Bruno Fernandes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also don’t understand the 5th comments. We still have a better side than Arsenal (criminally bad at the back.) and Chelsea (Less squad depth than us and a poorer front line)

I think we have the 4th best side too.

We just need to bypass midfield ;-)

I also don’t understand the 5th comments. We still have a better side than Arsenal (criminally bad at the back.) and Chelsea (Less squad depth than us and a poorer front line)

I don't actually agree. Our defense is much improved but could well need time to develop as a unit. Our attack is at this point weak and our midfield outside of one player doesn't exist.

I dunno about Arsenal's back line now they've reinforced.

Bellerin Sokratis Luiz Tierney

AWB Maguire Lindelöf Shaw

On paper I'm not seeing much between them when everyone is fit.

Midfield both sides are dreadful.

Attack I'd have to say Arsenal are killing us in this department.

As for Chelsea no one really knows what they're going to be like similar to us putting a lot of faith in some young players making the step up but losing Hazard is huge he was such a game changer for them especially against the weaker sides without him can they take enough points from the bottom to middle sides.

As it stands for me on paper best squads...

City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Utd/Chelsea

Attack I'd have to say Arsenal are killing us in this department.
Attack they do kill us, defense I think we have an edge. But goals are going to be important and I just don't see enough there. Arsenal meanwhile have goals throughout their attack.

Bellerin is out til Christmas and even so player for player we are better than them defensively in every position.

Sokratis is poor and Luiz isn’t that much better. There’s a reason Chelsea let him go for £8m. Lindelof and Maguire are better than both.

And in midfield both sides aren’t awful. We have a very good starting 3. We have awful back up.

Fred Matic Pogba is better than

Ghandouzi Xhaka Torriera

Though it’s reported they’re going to a 4-2-3-1 with just Xhaka and Ceballos holding behind Ozil. They’re score goals they’ll also concede a bucket load.

On paper

City
Spurs
Liverpool
Utd
Arsenal
Chelsea

How the season finishes

City
Liverpool
United
Chelsea
Spurs
Arsenal

Spurs are going to hit a crises point where hey drop Erikson Toby and Jan. and I don’t see Emery lasting the season. Fans are too fickle and will be in his back by the end of September.

Bellerin is out til Christmas and even so player for player we are better than them defensively in every position.

Sokratis is poor and Luiz isn’t that much better. There’s a reason Chelsea let him go for £8m. Lindelof and Maguire are better than both.

Didn't realise he was out that long so right back will be a problem for them this season. I think on the centre backs until I see the guys we've got prove they're good enough for Utd and keep clean sheets together I won't be convinced, lindelof was still a part of the worst defence I've seen in my lifetime last season. I think both teams have got defences that are pretty car crash and both teams have midfields that leave them exposed.

Taking that into account we probably do edge them in defence but they've got us beaten hands down up top even with under performing guys like Ozil, Mhiki you've got Pepe, Lacazette and Aubameyang plus a promising youngster in Nelson. Put that against Lingard, Mata, Sanchez, James, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and on paper they're killing us.

Utd gambling massively on Rashford/Martial having that Ronaldo 2006/07 coming of age season and going from a 10-15 to a 20-25 player.

Basically I can see Utd and Arsenal letting in a similar number of goals but I can see them scoring a lot more which is why I think they're slightly ahead of us.

I also think in Emery they've got a much more proven manager we are still hoping that Ole can be the guy but there's very little in his record to prove that he is the guy.

I’d be shocked if we conceded anywhere near the amount they do this year.

They will score more than us though. And the thing is we have to take that risk on Martial and Rashford. Once we’ve given them 200k a week you’ve got to believe they can go out and make themselves the best strikers in the league. Martials/Rashford excuse as always been they’re scared they’re going to get dropped. Well Lukaku has gone now go and prove the talk you’ve been putting up.

I think Rashford will have a great season. I see Martial losing his spot to Greenwood/James by the end of the season and gone.

I think both teams are stronger in defence now than they were last season so it'll be interesting to see where things end up.

Yeah 100% Utd have backed these boys it is time for both to really deliver there are no more excuses that can be accepted from either they've got the big boy contracts now it's time to put in big boy performances every week. You can't hide anymore they're not kids anymore they've both had 3 or 4 seasons of regular first team football in the premier league it's time to deliver and back up the hype if they can't both need replacing next summer.

Obviously I don't think either will go on to be a Ronaldo but it's time for them to prove they're not a Welbeck.

Think the mods might be a bit unhappy with how this has drifted off topic.

And in midfield both sides aren’t awful. We have a very good starting 3. We have awful back up.

Fred Matic Pogba is better than

Ghandouzi Xhaka Torriera
No bud we have an awful midfield that hinges on a player who has shown he'll down tools.

Paul Hurst in The Times: It can be revealed that United pulled the plug on their pursuit of Bruno Fernandes, the Sporting Lisbon midfielder, because of his poor passing statistics. Fernandes, 24, had a pass completion rate of 75 per cent last season.

I have mixed feelings on this. Clearly as a team we need somebody able to pass the ball. I haven't seen enough of him to know the type of passes he makes. If he is playing 10 yard sideways passes itbis poor, if he makes lots of difficult through balls then that's a different matter. Plus, at least in Portugal, he scores lots of goals.

i doubt Utd are basing decisions fully on stats they contribute to decisions but my guess is he failed the eye test his goal stats draw a lot of attention especially his long rangers. In a league with better defences and keepers it’s likely he gets a lot less shooting chances.

Always felt like a potential Pogba replacement rather than a Herrera replacement.

To me it became clear that Utd’s name was the one being used by agents to link the player with clubs to keep him in the headlines and build his profile but it didn’t work no one was prepared to bite on the crazy asking price so far.

