Berbatov's defining period as a United player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

With Rooney's injury I believe this could be make or break In Berbatov's Manchester United career. Against Chelsea many have viewed him as a failure and to have fallen at the first hurdle. I, however feel the whole team performance was poor. An accusation levelled at Berbatov is he struggles with the pressure of playing for United, surely his confidence will have been knocked after the defeat to Chelsea.

What do you think will happen, Berbatov to prove his doubters wrong or will his critics be justified?

berbatov will always have his critics(not me i love skill)only because people don't realise it,s a team game and berbie gives up his game half the time to help the team,he doesn't play the way that suits him all (if any )of the time,but being the great player he is he will persevere...hopefully at utd..

He did nothing on Wednesday night... Macheda would have been the better choice! (in my opinion)

Bestie said:
12 goals in 20 starts this season. Good enough for me.

Not good enough for me, I could add another perspective on that... How many points have his goals and assists won us this season?

Answer: One point.

He's slow, with no movement, unable to influence a game.

He's looked more like a midfielder this season, very rarely ventures into the box.

And the crowning bit of disappointment for me is the fact that his transfer and time on the pitch cost us Tevez, what I wouldn't have given to make Tevez's transfer perm and let Berba go.

Won't happen, Fergie is too proud to sell him now.

Not sure about Benzema, would he be a risk? unproven in the prem

Villa, Ribery and Vidic will sign for real in the summer, I think they will axe Higuen (sp?) and keep Benzema, even though Higuen is there best striker as they are not the brightest bunch....

Kaka has been an awful buy, Ronaldo is there only decent performer that they brough last season.

Oh and I doubt we'll get any more than £10m for Berba, and to be honest I can't see any european elite club that would buy him... Maybe AC milan?

If Berbatov was to leave, Milan would be the perfect destination. At £10m I'd rather keep hold of Berbatov though, no point in selling him for that little.

Sky Sports News talking this morning about harsh criticism of Berba for not trying. Thommo said it and he's a scouser. Another quote from another pundit "There was no doubt he was trying against Blackburn...nothing went right for him". End Quote.

Can't comment on today's performance it as I didn't see the game but what I heard on the radio it sounded as if he had quite a good game. There was less criticism. I really like Berba.

Re: Manchester United v Spurs

How much heat will Chelsea be feeling ? I'm sure they were banking on Spurs to impede our title procedures as we are banking on Stoke for an upset.

Spurs were cut open at the back on several occasions but we just couldn't find the end product.Special mention for Berbatov who in my opinion made some uncharacteristic displays.

He was fighting for the ball,arial battles with intent,taking shots not even Ruud Van Nistelrooy would contemplate,for him this wasn't his cool calm self but a man hungry to punish the opposition and hand United another day of spoils.

I understand at Bayer Leverkusen the team worked around him which caused him to shine ?He was Tottenham's top man but here,I think he needs adjusting.

As much as I like him and find him beautifully frustrating he stills holds up a "blitz attack" when united are on the move.What do you guys think ?Is there a way you guys see fit for him to take his game to the next level ?

A 4-5-1 formation doesnt utilise Berbatov's better attributes imo, he lacks the pace required to lead the line. Sheringham could not lead the line as he also lacked pace. Berba like Sheringham is suited to a 4-4-2 formation where he can drop deep and pull the strings.

In 1999 the team wasnt built on pace. We passed teams to death with quality, the current team havent the same quality. Berbatov could have easily slipped ito the Sheringham role of the 99 team.

To see the best of Berba we have to play 4-4-2 which we are unlikely to in bigger games. However, in the premier league the bigger games dont always determine the eventual winner. For me Berba still has a role to play at United. We dont know how fresh Rooney will be after World Cup so he wont necessarily start every game like he has this season.

Berbatov's future - I think it depends on SAF's preferred formation for next season. If he sticks to one up front, that will obviously be Rooney & Berbatov cannot fill this if Rooney is injured. However if he wants to play 4-4-2, then Berbatov is best playing off or providing support to someone else. Berbatov & Owen can play together well, but that leaves Rooney out in the cold.
I suspect Berbatov will stay for another season, but could well be sold in January if we are doing well without him. It could also depend on if we are successful in the transfer market this summer.

I think Fergie will keep him next season, but I'm sure he will not be our "main" striker.

Best we keep him, we need all the strikers we can get. :p

Every striker offeres something different, no 2 players are the same. Berba offers something different, therefore we should keep him. He needs 3 goals in 2 games to better last year's goalscoring record. If he does it, it will take him to 15 for the season and that would be decent in my opinion. Considering some of his appearances have been sub appearances. Still a lot more to come from Berba in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back