Ballon d’Or 2018

IDFD

Reports that Ronaldo and Messi haven’t made the final 3 this year. Mbappe Modric Varane expected to be the final 3.

Mbappe! he's a great talent, and played some great matches, but Ballon D'or... really.

This is just based on the WC then?

Why isn't De Bruyne, Kane or Silva in there

This medal is a bit of joke if I'm being honest.

I think the Modric love in as gone too far now also. Yes he’s a great player but he’s not that big game changer you associate these medals with. Is he even the best central midfielder at his club let alone the best player over the last 12 months.

If true it just shows how ridiculous the world cup sways opinion because I don't think any of those 3 deserve to win the award.

Mbappe & Varane had great world cups but they were part of a great team because Kante, Pogba, Griezmann etc all had great world cups it wasn't a 1 man leading his side to victory thing.

Varane I can possibly understand. He had a great season at Madrid by all accounts, won CL and WC. And it's great a defender is recognised with this award.

But Mbappe and Modric, no. It's a joke. How a City player, probably the best side around at the moment, doesn't get a player in is baffling. I didn't even think Modric had that great a WC. He played well but wasn't anything special.

I thought Modric was the best individual player at the World Cup he dictated nearly every game getting his team to the final.

Think Varane had a good World Cup but was he really any better than the rest of the back 4 and Madrid didn’t win the CL because of the defence they won it because of Ronaldo banging in loads of goals and they’ve been horrible in the league in 2018.

Don’t think there was really any outstanding candidates to be honest. Modric probably wasn’t the best player even for Croatia at the WC but as a collective guess he was a decent choice. Glad tonse

The presenter asked the first female winner if she could Twerk! Doh

Don’t really get Modrics comments.

"Maybe in the past there are some players who could have won the Ballon d'Or like Xavi, Andres Iniesta or [Wesley] Sneijder but people finally now are looking at someone else," he said.

"This award is for all the players who probably deserved to win it and didn't. It was a really special year for me.

There have been good players but these two have been head and shoulders above the rest of the world for a decade.

I don't like thet they rarely look beyond attacking players. And mainly stay in Spain.

Messi in 2017/18:

• 3 trophies
• Most goals
• Most assists
• Most key passes
• Most chances created
• Most dribbles
• Most MOTMs in Europe’s TOP 5 leagues
• 5th Golden Shoe

Voted the 5th best player in the world. Laughable

Are you including the Spanish Charity Shield in the 3 trophies? How many trophies did Mbappe win?

It's heavily weighted towards Champions League & World Cup performance and Messi didn't really produce the headlines in either tournament. 5th is nuts like you say the other stats make him top 3 I'd have had him 3rd.

I maintain individual awards are ridiculous as the game is going back towards being a team game and the fact they do them by calendar rather than season makes them even more ridiculous.

I think Modric has a strong case won the CL and helped get his team to the World Cup final he was superb at the world cup as well despite a lot of off field problems.

He makes a fair point that for to long goals have dominated the voting but we have to accept that we've had 2 players who've defined a decade and we may never see this again it's not just an argument of who's better Ronaldo or Messi it could be who's number 1 and who's number 2 of all time. No one in history has been this good for this long but then the players from history didn't have super clubs made up of the worlds best as football was more local based when they played.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back