Bruno Fernandes | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did state him looking back at his best was because he had all the time in the world.

I doubt they would be celebrating they're not idiots they know the score Ole seems to be getting them into that mentallity of once the game is done you go home and either sulk or celebrate next day it's a fresh start.

This is another one of those games, like after the FA cup, it will show how much we have improved mentally, hopefully we learnt from that Liverpool game.

Yep tonight we showed a killer edge that has been lacking for years at Utd but it was done in a controlled organised way players didn't go nuts trying to score crazy goals we just kept picking away at the weakness.

I mean second half it felt like our entire back 4 was about 35 yards from their goal it was like a training session and as the opponent got more and more tired we just cashed in over and over again.

Everton will be a different story and so will West Ham in the cup next week.

I would imagine in one of those games Bruno will get a rest just to avoid burning him out but knowing him he'll be begging to play the Europa League games as well.

AC Milan 0-1 Man Utd

Poor tonight was so frustrating to watch certainly saw the bad side of Bruno tonight

I wont have a word said against him. Too much football, he does need to be rested from time to time, especially if his form is poor.
If his position was threatened he is the type that would run through brick walls to prove the manager wrong.

Yep I think he's had to push through the wall because of the injuries/form of others he needs a break but hard to see one coming for him.

He should not be starting in the FA Cup at the weekend but we both know he will.

Played 90 minutes last night but is suspended for the next game so now has a week off before our game vs Brighton.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Even when he's not at his best, which he hasn't been for a while, he is stil impacting matches. Had a huge part in all 3 of our goals today, and is a class above anyone else in our squad.

He’s frustrating but he makes a difference provides so much quality in the final third that you can accept some of the mad stuff he does.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another big game where he underperforms?
I was talking to my brother about Fernandes during the game yesterday.

Before I start the stats absolutely can not be argued. They speak for themselves. He's a world class player and there's no denying that.

But... I watch him play and sometimes he does things that make me think perhaps his twin has swapped places with him or something. I mean he'll do things that are so poor, so sloppy that I don't even think Fred does things like it.

Now look he's a top player, he's a really really important player and he's absolutely delivered for united. But he doesn't come across as a player in control and I don't mean with his emotions. You watch players like KDB, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, those top players and they look at ease with the ball. They look in control of situations. I never get that impression with Fernandes. He'll do something sublime but the very next minute his touch, control or pass is so far off I'm sure most of us could do better in that moment. And this is something I've seen in every game I've seen of his. It's strange for a player of such undoubted talent.

Hard game for him to get into Villarreal starved all the space around the box forced Utd into wide areas.

Nothing really broke to him on the night think he managed 1 shot at goal.

Wasn’t a good night for him.

I wonder how much Rashford's poor form has impacted Bruno. Opposition midfielders are going to concentrate on him, so he's going to need somebody to play off of. If Rashford can't do it, and isn't a threat which also needs attending to, and our right side is a black hole not even worth defending, then more attention can be paid to Bruno.

If we buy a RW, and Rashford is back to his best on the left, they can't cheat onto Bruno as much, and he'll also have an outlet to play with.

Curious as to why he chose to go second in the shoot out.

60% of shootouts are won by the team that goes first and he should be taking every advantage he can once he wins the toss.

60% of shootouts are won by the team that goes first and he should be taking every advantage he can once he wins the toss.
Was very curious about that myself? Think vast majority of captains who win that toss always choose to go 1st?

Yeah the ref even questioned him as thought he'd misheard him.

Very odd going first apparently gives you a 60% chance of winning the shoot out as you can put the pressure on the opponent from the first kick if you score.

You have to assume it was planned and done for a reason as it's so obvious to go first if you have the choice.

Was that Bruno's choice or did that come from the coaching staff? Surely Ole wouldn't have told Bruno to just pick what feels right.

Was that Bruno's choice or did that come from the coaching staff? Surely Ole wouldn't have told Bruno to just pick what feels right.

I don't know and we probably won't ever find out but you'd expect your coach to make that decision it's not on the captain to make that call you are the manager you tell him what to pick and all the evidence suggests you take first you stand a better chance of winning.

I'd hope that's how it went. Either way it was a stupid decision, regardless of who made it. The only explanation I can think of, and it's tenuous at best, was that they were trying to take the pressure off DdG by having him in goals first. There were a few players who went over to him to gee him up during the shootout, Bruno, Tuanzebe perhaps. Maybe they thought it would make him feel more comfortable and increase his odds of saving one. Baffling.

Yeah but then the takers are never under maximum pressure so they are more relaxed which probably makes it easier to hit the corners if you know it's score or game over I'd say there's more chance of a mistake.

Going second makes it very hard to put the pressure on the opponent as the pressure only comes if they miss a penalty.

In a shoot out if you take first and score the pressure is straight away on the other team.

I don't know and we probably won't ever find out but you'd expect your coach to make that decision it's not on the captain to make that call you are the manager you tell him what to pick and all the evidence suggests you take first you stand a better chance of winning.
Doubt that very much, captain's call!

Doubt that very much, captain's call!

I doubt it the manager should be telling the captain what to do in the same way the manager should ultimately decide who’s taking the pens and in what order.

I would imagine someone behind the scenes did the analysis and decided. And they need taking to a dark corner and get a kicking, minimum wedgie

I doubt it the manager should be telling the captain what to do in the same way the manager should ultimately decide who’s taking the pens and in what order.
How many years have u played professional football?
Not very many, if indeed any, I think

How many years have u played professional football?
Not very many, if indeed any, I think

Absolutely zero like 99.9% of people who ever kick a ball about or take an interest in the game. From a previous post you say you played a very long time ago when captains maybe had more of a say but in the modern game I think the manager is making that decision.

At my level it was normally our manager telling the captain if he wanted to attack uphill or downhill first half when it came to the coin toss. In a shoot out we’ve been asked who wants to take one but our manager always decided the order.

Never been captain in a shootout but if you win the toss you always shoot first I can only assume someone has told Bruno that if we win the toss we want to go second. The ref was so shocked he even asked him twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back