Boris Johnson to announce an extra 16.5 billion pounds in defence spending

Shoot

Banned
an extra 4 billion a year over the next 4 years apparently and the biggest cash injection in the last 30 years.
Oh, ok then, I didn’t realise we were so rich o_O

I know we have to carry on normally the best we can but this seems to be an odd time to be doing this. Serco must be gutted they are missing out on this.

I imagine a fair bit will be in cyber security?

edit:

they just said on the news the majority was for space and cyber security

Oh and after this the press release about public sector pay freeze, who the FK voted for these C**TS. Corbyn is the greatest PM the UK never had.

Corbyn was never that or even close to it. Hopefully Starmer will guide Labour back and become credible opposition again for the next election.

Corbyn was never that or even close to it. Hopefully Starmer will guide Labour back and become credible opposition again for the next election.
Lol, yeah become more "credible" by becoming more right wing like Tony the Tory Blair

I'm a labour voter but Corbyn wasn't the solution to anything.

His sit on the fence attitude towards Brexit and failure to unite the party put labour back decades.

The only reason they'll have half a chance at the next election is bumbling Boris doesn't inspire anyone and this conservative government are truly awful.

Starmer is a details person and will tie Boris up at PMQ's unfortunately though those that vote blue couldn't care for his inept performance and will continue to back the party and not call them out. As often proved on here.

While I accept Starmer is more to the right than Corbyn the issue is a Corbyn type will never win because he will never draw the middle ground over to his side. So stick to the far left and accept a lifetime in opposition or back a candidate on the left of centre and actually have a chance of power.

Announcing increases in defence spending followed by public sector pay freezes is never going to be a good look for any government.

The increased defence budget is going to create up to 40,000 jobs. Its going to save a lot of big big companies from having to make a lot of redundancies. It's investing in an infrastructure. And what's the biggest hit? Our foreign aid budget. OK that's fine! Sorry but all countries need to look after themselves and we aren't in a position to give to others. And one of the countries we give to is China. Come again now? One of the richest countries.

The increased defence budget is going to create up to 40,000 jobs. Its going to save a lot of big big companies from having to make a lot of redundancies. It's investing in an infrastructure. And what's the biggest hit? Our foreign aid budget. OK that's fine! Sorry but all countries need to look after themselves and we aren't in a position to give to others. And one of the countries we give to is China. Come again now? One of the richest countries.
Lol, there once was a leader who took Germany's unemployment from millions down to zero by increasing the size of his army and having big public works programmes, I'll let you draw the comparisons.
So what about the public sector pay freeze announced as well? Defence is important but where exactly are the UK spending that money, warfare has changed, terrorism is endemic, is he planning on nuking Bradford lol?

So what about the public sector pay freeze announced as well? Defence is important but where exactly are the UK spending that money, warfare has changed, terrorism is endemic, is he planning on nuking Bradford lol?
Public sector includes those in defense... I think at this time should who have jobs should feel very lucky that they have a job.

Public sector includes those in defense... I think at this time should who have jobs should feel very lucky that they have a job.
Lucky to have them? Tory austerity left the NHS on its arse and wholly unprepared for the pandemic, the applauding them on a Thursday night was a fking smokescreen. During the pandemic a bill protecting the NHS from being sold as part of a trade deal was defeated massively in the Commons, so much for our "heroes" right? The health workers resorted to striking over pay and conditions at the start of the year, when their derisory pay offer went through parliament late last year those Tory c**ts actually cheered!! I'll let others be fooled by the government lies I prefer to deal in facts.

Are you seriously suggesting those in the public sector should just be happy they have jobs and suck up the fact they're on a pay freeze whilst MP's get yet another pay rise?

Those damn nurses being lucky they've got jobs during a pandemic.

Woah hang on. Let me clarify. The NHS should be separate to the public sector. They absolutely deserve to be given a pay rise for all their efforts not just during the pandemic but in general. So when I say public sector I refer to civil servants. And MPs should absolutely not be getting a pay rise.

Are you seriously suggesting those in the public sector should just be happy they have jobs and suck up the fact they're on a pay freeze whilst MP's get yet another pay rise?

Those damn nurses being lucky they've got jobs during a pandemic.
Exactly mate, I work in the public sector myself and we've had below inflation rate imposed pay rises, with no union negotiation every year since 2008!! After Covid I'd safely say that I'll probably never see a cost of living pay rise again before retirement.

