Champ League 2021/22: Man Utd vs Villareal ~ Wed 29th Sep 8pm KO

Subs have killed us again they’ve made 5 freshened up the team and are finishing strong we look absolutely knackered.

He’s got 5 subs and a stacked bench use it to worried to make changes.

To little to late now I fear.

2-1

VIVA RONALDO

He’s been awful but there to provide the moment that matters.

Lingard fantastic when he came on too.

Football, bloody hell!

What an assist from Lingard, the little foot on the ball for Ronaldo was brilliant. And well Ronaldo, whadddaplaaayer!

The performance should not be forgotten we were dreadful for most of that game.

Felt our subs were left a little to late but we got their in the end.

The performances have got to improve.

Felt our subs were left a little to late but we got their in the end.

The performances have got to improve.
Yep most definitely the performances have to get so much better. The subs definitely changed the game though, Lingard and Cavani gave us that little extra verve and spark up top.

Maybe forgotten a little but what a gem of a goal from Telles as well.

Performance does need to improve but no one can tell me that this team had given up on the manager.

As they have been for most of this year so far to be fair. That's the issue. But they keep pulling out results for the manager.

No one suggested they had. Still doesn't disguise the fact the manager struggles to get his team to play well.

Oh no one here did. There was a massive social media storm that Bruno deliberately missed the penalty because the team had given up on Ole.

Also Madrid failed to beat this team the weekend. They are a very much defensive side that make themselves hard to play against.

What a weird game.
We looked pedestrian the entire match, rudderless, clueless, shapeless, idealess.

Then Telles, who would look out of place in a Sunday 5 a side, scores a fecking belter.

Ole makes a late, time-wasting 89th minute sub, bringing on Fred, and Fred crosses and Ronaldo scores the winner.

We stole that victory. The team should still be ashamed of that performance despite the win.

Aso Madrid failed to beat this team the weekend. They are a very much defensive side that make themselves hard to play against.
The same Madrid who just lost to a first time Champions League team?

Anyway, it doesn't matter how difficult Villarreal are to beat, it's about how competently we play. We were barely competent.

Positives:
- We looked threatening from set pieces for the first time in a bloody while.
- Sancho’s best match in a red shirt.
- Late winner should dispel any negativity from the weekend.
- Bruno was fantastic.
- Lindelof played really well, as did DdG.

Negatives:
- The fullbacks were abhorrent, especially Dalot. Got caught out/up field/bypassed/dribbled by way too frequently. Telles made up for some of it with the goal but Shaw and AWB can’t get back fast enough.
- The subs were too slow. Should’ve had a plan for going behind and executed it the instant they scored.
- Ronaldo poor except for the goal.
- Pogba. WTF to do with him?
-
We need to stop going behind/conceding goals at home, and need to start punishing sides that come to OT and attack us. They were more lethal on the break than we were.
- Got bailed out by two individual goals, although the assists for each were sublime. Need to do better.

Hold my hands up:
- I’d have taken Ronaldo off instead of Sancho.
- Lingard might, MIGHT, be doing a Shaw. Two impact sub performances. Didn’t see that coming.

The same Madrid who just lost to a first time Champions League team?

Anyway, it doesn't matter how difficult Villarreal are to beat, it's about how competently we play. We were barely competent.

I'm glad we can agree that it's the performances not the results that matter.

I'm glad we can agree that it's the performances not the results that matter.
The quality of performance has always been my issue. That's why league position or cup finals mean nothing whilst we play so unconvincingly, disjointedly and unimaginatively.

Buzzing with the win, the stadium was bouncing but another fairly poor performance.

Oh no one here did. There was a massive social media storm that Bruno deliberately missed the penalty because the team had given up on Ole.

Also Madrid failed to beat this team the weekend. They are a very much defensive side that make themselves hard to play against.
Didn't look very defensive to me in the first 30 mins. If it weren't for de Gea, they could have been home and hosed.
Will somebody please tell me why OGS waits so bloody long to make substitutions?

Well, I suppose all u lot who live on the wrong hemisphere of the planet, r all tucked up in bed by now, heads on pillows grinning like the proverbial Cheshires. Quite rightly so.
Myself, living in the land of sunshine, kangaroos and shitty beer, have had the opportunity to watch the game all over again (Not entirely true, I skipped the first 30mins)
The scenes after the final whistle were phenomenal, absolute frenzy from all the players, crowd and staff inside OT. Christ I even think I heard my dog chanting 'Ronaldo' at the end.
But I'm not too sure if any of u caught a glimpse of Pogba's face as he was walking towards the tunnel?
Every picture tells a story......!

