Blogs: SEA View 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good article buddy and I couldn't agree more.

People think that when we say Rooney is done as a first team regular we are being disrespectful. But I don't believe it's meant that way at all. Rooney has had a great career. He's scored a lot of goals both for club and country and as you say his longevity at the top has to be admired.

But... But but but... He's never been a player who takes particularly good care of himself during the off season and he's never had the athletic build to carry on late in to his 30s.

The biggest regret must be that he never really went on from that Euro 2004 master class where he looked like the best young prospect out there. Whilst Messi and Ronaldo went away and improved their game, Rooney never did. He never really took his game to the next level. And that's probably because he was such a team player. Alyways willing to sacrifice himself for the good of the team. It's for that reason I believe he has been able to enjoy that longevity at United.

Sadly though as he's gotten older he's lost that aggressive speed and he's not as mobile as he once was. Whereas once upon a time you'd see him tear back to his own full backs area to win the ball, now we wait and hope to see that Rooney again. Sadly now he plays with his head rather than his heart and what that does is exploit his lack of technical ability compared to the very best.

How many strikers out there feel they need to move back in to midfield when their pace has gone? Can you imagine Ibra doing that? No because he's never relied on his pace he's always had much much more to his game.

I hope Jose can get one last top season out of Rooney though I have my doubts. I don't think his partnership with Ibra is going to yield great results and by Christmas I really do think Rooney will be starting a lot of games on the bench. Sadly that's the point he's reached in his career... Now maybe he needs to move on next summer? Find a new challenge? After 12 years at the top who could blame him if he fancies the big money move to America or China?

He's a United Legend, we'll miss him when he's gone but it's the Rooney of 3/4 years ago we will miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back