Brexit

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This whole thing has just been draining for the entire country not going to get into if it's a good or bad thing it's just been an example of how slowly government moves promises have been made that are impossible to keep no one can say with any certainty what the outcome is but information that doesn't fit your side of the argument is blatantly ignore.

Obviously if we agree a deal there's still years of work to be done to agree everything so it'll just keep dominating everything and things not related to Brexit that need sorting will be put on the back burner.

oooh, another deal to fail in parliament :-D

didn't the ERG say if the DUP don't support it they won't?

Sounds like it will fail as all parties have come out and critised the rejected the deal as a bad deal to brexity for some not brexity enough for others almost like a 52-48 split means you'll never make everyone happy.

Looks like we'll be going back for another extension unless parliament back no deal which they won't.

it's crazy really, all the politicians, or most, say no to a second referendum, yet this is it. What does a normal labour voter, who wants Brexit vote for, or vice versa. It's a Brexit referendum in disguise and the party who wins won't be voted in on their general policies.

They should, in my opinion, hold a referendum on Boris's deal, then call a general election.

Daft.

anyway, enough politics from me.

We now need to start playing hardball with the EU and make it clear that leaving without a deal is a real possibility. Get a deal done by October or get out without a deal. There has been enough deliberation over this and positive actions are need all across the UK political landscape from this point to ensure we can accurately plan for how we are to recover our economy.

yes, this seems to have died a death in the news recently.

I think they were starting to play hardball a few weeks ago weren't they.

The French have changed the rules on our rights to stay!

Marcon and Merkel hatching a plan on "mutualised debt" or in other words debt sharing among the EU countries :)
4 countries objecting and speculation that they may choose to follow the UK out. The EU could be on the verge of collapse.

So, it is looking more likely a no deal Brexit will take place with Boris accusing the EU of a lack of compromise.
Have to say, it has occurred to me that the UK may be angling for a no deal as not having to pay the divorce bill could be a major boost to our economy at this time?

I thought even with the no deal option we still pay a "divorce bill" to cover our liability on budgets agreed before we declared we want to leave.

Strange to think that this was the only thing we ever heard about on the news or on the radio before March.

the bill has to paid really, or all future deals/trades will be off.

With Covid and the ecconmies globally, you've got to say a no deal is bad for everyone.
What happened to the ready made deal Boris, ping it in microwave! more BS from Boris

I thought even with the no deal option we still pay a "divorce bill" to cover our liability on budgets agreed before we declared we want to leave.

Strange to think that this was the only thing we ever heard about on the news or on the radio before March.
There is a figure in the billions that would not be paid

the bill has to paid really, or all future deals/trades will be off.

With Covid and the ecconmies globally, you've got to say a no deal is bad for everyone.
What happened to the ready made deal Boris, ping it in microwave! more BS from Boris

Let’s not pretend the EU haven’t majorly screwed up here too. Their negotiating tactic the entire time has been to refuse to budge an inch.

The UK will cope just fine and there’ll be some form of settlement but it’ll be nowhere near the figure the EU think it’s going to be.

There is no way all future trades will be off. Countries like Germany have too much sway and will want favourable terms with us.

Let’s not pretend the EU haven’t majorly screwed up here too. Their negotiating tactic the entire time has been to refuse to budge an inch.

The UK will cope just fine and there’ll be some form of settlement but it’ll be nowhere near the figure the EU think it’s going to be.

There is no way all future trades will be off. Countries like Germany have too much sway and will want favourable terms with us.
Correct, I believe the EU wanted the whole Brexit thing to collapse on itself

They probably did making it easy for countries to walk away would not be something in the best interest of the EU but we obviously would of known that going in.

They seem to have remained pretty consistent in what they want out of the deal it seems to be our side changing it's mind all the time but they we've gone through multiple people in terms of the people looking after this since the whole process began.

No Deal feels inevitable at this point.

I don't read much of it to be honest, but I did read something that the UK gov had misunderstood something written in the microwave deal and want to change it, and the EU don't

They probably did making it easy for countries to walk away would not be something in the best interest of the EU but we obviously would of known that going in.

They seem to have remained pretty consistent in what they want out of the deal it seems to be our side changing it's mind all the time but they we've gone through multiple people in terms of the people looking after this since the whole process began.

No Deal feels inevitable at this point.
You are getting confused with the EU having no flexibility and the UK trying to find some!

Old Boris is turning up the heat now with threats to break international law which sounds ludicrous but there are far reaching implications where the relationship with NI may bring justification to it.

It's certainly an interesting twist to the Brexit scenario.
The proposal to override some elements of the withdrawal agreement which breaks international law has been slammed by Ireland and the US and the EU are threatening legal action. Yet the government is standing firm.
Its kind of difficult to judge what the game is here but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Can only be a bit of brinkmanship as part of negotiations but it's not a good look for the country given the reputation that we will need to carry around the world as we look to do deals it sends out a pretty terrible message that you're happy to sign off on a deal then attempt to go back on it a few months later.

They claim this bill is a fall back in the event of no deal it provides necessary clarifications but surely you put this in place if we don't agree a deal by the October deadline.

the country is turning into a dictatorship. They just do what they want.

Well they've got a massive majority so they can pretty much do what they want and we voted to give it to them.

Thing is now because of Covid we'll never really know what the long term impact of Brexit was on the UK was it a good thing or a bad thing we will never really know as you just won't be able to compare it as Covid has totally shook the world.

It's obviously a very difficult break up especially because of the border issue in Ireland which wasn't even a topic of discussion back in 2016 like no one thought about it 4 years ago.

The EU obviously want to make it hard for us to leave and get the best deal for the EU out of it we're on the other side of that.

Like everything now the people who win big from Brexit will be a much smaller group than those who lose out because of Brexit because that's the way the world works now.

The EU deadline has passed, they are starting legal proceedigs against the UK re: them breaking the current agreement. UK got a month to reply.

They will continue with negotiations re: Brexit.

Someone on R5 yesterday was saying the gov are changing their mind behind closed doors, some are petrified of a no deal with the impact Covid is having on the ecconomy.

Countries will be tripping over themselves to broker trade deals with the UK, dont you worry about that.

but not their biggest trading partner.

I guess we won't know until it happens. It's a worry for everyone, the last thing the UK and Europe needs is further ecconomcal strain. I can't believe a deal won't be reached.

The US will have such a strong a hand if there is no deal between the UK and EU. They could easily shaft us, well you now, but I still see myself as a Brit.

I do worry for the UK, there is a lot of we'll be ok attitude, but you just don't know. No one does. It's a huge risk.

as an aside, about the only thing that will affect me is the exchange rate, 1.07 at the moment crying emoji!

We were thinking of our girls going to Uni in Scotland, as an EU student their fee's are the same as a Scot I believe. I don't know if this wil be affected. Although this might have changed, my eldest wanted to Study Vetinary at Edinburgh but she's changed her mind about her career now.

why

I assume you support the UK leaving the UK. If the Scotts want to leave UK, isn't that the same thing? Is looks very much like Boris is losing the Scottish people. He needs to beware. I think a no deal and they will go.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back