Woah hang on. Let me clarify. The NHS should be separate to the public sector. They absolutely deserve to be given a pay rise for all their efforts not just during the pandemic but in general. So when I say public sector I refer to civil servants. And MPs should absolutely not be getting a pay rise.
Oh so we're making differences now, firefighters are public sector to, ok to piss on them? And the civil service that you're happy to hammer are already under payed and over worked, about to get extremely busy when furlough ends and millions of people go on benefits. Defence budget should have been slashed and the cost of servicing Trident alone would go a long way in the NHS each year. Never mind applauding the heroes, fking pay them properly and that will be more appreciated.

Oh so we're making differences now, firefighters are public sector to, ok to piss on them? And the civil service that you're happy to hammer are already under payed and over worked, about to get extremely busy when furlough ends and millions of people go on benefits. Defence budget should have been slashed and the cost of servicing Trident alone would go a long way in the NHS each year. Never mind applauding the heroes, fking pay them properly and that will be more appreciated.
Its about an economic balance. We have to invest in our defense. I'm not saying that fire fighters don't deserve a pay rise. I'm not saying that civil servants aren't under paid. I actually didn't hammer them at all. But failure to invest in some of these sectors doesn't just impact civil servants it affects many businesses and employees.

I'm not saying the government get it right. In fact I'm against many decisions this government have made despite being a Tori voter. But not everyone can have pay rises. These are dark and challenging times and we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Hundreds of thousands are going to lose their jobs in the coming months. This country is in a major financial hole that we won't be getting out of any time soon.

Its about an economic balance. We have to invest in our defense. I'm not saying that fire fighters don't deserve a pay rise. I'm not saying that civil servants aren't under paid. I actually didn't hammer them at all. But failure to invest in some of these sectors doesn't just impact civil servants it affects many businesses and employees.

I'm not saying the government get it right. In fact I'm against many decisions this government have made despite being a Tori voter. But not everyone can have pay rises. These are dark and challenging times and we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet. Hundreds of thousands are going to lose their jobs in the coming months. This country is in a major financial hole that we won't be getting out of any time soon.
Sure it's ok Brexit will kick in and limit our food and pharmaceutical supplies also, your Tory government is doing a great job :)

if everyone had that attitue then workers could be easily exploited.

Bare minimum they should be getting inflation.

But it is still a job.

A job that a lot of people have been doing for a long time without getting any real term pay increases.

10 years of austerity has hit them hard.

We all get it's tough times getting the books to balance for the government due to Covid but it doesn't mean they should shaft the workers.

At least you sum up the attitude of conservative voters nicely for all to see.

Just because this doesn't effect you don't mean you shouldn't care.
No hang on. I didn't say I don't care. But my point is this country is heading for an economic disaster. Once the covid fog has lifted we are all going to see how bad things are. Hundreds of thousands will be out of work if not millions.

Come on then, you guys tell me the answer here?

You have to protect jobs, you have to invest in the economy so it can recover and you're in a recession. So what's the answer?

And don't refer to MPs getting a pay rise, we all know that's ridiculous if they do. We all know they should refuse to accept and use that money to help the country or give the NHS staff a pay rise.

I'd start by closing all the tax loopholes they allow large businesses to exploit and not wasting a few billion on contracts for friends.

Income tax is going to rise. Putting a pay freeze on those that have worked the hardest through this pandemic certainly isn't the answer.

And you can't say not to mention the fact they've got yet another pay rise when it's criminal that they have. Why should people ignore it? And there's no if. They got their pay rise in the last few weeks. Instead people should stop turning a blind eye to it.

It's the age old argument for any government do you look to cut costs or do you look to raise revenues?

Tory governments tend to focus on cutting costs as they don't like raising taxes but reality is you need to constantly be looking at doing both. Yeah Covid is hitting hard but it's not like we have to pay that bill back in 12 months it will take decades to pay back and it's important that the world economies bounce back quickly. Putting money in workers pockets means you get some back in tax, they then have a bit more to spend which can boost your economy, it may also mean they don't require as much assistance from the welfare system.

No one is saying we need to give massive pay rises to the public sector workers but it needs to at least match inflation every year. If you aren't doing that then you as the employer are failing your staff.

The tax system in this country is clearly broken it's to easy for high earners to exploit loopholes to reduce tax bills and companies do it on a much bigger scale because legally they can. Not saying it's an easy fix but there has got to be a way of sorting it out.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back