Bailly injury

Sideshow Bob

Bailly suffers knee injury in defeat at Chelsea - Official Manchester United Website

Jose Mourinho has admitted he fears Eric Bailly was "badly injured" during Manchester United's 4-0 defeat at Chelsea on Sunday.

The Ivory Coast defender was forced off with a problem on 52 minutes and was replaced by Marcos Rojo.

The Reds boss confirmed afterwards that Bailly has a knee issue which could be serious.

"He is injured and I am afraid he is badly injured," Mourinho told reporters at the post-match press conference. "In his knee, in the ligament area. He feels it is really bad."

A ligament injury can be anywhere from a month to 6 months plus. This is very worrying indeed, he has been a rock for us when players around him have been awful. Looks like it could be Smalling and Blind as a partnership for a while. Or I guess we could promote Tuanzebe but it's a lot to ask of a young lad. All hinges on the results of any tests Bailly has.

Could have been worse I guess. But he'll be back at Christmas and then jetting off again for the AFCON. Before we know it our last resort will be Jones, well in between him slipping on a piece of Lego at home and being out for 6 months!

Huge huge blow! Just when we thought it really couldn't get much worse... It does!! He's been the best of our new signings and leaves us once again exposed at the back.

Wow. Wasn't expecting him to be back so soon. Good for us. But who sits out Rojo or Jones?

Mourinho:

Speaking to MUTV at the Aon Training Complex on Friday afternoon, Mourinho began his update by discussing Bailly's availability. "He can’t be in this game but it doesn’t look as serious as we first thought," he said. "Normally we hope to have him back for Christmas period. Smalling is coming back for this game."

His attitude the other night would have impressed Mourinho, must have been about 5 times he looked like he'd have to come off but just got back up and carried on.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back