force the keeper to make a save the 2 best chances fell to Dalot and Rashford and both missed the target. Barca created two good chances for Suarez and Coutinho and both times they hit the target even if Suarez got a fortunate deflection that took his header in.

I think the subs by Barca changed the game we had them on the ropes in midfield but the fresh legs they put on wiped us out we only had Periera as a change option on the bench really we needed to make it count in that 15-20 minutes spell in the second half and get ourselves back in the team. This is what the good teams do they hurt you when they are on top Utd got on top but didn't hurt Barca always felt like Barca had us where they wanted us when they wanted the ball they took it for long periods when they didn't want it they sat off and let us have it.

I listened on the radio and here are the key things I gleamed:

Barca didn't really trouble us too much
Rashford is still making poor decisions, fair enough he's young
Lukaku need to go and we need a replacement
Every time Young got the ball we lost possession
They said we were being bossed im midfield but they also said Fred had his best game and Mctominay was MOTM - that doesn't add up
Pogba again did nothing in a game again, why would Madrid pay 120m for him?
Smalling was lucky to stay on the pitch
The officials were terrible

Oh, and our team is as tired as the stadium, both need a refurbish.

It's only there to deal with straight red card issues I think but I agree Busquets should have been off within 10 minutes that tackle he got away with was such a blatant yellow you shouldn't get a second chance with those sort of things. It's basically dealing with blatant errors which is why it was never going to change the McTominay penalty shout.

I just don’t get how the powers that be can’t see a second yellow is a blatant game changer. That’s in both first leg home ties now where the opposing team should have been down to 10 men early on. The PSG player who got their goal in the first leg and gave away then pen in the second should have had 3 yellows in the first tie. If you’re going to use the technology to make the correct decisions then make sure the correct decisions are made. Not just pick and choose.

Above are the player ratings from last nights game from L'equipe, what do we think ? theres usually always some arguable verdicts.

Mctominay was our best player, followed next by Fred, which I have just mentioned in another thread, Pogba very quiet again.

Messi was very poor and it’s unlikely we’ll catch him that off form again.

1 goal in 5 at home in the champions league the season. 9 in 4 away. The tie isn’t over. Juventus and PSG are arguably harder stadiums to go to.

Would love some feedback on this lads,

With Koulibaly replacing Smalling
Sancho replacing a midfield player in an attacking role
Wan Bissaka replacing Young

We win that game against Barcelona last night ?

Would love some feedback on this lads,

Wan Bissaka replacing Young

We win that game against Barcelona last night ?

You can stop there. Young gave the ball away 32 times. 12 crosses and not on found a United player.

You can stop there. Young gave the ball away 32 times. 12 crosses and not on found a United player.
Yep, I mentioned this earlier in another thread, he was diabolical last night and we cannot carry on with him in the side.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back