Bruno Fernandes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me the next big thing is always in that league, they get bought and never seen again.

I wouldn't buy him over Grealish, or Madisson who has time on his side by a couple of years. You pay 70m for Fernandes suddenly their prices go up.

You run that risk with any foreign player coming from overseas, anyone may not work out or fail to settle. You can’t be scared of bringing in guys from the Portuguese leagues because of past failures, that’s just ludicrous. If a player is identified as being talent and a good fit it shouldn’t matter where they are from.

I don’t particularly rate Maddison, he gets these rave reviews but his actual output isn’t great even in the free flowing Leicester side this year. I know it’s not all about stats but whenever I have seen him he’s looked okay but certainly not a £90-100m player which is what Leicester would want. Grealish on the other hand I would be going all out for, and if Villa get relegated hopefully that would knock a few ££££ off the price.

has he been identified as a talent though? that's my point. It just reeks of desperation, how many seasons has his name been touted - a few , how many clubs are interested?

yes, I'd be going for Grealish, but I'd make him pull his socks up :) annoys me that.

has he been identified as a talent though? that's my point. It just reeks of desperation, how many seasons has his name been touted - a few , how many clubs are interested?

yes, I'd be going for Grealish, but I'd make him pull his socks up :) annoys me that.
That’s a fair point about how many clubs are actually interested and it seems like just us and Spurs. The Barcelona links today look a little airy fairy. He has admittedly been a late bloomer but I think he does have the talent to make the step up and you would hope our scouting department have thoroughly done their job. It does seem a little desperate now and I don’t think it will actually happen.

Agree about Grealish!

Portugal is a great development place for talent not just Portuguese players but also players who've moved their as young players taking that first step into European football like Falcao for example.

Bruno is a little bit different because he really made his name in Italy before moving back to Portugal but the last 18 months is really where people have taken notice of him because of his crazy goal scoring exploits with Sporting. It's that which has put him on everyone's radar but not everyone is looking for that sort of player at the moment and the price will put a lot of people off as it is a big gamble.

The issue with this guy really is his club are an absolute basket case they lost a load of players due to fans storming the training ground which meant players walked out on contracts over safety concerns so they barely got any money for their best guys Bruno was one of the few who stayed so now they're trying to sell him for above market price. Had they got that money in recently they'd probably be prepared to be a bit more reasonable with this guy but they know once he leaves they've got naff all else to sell as the cupboard is bare and the fans are really pissed off at the moment over the mismanagement of the club.

I mean buying foreign or buying domestic is always a tricky one because you massively over pay for a domestic deal but bringing anyone to Utd is a gamble as the pressure is huge all of a sudden every tiny thing you do is scrutinised by millions of people. You really can't describe the jump just in terms of the attention placed on players you won't really know if they can handle that focus until they arrive. I mean take Maddison he's a bit of a flash git likes posing with his sports cars which is fine at Leicester but do that at Utd and you'll be hounded unless you're putting in 9/10 performances in every game.

Thirdly I don't think we should over pay for him just because we are desperate
It's football. We are desperate. We will overpay for every player. If we want to get better we best accept that.

deals like that are the reason we are in the trouble we are, with a pathetic squad that you moan about after evey game. Just buying players average players for big fee's and wages.

I'd rather wait and get the right players.

I haven't seen lots of him to be fair but the bits I have seen make me think we should get him. I don't particularly think 55 million is unreasonable.

I think we've made too many mistakes, I can see why they are wary about this deal, especially when a fee was agreed and then Sporting put it up.

I think all the "club don't know what their doing not getting this deal done" in the press might be a bit unfair on this particular deal.

I imagine we'll pay stupid money on Friday though

Fundamentally we are where we are because for years we've signed average players be it for the right or the wrong price even guys who might be considered reasonable fees like Rojo, Blind, Darmian all under £20m Depay, Bailly, Mkhitaryan & Lindelöf all around £30m just haven't really paid dividends.

We had this in reverse all summer with Lukaku everyone just saying take the lower offer and sell we stood firm and got our price the shoe is just on the other foot with this one they've got a price we're trying to negotiate it down but we will probably end up paying near the asking price.

My only real issue is just the wasted time we've had loads of games in January which he could have played in and helped the team.

