Champions League 2018/19: Juventus v Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
So it's back to Europe with Utd in a spot of bother in the group having not beaten Valencia at home we probably needed to take something off Juventus but the first game showed the gulf in quality between the 2 teams right now is huge.

Utd have improved results since the first game 2 weeks ago but the poor starts to games remain a problem and a team like Juventus will punish that and not let you back into it.

In terms of the squad a few of the injured players are starting to return Sanchez, Lingard, Jones and I think Fellaini are all back but the main question will be over Lukaku who didn't travel to Bournemouth because of a niggle.

If I was picking the team I'd probably look to make 2 changes from Saturday with Matic out for Herrera and Mata out for Rashford. Now the Mata/Rashford thing could happen but there's no way he's dropping his boy Matic despite his really poor form so far this season. Mata isn't being dropped by choice just don't think we can get him into the team with Pogba in this sort of game it puts way to much pressure on the midfield.

The other concern would be over Young with the derby at the weekend and both Dalot/Valencia out will he be able to handle the workload? I guess with the internationals on the horizon again maybe we just have to push Young to play all the games as the only alternative is Darmian who hasn't played since the first game of the season.

In terms of a result I don't really see us getting anything unless Juventus had a massive off night even the home game felt like they beat us without ever really getting out of second gear I think they're the best team in Europe currently so even somehow getting a backs to the walls point would be mega for Utd.

The motivation for Juventus is a win I think secures top spot leaving them 2 spare games to rotate and rest first team players.

We aren’t really in that much trouble though. Valencia failed to beat Young Boys last time out which gave us a reprieve

Still think we need to potentially win in Valencia which given our record away in Europe and our record against Spanish teams could be a problem.

Also, because of the way the fixtures play out Valencia/Young Boys could play a Juventus team with nothing to play for.

Without sounding too pessimistic we are really going to struggle away at Juve and I’m sure we’ll get beaten 2-0 then get smashed by City at the weekend, I really can see them ripping us apart.

BUT, after years of supporting Utd they always seem to pull off the impossible when you least expect it so let’s see.

Anyone heard any team news?

From the training pictures going around it seems like Fellaini is back would be a bit surprised to see him start feels a bit to soon to put him back in from the start if he's not fully up to match speed. Didn't spot Lukaku in any of the photos so can only assume he's out haven't heard anything about who did or didn't travel.

I don't think you can physically bully this Juventus team anyway they're far to clever for it and they can handle themselves as well they are what a Mourinho team used to look like basically capable of adapting to anything you can throw at them. To me it makes sense to try and go after them a bit in midfield with energy play Herrera/Fred/Pogba and try and disrupt their play in midfield and play Sanchez or Rashford at centre forward to try and make it hard for them to play out from the back.

This would be my team

De Gea

Young Smalling Lindelöf Shaw

Fred Herrera Pogba

Lingard Sanchez Martial

I was 50/50 on Lingard vs Rashford but I think we will need a bit of protection on that side and the more experienced Lingard I think gives us that plus it means we have Rashford as a weapon off the bench later in the game.

Lukaku isn’t in the squad. Fellaini and Valencia return

Valencia agghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm with @jsp, we need energy and to be in their faces a bit, Fred, Herrera, Pogba in a 3 for me.

Mata is useless on the right really, he needs to be played centrally so maybe Lingard should be on the right with the unlucky Rash on the bench, but he's be a great threat late on.

With saying all that, it doesn't really matter if we don't show up for the first 45 mins who is on the pitch!

De Gea

Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw

Herrera Matic Pogba

Lingard Alexis Martial

The first 5 minutes and we’ve started like a team that knew what time kick off is

The first 5 minutes and we’ve started like a team that knew what time kick off is

New 8pm kick off time probably caught them out.

Decent start and can’t really argue to much with the line up he’s picked.

Too early for Matic to be picking up a cheap yellow

Team looks so much better with Sanchez up top.

The score might still end up against us but at least we are competing with a decent side.

The defending there :eek:

How can you leave Khedira free like that looked like Herrera ran away from him.

Even if we do lose tonight this has to be seen as a positive performance. Lukaku has to earn his place in the side.

Herrera is so important in games like this. He does the niggling stuff we all hate but matters at this level.

We were good for 30 mins they’re stamping their authority here though. Need to get out

Why does nobody want to drive forward with the ball from midfield or wings. We just put a foot on the ball, hold play up and pass it off. I want to see Young and Shaw sprinting into a crossing position not walking

Well it was just a matter of time before he popped up wasn't it.

Miss you CR7.

Won’t see many finishes like that in world football. What a goal

What a goal.

That’s a ridiculous finish from Ronaldo.

Been a poor second half by us.

And now Fellaini looks like he is coming on. No coming back from this now

Opposite from usual. We started well and have gone poor

Sandro finally does something for us after years of trying to sign him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back