Uninteresting fact maybe, but that was the first time in 27 games that Villarreal had lost in European competition to a non-Spanish side.

Did we deserve to win, probably not, do I care, do I hell.

At the end of the season after we've won the Champions League nobody will remember 29/09

And there's no truth whatsoever in the rumour that when Lingard and Fred were warming up I was screaming at the TV to get Ronaldo off as twice in a few seconds he made no effort to get on the end of two slightly overhit passes and looked out on his feet.

Edit: Oh yeah, thank your God for the deadwood Lingard and Fred.

Well, I suppose all u lot who live on the wrong hemisphere of the planet, r all tucked up in bed by now, heads on pillows grinning like the proverbial Cheshires. Quite rightly so.
Myself, living in the land of sunshine, kangaroos and shitty beer, have had the opportunity to watch the game all over again (Not entirely true, I skipped the first 30mins)
The scenes after the final whistle were phenomenal, absolute frenzy from all the players, crowd and staff inside OT. Christ I even think I heard my dog chanting 'Ronaldo' at the end.
But I'm not too sure if any of u caught a glimpse of Pogba's face as he was walking towards the tunnel?
Every picture tells a story......!

Yep saw that, everybody else was going Ape, and rightly so, and Paul looked as though somebody had just told him his willy was gonna drop off in 5 minutes and there was nothing anybody could do about it. Seriously strange.

One thing we can all agree on is this result could be the spark we need to jumpstart our season. Beat Everton and we can go into the international break feeling happier.

Don't think I've ever doubted the players are behind the manager anyone who suggests they've given up on him are just idiots you watch this team and it works hard and they're all in it together but you can see the frustration at times when things aren't coming off.

Last night we were forced to make 3 changes to our back 4 so it's not surprising we were a bit all over the place especially first half luckily Dave was on his game to bail us out a few times.

Think the game changed when Albiol went off for them he'd been an absolute rock at the back and I think they lost a bit of their discipline when he went off gaps started appearing.

To be fair to Ole his subs all paid off I think Matic gave us a midfield and made us more steady with the ball it was far to frantic, Cavani gave us that energy up top putting their defenders under pressure and bullying them, Lingard gave us a different angle of attack he forced a great save before helping setup the winner, Fred was fresh legs but it was his cross that sets up the goal.

We created 3 good chances after we equalised Sancho lost his footing when one vs one, Cavani header back post and Lingard forced a great save at the near post from a cross then the main man stepped up with the clincher.

All I'd say is could those initial subs have come maybe 10 minutes earlier I think had they come a bit sooner we'd have had that won a lot earlier than the 95th minute. I know he got the winner but I do think Ole has got to be prepared to sub Ronaldo even when we are winning games as he's got so much quality on that bench now especially when Rashford is back.

That said the stadium was bouncing last night even just watching it on TV so the fans will have buzzed all the way home.

3 of the back 4 missing did not help.

A guy on the radio was saying that we basically didn't learn anything from the EF. And we should have played Sancho wide right. Can't be arsed to go into the details but it made good sense.

Most of our problems come from that two holding midfield formation we use. We don't have the players to play that system is how I see it. And Ole needs to find a solution.

The midfield was a problem they would draw us into pressing their defenders on the ball then play passes quickly through that took half the team out the game and they were always looking to get that winger one vs one against Dalot. It felt like every time Utd were falling into their trap and we didn't do anything to react to it. I think we got a bit smarter at it second half and didn't fall into the trap as easily so they stopped getting through so easily.

Going forward it was a lot of diagonals out to a wide player who was on the touchline but he was often two vs one and not really supported by his team mates and moves broke down. They were also always looking to come back inside onto the stronger foot rather than go outside where there was maybe more space.

I know it sounds like a broken record but it was hard to see what the plan was for scoring a goal and at times we'd have 5 guys stood in a straight line up against their defence. It's going to be hard to score from that as there's no space to run in behind and no one was dropping off the forward line to get on the ball.

That's why I think he sent on Matic to slow us down Ole said at the weekend he felt one problem in this team is they try to play to fast it needs the calm head to slow them down and you could see Matic signalling this to his team mates when he came on. When we did slow it down the chances started to come.

Just realised that lad who had our pants down all night was playing for Bournemouth last season I don't really follow the Championship but he must have been ripping it up in that league.

Not saying we should buy him but there must be loads of clubs in England thinking we've missed a trick here there got him for 25m.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back