Personally I think the only deal they hoped to do in January was Haaland when they didn't get him they didn't really have an alternative in the pipeline so they've tried to do this one instead but my guess is they wanted to wait until the summer to sign a number 10 be that Fernandes or someone else.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

BBC breaking news it’s on the verge of being done. £47m

It’s on like donkey kong! Looks this might be finally being done, although the chickens can’t be counted yet.

Well who ever made the noise about Barcelona showing an interest looks to have prompted us to increase our offer, good bit of PR work if you ask me

We haven’t increased the initial offer. Just the add ons still at £47m

Yeah being reported as €55m guaranteed with potential for €25m in bonuses plus a 10% sell on clause

I wish we had waited for Grealish. But never mind, hope he does well.

I wish we had waited for Grealish. But never mind, hope he does well.
To be honest I think we can fit Grealish in as well. Maddison and Fernandes are very similar players in their roles but Grealish is a lot more fluid on where he can play, from the left, the right or central.

If villa get relegated I think we will be one of the clubs that go for Grealish we are building a squad you need to have quality options up top.

To be honest I think we can fit Grealish in as well. Maddison and Fernandes are very similar players in their roles but Grealish is a lot more fluid on where he can play, from the left, the right or central.
Yeah I'd still bring in Grealish because we need plenty of quality and depth.

not sure we are at the level where our midfieled subs are 70m+

If we buy Grealish and Fernandes, they both need to play.

Not saying thats not feasible. But we can't buy either of these and put them on the bench as depth, when we need other positions filling. If Pogba does fo then yes we could have both.

We also need another player with a bit of something about him in the middle.

These days players just cost a lot of money so you're going to have guys on the bench who cost lots of money City and Liverpool regularly have £50m plus players on the bench Keita & Mahrez for example don't always start.

Whoever Utd buy to build this squad up will likely cost around £50m unless we find players with low buyout clauses or contracts that are expiring or copy what Liverpool did and snap up players from relegated teams who need to sell it's just the cost of business these days it's why you can't really afford mistakes. Where Utd I think have made mistakes is more in the wages we've made it very hard to move players on when they don't work as the wages are so high other clubs seem to be able to move out their unwanted players much easier than we can. They sort of did that with James think his contract only had 12 months left so Swansea had to sell.

Utd claim it's a long term rebuild which means 2 or 3 summer windows to totally transform the playing squad my guess is there won't be many players who come in as first team players going forward that don't cost in excess of £40m.

Yes when we are at Liverpools and city's level we can have that.

But at this point, I don't see the point in 3 or 4 attacking midfielders so you have 70 - 90m player on the bench, when we also need def mid, striker, winger etc.

We need to focus our buying on the positions we need at the moment, the the first team sorted.

I wouldn't go near Grealish unless Pogba left now. Or we managed to off Periera and Lingard.

We can only buy a certain amout of players each window. We need to be smart about the positions and players we buy.

It's about building a squad we assume Bruno comes in now as the number 10 but if/when Pogba goes does Ole think he can drop Bruno back into his 2 in midfield as the creative player and then also fit in a number 10? That would leave the door open for a player like Maddison who is definitely a central player rather than a wide player.

We just don't know he seems pretty stuck to the 4-2-3-1 system we've played in most games this season my guess is he'll use Bruno as a number 10 and probably keep Periera as the backup in that position meaning Mata and Lingard can both move on in the summer.

In terms of attack my guess is he'll want a proper right winger as currently he's having to fit square pegs into round holes with whoever plays there and he probably would like another central striker to compete with Martial. You'd think he's targeting having 5 players to play across the front 3 positions with 2 people for the number 10 spot.

In midfield with Pogba likely to go in the summer he needs 2 more in there as well there's talk of a new contract for Matic so maybe next season you have Matic, Fred, McTominay plus 2 new signings.

In defence probably still looking for a centre back to partner Maguire and he's obviously got 1 or 2 he will want to move on I just don't see Lindelöf as a starter in the prem.

So yeah a move for Grealish is tough because like you say he's a starting player so where does he fit in the squad unless you think Rashford can go back in the middle ahead of Martial who would have to drop to the bench.

Anyway looking forward to seeing this lad play

Fellaini, Herrera gone and Pogba will leave so bringing in just Bruno isn’t going to work. We need a good DM now to go with Bruno. and a CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back