Appearances11000
Clean Sheets11000
Goals00000
Assists00000
Yellow Cards11000
Red Cards00000

Europa League: AZ Alkmaar 0-0 Manchester United - 3rd October 2019

The lad did OK.

I didn't see the game but hopefully he gets some more chances in Europa League.

For me the left back spot is a spot that's up for grabs I think Shaw has shown he can't be relied on to stay fit and also perform at a high level consistently he's the same player now that he was when he arrive 5 years ago.

Nicky Butt has a new role at the club which is supposed to be planning routes for academy players into the first team and a big part of that will be finding the right clubs to loan our players to.

The top academy lads should not be playing more than 1 year of U23 football before being loaned out then hopefully integrated into the first team when they are good enough. The jump from U23 to first team is to big it's almost pointless judging players on what they do in U23 football. People mock that Chelsea loan army but it has proven it works.

You might get the odd one who doesn't need the loan stage for example Greenwood looks like he might be good enough at 18 to be a premier league player.

Still raw and can be very rash but does have the tools to be a very good left back. It’s all about how he develops in the next few years. A loan move would probably be good for him because don’t think he would dislodge Shaw right now. A Championship level loan move would be correct, he’s already proven he is very good at U23’s so why not get him out on loan and let him develop for a year.

Europa League: Partizan Belgrade 0-1 Manchester United - 24th October 2019

The lad played well.

Thought he was MOTM for sure. He was impressive both defensively and offensively and his run for the penalty was fearless, kind of what Shaw was like in his early days. He’s really developing at pace.

League Cup: Chelsea 1-2 Manchester United - 30th October 2019

Made the odd little error but you can see the talent is there. He’s tenacious, got some pace and will continue to develop. Can see him having a top career here.

The likes of McTominay, James and Williams are really showing how Ole wants to play it this season. Young and hungry players who embody the spirit of the club.

Would you play him ahead of Young in the league games now?

I’d probably keep him on the midweek rotation until the next international break but I think he’s putting serious pressure on Young now.

Not sure how I feel about a right footed left back though you need your full backs to stay wide unless you’ve got a touchline hugging winger.

Yeah as much as it pains me to say it I still think Young should be ahead of him in the league. I would keep him in for the cup games and the odd league game. However, he is breathing down Young’s neck.

Like you jsp I’m not sure how I feel about him being right footed on the left because I feel you need that natural width. Saying that though in reserve games he’s not afraid to push to the byline with his left.

I’d have Williams ahead of Young. I’d have almost anyone ahead of Young at the moment. In a 3-5-2 he’s better but the annoying cut back hit the first man or past the last post routing is done for me.

I think the ideal thing is for Shaw to be back ASAP and then Williams be an understudy. Young can be the understudy at right back and general fill in squad player.

Would you play him ahead of Young in the league games now?
Without doubt. Young is terrible and for me LB is the kind of position you can play a youngster especially alongside an experienced player in Maguire.

I think the ideal thing is for Shaw to be back ASAP and then Williams be an understudy. Young can be the understudy at right back and general fill in squad player.

I think we need to revise this and say Williams is first choice for league games, with Young (and Shaw if he ever leaves his sickbed) for domestic cups and Europa League. He has shown he is the best LB we have and I see no reason why others should play ahead of him.

Yes he did. This is one we need to see more of. Williams for young will not weaken the team but it could strengthen it significantly. Ultimately saving us money to spend in more urgent positions. I think young is suspended for the next game so hopefully he will do well and keep the position

Premier League: Manchester United 3-1 Brighton & Hove Albion - 10th November 2019

How did he play?

If Young starts the next game after this performance then I’m done. He was of course naive at times but he’s shown more in the last couple of games he’s played than Young has for many a month. Young has been a good servant but Williams is the man alongside Shaw now.

I'm saying if Young or Shaw above him it's a travesty :)

I think the club have done it the right way easing him in slowly with the games getting slightly harder each time.

See no reason why you wouldn't consider him the first choice now.

Shaw when he gets fit will have to earn his place back.

My only issue with Williams is width with him being naturally right footed does he make us narrow going forward

I mean he's a professional footballer I'd hope he can kick with his left but can he put in quality crosses with his left foot and be comfortable delivering the final ball with it?

You look at the quality guys like Robertson & Mendy deliver the modern full back in basically expected to cross the ball to the standard you used to expect from a winger.

Ok I will put it another way. I have seen him in tha academy and u23s and he has always been comfortable crossing with his left.

Premier League: Sheffield United 3-3 Manchester United - 24th November 2019

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep tough game for him they got physical with him but he stood up to it and Sheffield Utd really targeted that side of the defence.

Didn’t give up and got himself a great goal hopefully the first of many.

Yes to Bob, struggled a bit, but great finish on his weaker foot.

Maybe he's not played as a wing back before

He is right footed that’s one of the problems people have with him I believe. He’s another one that’s going to split fans. I really like him but others see him as clumsy and defensively weak.

ah ok, I thought it was a sweet finish on his weaker foot, MoTD up to their usual level of facts then

Even in the U23’s he can be defensively clumsy but he offers you something going forward that Young and Shaw (in recent times) ever have. I think the raw ingredients are there though and think he’s going to be a fine player. Felt some nervousness in his game yesterday and sometimes away games with a pumped up crowd can do funny things to your head. He calmed down though and didn’t do too bad, although that lunging challenge in the second half when he got booked happens from time to time - he’ll learn though.

He is right footed that’s one of the problems people have with him I believe. He’s another one that’s going to split fans. I really like him but others see him as clumsy and defensively weak.

I like him love his aggression but he's a kid learning the game so he'll make mistakes you just hope he learns from them reminds me a lot of Rafael this kid will get sent off at some point very soon but he never gives up and isn't afraid.

The right foot thing for me is a problem going forward your full backs now provide the width so it'll be very hard for him to play that role unless his left foot is also good and I'm told it is although I've not really seen it yet.

The Rafael comparison is pretty spot on, they have the same naivety but shows so much potential. He does have a decent left foot, similar to Irwin. I don’t think it’s a major problem but he will have to show he can do those overlaps and develop good balls like Robertson/Chilwell.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-2 Aston Villa - 1st December 2019

He struggled again. I think Shaw will start against Spurs.

Agreed I think he played his way into the team but recent performances have played him out of it.

I’m sure further chances will come but I think he will be left out vs Spurs and City with the more experienced guys coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back