Status
Not open for further replies.

JSNFRMN

Bournemouth 2-1 Manchester United - 12th December 2015

Done very well in midweek v Wolfsburg and today. So calm, remember watching him for U18s for first time a few years back and my first thought was Rio Ferdinand because of his calmness. Feel sorry for the young lads though, being massively let down by their senior team mates.

I have to disagree, I thought he was exposed today at this level. He gave away the ball a number of times and didn't look comfortable to me.

Some of the young players that van Gaal has decided to place faith in for us has surprised me since he's arrived - the likes of Blackett, McNair and now Borthwick-Jackson getting game time when for me I don't think any of them have a future at the club. That might seem harsh for me to say but I'd be very surprised if I'm proved wrong.

Van Gaal has forced the situation on himself of having to pick youth players by having such a small first team squad, but for me I'd have had Young left back ahead of Borthwick-Jackson. Alternatively I'd prefer to see players picked who have a chance of making it here. Age is probably against Tunzebe but for me he's already at a similar level to CBJ and he certainly has a good chance of making it here so I'd sooner pick him.

It's all well and good as a coach saying you are giving young players a chance, but I feel it's detrimental to everyone involved if they are young guys who aren't going to have a future at the club. Now it may be up for debate if McNair or Borthwick-Jackson have futures here, but as I say I would be very surprised if they do. CBJ looked decent underage, comfortable enough on the ball... But you need to show a lot more than he has. Watching Tuanzebe and Williams this season, they are on another level completely to what Borthwick-Jackson was underage and they for me have a cery good chance here. Just a shame they aren't older.

I sort of agree. It is commendable that young players are given a chance at our club and wouldn't want to change that. However first and foremost they have to be good enough. Mcnair frightens the life out of me. Cbj is young enough to come again but certainly isn't ready yet, and I am not convinced he ever will be. It's unfortunate that our best prospectus are very young, tuanzebe, Williams, rashford, gribbin Nd four mensah. Tho given our lack of pace and power in the squad I would probably be using rashford off the bench.

I didn't think he looked great, he got rinsed a few times and was sloppy on the ball. He's certainly not ready for the intensity of the premier league.

we do those youngster no favour in playing them too early on senior level. That boy is only 18 and unless you are an exceptional talent you are better playing reserves or lower league football. Still think he gave his best, he' has absolutely no blame to take for his performance.

Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United - 17th January 2016

Again thought he applied himself very well and the forced change i think changed the game in our favour as Darmian was getting rinsed on the left. Darmian clearly more comfortable on the right. Feared that Van Gaal would swap Young for Varela and keep Darmian at LB, as he often prefers to do this than make 2 changes.

Thought Borthwick-Jackson did very well today. Worked hard, kept himself solid and disciplined and didn't get beat very often. He also got forward and supported the attack so overall a competent performance in a big game for the young lad.

Tbf he wouldn't have to make two changes if he didn't have so many playing out of position

In fairness to him I thought he did very well today, Liverpool had a lot of joy down the right prior to him coming on but that seemed to end once he came on. Had a nice run into the Liverpool box in the second half that could have led to something.

Who'd have thought playing a left back at left back and a right back at right back would make our defence a little more stable. We were all over the shop like we were in Newcastle in first half, much better in 2nd half.

Who'd have thought playing a left back at left back and a right back at right back would make our defence a little more stable. We were all over the shop like we were in Newcastle in first half, much better in 2nd half.

So so true... Who'd have thought round pegs in round holes would work so well! Darmian really should not be played at left back again if it can be helped. He gets beaten far too easily and doesn't look at all comfortable whereas at right back he suddenly switches back on. Maybe the answer is playing Borthwick-Jackson until Shaw is back?

Van Gaal:

“He’s more or less a very good player for his age. He has shown already that he can cope with the pressure but, with youth players, the question is always: are they consistent? One match or a substitution is always good, but consistency is always the question mark."

I feel really quite sorry for Borthwick-Jackson here... I think for a young lad he's done really quite well. Overall he's not let the side down and he's looked pretty solid. Against Liverpool he came on and did a really good job.

And I can't help but feel LVG could have been a bit more complimentary... Sure he's not wrong about youngsters and consistency but he could have been a bit more forward with praise?

I think what Van Gaal has said is fine. There's little to gain by increasing expectancy and adding pressure on the lad at this stage.

I just think he could have been a little bit more complimentary of him so far. That's not to say he should raise expectations but just to say that he's done really well so far given that a few months ago basically nobody had heard of him.

Though I'll admit... I find it hard to support anything LVG says as I can't stand him.

Though I'll admit... I find it hard to support anything LVG says as I can't stand him.

I think that's pretty clear:D:D

More seriously though I think that the manager has done well to blood the youngsters. This is one aspect that was lacking with fergie in his later years. Bothwick-Jackson has done well when he has been on the field.

I think that's pretty clear:D:D

More seriously though I think that the manager has done well to blood the youngsters. This is one aspect that was lacking with fergie in his later years. Bothwick-Jackson has done well when he has been on the field.

"Hi I'm Rich and I'm an LVG hater" first step is always admitting it! :D

I think he's done OK at blooding youngsters but I'm not too sure how many he's really brought on? To me McNair doesn't look good enough and hasn't really developed despite having had game time. Lingard yes has definitely come on leaps and bounds. Borthwick-Jackson looks like he now might get a run. But I can't think of too many others he's brought through? Wilson wasn't given chances and has gone out. Blackett the same. Januzaj was sent out on loan. Who else am I missing?

Derby County 1-3 Manchester United - 29th January 2016

Solid in defence, composed and playing with maturity. Possesses a touch of quality as well.

As mentioned in the first post of this thread, when I first saw him at Under 18s level, he was 16 I think then and playing at CB, his calmness on the ball (and in other situations too to be honest) is what impressed me most, just doesn't seem fazed by anything.

Manchester United 3-0 Stoke - 2nd February 2016

Was excellent tonight. He's certainly very composed for his years.

Thought Walters would give him a real test tonight, doesn't stop running and is a real nuisance, don't think he was troubled at all. Think Martial being an absolute menace in attack helped mind as Walters had to help Johnson out a lot!

Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United - 7th February 2016

His crossing was very good.

Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United - 7th February 2016

His crossing was very good.

I was going to say the one thing I really do like about this lad is his crossing. He puts our other full backs and even wingers to shame really!

He seems to me a very solid player who does everything well without being superb at any one thing. And for a full back that's a great asset. He gets forward and crosses well. He defends well and rarely gets beaten even though he's not the quickest. And the thing I really like that no other full back seems to do these days... He closes down the cross!!!

He looks like a mentally very strong lad. Completetly unfazed, hope that doesn't change the 2nd season. Thought about Shaw coming back and playing as winger maybe. Couldn't be worse than Memphis these days.

Shrewsbury Town 0-3 Manchester United - 22nd February 2016

Was replaced at half time due to an injury.

Oh god please no... This is just getting silly now!!! We really need him to stay fit and get games under his belt this season. Hopefully we took him off more as a precaution.

Fantastic news! Now for LVG to play him in our next match this weekend. He needs to be given chances to prove himself and with Shaw still out it's the right time for him. He knows next season if Shaw fully recovers that he will be back up but he's obviously happy with that for now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back