Champ League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Villareal ~ Wed 29th Sep 8pm KO

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Utd can’t afford a third home defeat on the spin having dropped points vs young boys utd need a win to get back on track.

Injury wise we await news on Shaw and Maguire but you’d be amazed if they were back having been forced off on Saturday.

We know the opponent from last season they were well organised and Utd really struggled to create chances against them and I expect the same again.

DDG

AWB Lindelof Varane Dalot

Fred Pogba

Greenwood Bruno Sancho

Ronaldo

Do wonder if he might stick Henderson in but not sure he can take that risk when he’s already changing two of the back 4

No chance he sticks Henderson in, although it probably won't matter. I watched the last 30 min of their match v Real Madrid yesterday and it was a dull 0-0 played at walking pace. A quick check of the league table showed me played 6, won 1, drew 5, 4 of which were by the score of...wait for it...0-0.

If you need a nap, might I suggest Wed at 8:00pm.

Our penalty kicking super heroes. More than a banana skin, Villarreal are our Bête Noire.

As noted else/everywhere, the knives are out for Ole, and a win is the only thing acceptable here. Ole should be on the touchline with a horsewhip in his hand to make this team wake up and play.

Utd can’t afford a third home defeat on the spin having dropped points vs young boys utd need a win to get back on track.

Injury wise we await news on Shaw and Maguire but you’d be amazed if they were back having been forced off on Saturday.

We know the opponent from last season they were well organised and Utd really struggled to create chances against them and I expect the same again.

DDG

AWB Lindelof Varane Dalot

Fred Pogba

Greenwood Bruno Sancho

Ronaldo

Do wonder if he might stick Henderson in but not sure he can take that risk when he’s already changing two of the back 4I
Is AWB not suspended?

Need a response after two disappointing results in the last week and also the poor defeat to Young Boys.

Going to be a tough test of the defence without Maguire and Shaw. Have faith though!

Would like to see DVB be given a run in the midfield and Sancho as well.

That augers well.

Yep I look forward to pages about how we shouldn't have sent Laird or Williams out on loan like they'd be any better in the circumstances.

Might throw us a curve ball and stick Lindelof at right back with Bailly in the centre as Telles looked miles off the pace against West Ham.

Could go even bolder and try to play a back 3 but not sure what that achieves as it just means one less attacking player in the forward line.

Going to be a tricky game they're really hard to break down but this is where you need Ronaldo to be the difference and turn a 0-0 into a 1-0.

Williams should have been sold, not sent on loan, he doesn't look like he'll ever be good enough.

H2H v Villarreal:

0-0 (Champions League 05)
0-0
0-0 (Champions League 08)
0-0
1-1 (Europa League Final 21)

Gladly take a scrappy undeserved 1-0 as things stand as I expect Atalanta to beat us once, probably at Old Trafford, which would make qualification from the group tricky if we don't beat the Yellow Submarine by hook or by crook.

Right gonna put my prediction head on for the remaining fixtures -

Villareal (H) 1-0
Atalanta (H) 1-2
Atalanta (A) 0-1
Villarreal (A) 0-0
Young Boys (H) 5-0

10 points hopefully enough.

Villareal (H) 1-0
Atalanta (H) 1-2
Atalanta (A) 0-1
Villarreal (A) 0-0
Young Boys (H) 5-0

Bit dodgy, not so sure of scoring 5 at home again for a while?

H2H v Villarreal:

0-0 (Champions League 05)
0-0
0-0 (Champions League 08)
0-0
1-1 (Europa League Final 21)

Gladly take a scrappy undeserved 1-0 as things stand as I expect Atalanta to beat us once, probably at Old Trafford, which would make qualification from the group tricky if we don't beat the Yellow Submarine by hook or by crook.
Why are Atalanta beating us at home?

Bit dodgy, not so sure of scoring 5 at home again for a while?

Was gonna leave it till after the Villarreal match in the hope we scored five later today before replying so I could have posted you were saying!

But that's highly unlikely.

I just wasn't impressed by Young Boys, and if we need a convincing win in the last game to qualify and the crowd are up for it, and they will be, if we score an early goal I can see us going to town on them and scoring a hatful.

Why are Atalanta beating us at home?

Obviously hope they don't, but seen a lot of them over the last few years and they are a joy to watch away from home with their rapid counter-attacks, and if we go on the front-foot against them, and the crowd will expect it, they'll cause us a lot of problems.

Villareal (H) 1-0
Atalanta (H) 1-2
Atalanta (A) 0-1
Villarreal (A) 0-0
Young Boys (H) 5-0

That's 8 points isn't it?

ah ok.

I think we need to win all our home games, for morale and to stop the negativity.

Villareal will be the tricky ties for me. And I also think more teams than us will drop points at Young Boys.

Ole seems set on his 4-2-3-1 formation, and playing Pogba left of a three to the detriment of the team(more so when we're not in possession), so maybe it's time for a change to get us back on track, drop Paul and stiffen the midfield perhaps, even revert to a 4-4-2 for a few games.

De Gea
Dalot Varane Lindelof Telles
Sancho McTom Fred Greenwood
Cavani Ronaldo​

ah ok.

I think we need to win all our home games, for morale and to stop the negativity.

Villareal will be the tricky ties for me. And I also think more teams than us will drop points at Young Boys.

We should rebrand as Manchester Negativity United because you know even if we won 5-0 tonight some fans(and I use the term loosely)would still find something to moan about.

Villareal (H) 1-0
Atalanta (H) 1-2
Atalanta (A) 0-1
Villarreal (A) 0-0
Young Boys (H) 5-0

Villareal (H) 3-0
Atalanta (H) 2-1
Atalanta (A) 1-1
Villarreal (A) 0-0
Young Boys (H) 5-0

We're comfortable! Just like to make things a little difficult!

I actually will be missing tonights game. Final few weeks of a poker league I play in and i'm on the verge of winning it and the venue I play in has removed their Sky subscription whilst they negotiate. I'll have it on, on my phone but not the same!

I fancy us to bounce back tonight. Maguire missing isn't as much as a worry with Varane here now and especially in Europe. Strongest available 11. They aren't a team that are going to look to fight us strongly in midfield so i'd get Pogba in the two. He'll have more time in there in Europe and let him pull all the strings.

DDG

Dalot Lindelof Varane Telles

McT Pogba

Sancho Bruno Greenwood

Ronaldo

Key thing will be don't gift them a goal that one in the final had me fuming as it was our standard switch off at a set piece and going behind against this lot is brutal.

Keep it tight and get the first goal has to be the game plan and lets pray for not stupid mistakes.

With the defensive re-shuffle I can't see him putting Pogba into the midfield it might actually be worth starting him on the bench and having the two wide players in Greenwood/Sancho to try and open things up one vs one against their opposite number.

Got a very bad feeling about this bu would like to see Greenwood, Ronaldo and Cavani all starting to really give Villareal something to think about

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous too, but Ole normally bounces back.

Could go either way.

Hopefully home advantage will see us through, 2 - 1

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back