Paul Hurst in The Times: It can be revealed that United pulled the plug on their pursuit of Bruno Fernandes, the Sporting Lisbon midfielder, because of his poor passing statistics. Fernandes, 24, had a pass completion rate of 75 per cent last season.
Late to the party but... that'll be because he tries to make things happen.

Yeah I still think this was a no brainer. The only bigger no brainer is it it wasn't him it had to be someone. We are woeful in midfield and we were pretty bad before.

Yeah I still think this was a no brainer. The only bigger no brainer is it it wasn't him it had to be someone. We are woeful in midfield and we were pretty bad before.
Pretty woeful is being kind there. And what's worse is the lack of depth and alternatives.

CM was as important, no more no less, than CB. It wasn't an either / or situation. It had to be both.

Not for me, two midfielders and an attacker should have been signed before a centre back. United would have stumbled their way through the season with Smalling-Lindelof. The cupboard is completely bare in midfield and we will struggle to break down teams with McTominay and Lingard filling two of the central spots.

Not for me, two midfielders and an attacker should have been signed before a centre back. United would have stumbled their way through the season with Smalling-Lindelof. The cupboard is completely bare in midfield and we will struggle to break down teams with McTominay and Lingard filling two of the central spots.
Sorry but I just can't agree. A solid team starts with a solid defense. Smalling is not good enough and year after year this defense has struggled. The time was right to sort the defense. That said CM was just as important as was replacing Lukaku. Ole wanted to because he said we'd replace those we sold and we didn't replace Lukaku. That plus no midfielder is going to cost this team dearly.

For me, a solid defence is the final piece of the jigsaw. See Liverpool and City. What’s the point of having a solid defence if we don’t know how to attack.

I think when you’ve had your worst defensive season in 30 years a change in defence is inevitable so a RB and CB were necessary and I have no issue with that but not clearing the decks is a problem as we are so over stocked now unless guys move this week. He’s going to have a lot of unhappy campers in his squad unless a few get out.

Midfield is a disaster we were already struggling in this area our 2 recent signings haven’t really worked in Matic and Fred, Herrera left on a free not amazing but reliable and Pogba our star man who is desperate to leave. Gambling on the kids was reckless a new guy had to come in be it Bruno Fernandes or someone else but it seems like the one they want is Longstaff and they’re willing to wait on him. That said we probably needed 2 midfield players a holding player to protect the defence and a creative number 10 to help the attack but we got nothing.

As for the attack I thought James was someone who liked playing from the right turns out he’s another guy for the left, Lingard is just a nothing player I’m sorry but working hard is something everyone does he just doesn’t provide any cutting edge.

In the last 12 months Utd have given new contracts to Young, Jones, Smalling, Pereira and Mata all players I feel have proven they aren’t up to the job now you can’t lose them all in one go but for me Jones, Periera & Mata should all have moved on this summer.

1 summer was never going to solve everything but I do feel a lot more could have been done to move us forward.

End of last season it was clear to all a RB and CB were the priority. If we’d started this season with Young at RB and the Chuckle Brothers at CB we’d be having kittens.

End of last season it was clear to all a RB and CB were the priority. If we’d started this season with Young at RB and the Chuckle Brothers at CB we’d be having kittens.

I can see Bob’s point a RB was vital but even then we could have just played Dalot I think we could have limped along with the same old CBs had we sorted the midfield and attack out this team has problems at both ends.

Get the goals flowing at the top end first then worry about plugging the gaps at the back. A team that scores a lot of goals will still win a lot of games and for a manager it will buy you more time.

Currently we are neither free flowing in attack or solid in defence if we don’t see something soon pressure will grow on Ole.

The team looks fitter and quicker which was a problem last season but it still looks an average team but if we could score penalties we might actually be on 9 points so it’s fine margins.

The penalty situation is actually Ole’s biggest mistake so far. He stamps his authority and states Rashford is the man and I think we are on 9 points at the moment.

Monday’s debacle undoubtedly up’d the pressure on yesterday’s penalty.

I dunno think both misses have been a tad unlucky one was well saved the other was an inch to far to the post both could easily have gone in.

I think a lot of teams have more than one taker for me it’s up to a Rashford to say to Pogba you know what I’m the taker when I miss we can talk but until then I’m the man on pens. The fact he let Pogba take it vs Wolves for me suggested he’s not totally happy taking them which is strange given the pressure pens he’s taken and scored.

For me, a solid defence is the final piece of the jigsaw. See Liverpool and City. What’s the point of having a solid defence if we don’t know how to attack.
What? Liverpool didn't become contenders until they signed Virgil. City were built on Kompany.

Both those teams still had decent midfielders though some of them might have been workmanlike but still good on numbers and a certain amount of quality

What? Liverpool didn't become contenders until they signed Virgil. City were built on Kompany.

Think what he's saying is both these clubs built the attack first got that firing then sorted the defence out.

City in Pep's first season were scoring for fun but at the back were a mess then in one season they went and got Ederson, Walker, Mendy, LaPorte basically sorted out all the problems in one hit. Liverpool kind of did he same getting in Van Dijk then Allison & Fabinho basically plugged the leaky defence without losing that edge up top which turned them from a good team into a great team.

If you can't score goals you can't win games teams like City & Liverpool are setup to score 3 or 4 a game so even if the defence has an off day they'll probably still win.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It’s happening again! Try not to get drawn in...

Too late, this is on like Donkey Kong!

Do you think in the days before the internet really took off we used to be linked to loads of players in Portugal and we just never heard about it?

Haha this does seem like a regular occurrence, feels like the Gaitan situation!

I’m being lured into thinking this might be happening. Need to snap out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back