Ashley Young - officially signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool can have him for 20 million extra 5-6 million would get us sanchez

Ashley Young possibly starting every game for Liverpool may tempt him but why turn down Champions League football at United?

Champions League football, playing for the Champions of England. It's a no-brainer for me regardless of playing for Liverpool and Fergie is the master of keeping players happy.

If we don't get him we'll get someone better... if Liverpool don't get him they'll get someone worse.

Young was seen sitting next to Smalling tonight at OT watching the FAYC. I saw it and couldn't figure out who it was, seems like it was Young though.

I saw somebody next to Smalling and it definitely wasnt Young could of been at a different time though.

seems he's been telling everyone at Villa that's join us, and the deal was done months ago?
Heard something to that effect, Sky were hinting we're close to signing Young yesterday.

Ugh.... I just don't rate Ashley Young that highly. I don't think he is useless I just don't think he can add anything to the squad. We have two class wingers and some great youthful prospects. I'm one of the few who would not be entirely happy with his arrival.

Wonder if Sir Alex will sell Nani? if he does, makes sense getting Young, plus for me Young much more effective down the left than Nani.

Can kind of understand why we would go for Young... (Although I would MUCH prefer to get Sanchez, Douglas, Hazard, even Alex Oxlade Chamberlain)... Young would be cheap enough considering he has 1 year left on his contract, don't think we need to spend much on a winger as centre midfield needs investment. Also he is good from set plays and is a good crosser (both needed). I'm not behind or against this move, I feel we could sign better wingers but then again I wouldn't be happy if we spent 30 million+ on a winger and not invest as much in a central midfielder

Ugh.... I just don't rate Ashley Young that highly. I don't think he is useless I just don't think he can add anything to the squad. We have two class wingers and some great youthful prospects. I'm one of the few who would not be entirely happy with his arrival.
Fair enough that's your opinion which you're perfectly entitled to.

I'd be of a opposite opinion, i think Young is probably a better player than most people give him credit for.

A lot of people who don't want Young expressed the same concerns when we signed Valencia. Could be another surprise. Don't see why we'd need to sell Nani or anyone if we signed him. If rumours are true, Fergie wants to play Nani in a more central area. Young can also play a central role.

Like Jason said, Young is better than most people think, plus moving to a bigger club could take his game to the next level. He's a more versatile player than Nani, and is for sure better at cutting in from the left flank.

I like him even more because he cuts in and crosses rather than always trying for a shot, an irritating aspect of Nani's game.

I think it's been in line for some time. I remember seeing in the January transfer window that he was 2/1 to sign for us back then. The odds at the time seemed almost a little suspicious! I think he can be decent for us. We'd have three pacey wingers if he signs, two of which can play left or right, plus he gives us another option on set pieces (something we've been lacking.) It's all good saying "we could sign Sanchez for a little more" but in retrospect, the Italian league is much different to the Premier League and Young would be much more likely to fit in and perform in the Premier League.

Let's not forget that Fergie just loves wingers.

Young comes into that category.

Ian McGarry on BBC 5Live saying that Ashley Young is off to Liverpool not United. I think he is right, it has been my understanding since January.

I thought that was official then.... just newspaper talk

Hope he doesn't go to Pool, wold be their best midfield player
You'd have to think that Young would be tempted by Champions League football at United, even if he's only part of the squad.

Assuming we're going to get him.

If Young needs to make a decision on to join United or Liverpool, I don't want him then

Nothing to really to consider - if he wants to win trophies and is a real footballer

I think both us and the Scousers will be after him. He'd be guaranteed more starts over in Merseyside but will get his fair share of trophies with us. It's gonna be a tough one to call but I think he'll sign for us.

I think both us and the Scousers will be after him. He'd be guaranteed more starts over in Merseyside but will get his fair share of trophies with us. It's gonna be a tough one to call but I think he'll sign for us.
Champions League football will tempt him, playing every Thursday night won't.

Watched Graham Taylor on Sky Sports News today and he was saying as far as he's concerned Young is going to move on.

I went to watch him in the friendly against Ghana in March and he was absolutely terrible, but his second half performance yesterday makes me think he could be a very useful player for us, mainly due to his versatility.

I think Young has improved and i agree he did well for England yesterday.

I keep hearing it's a done deal but i haven't heard anything yet.

I do rate Young, I think he has developed well for Villa since they signed him from Watford a few years a go. Apart from his tantrums, I am a fan of his speed and creativity - not to mention his effectiveness from set-pieces.

My worry is whether he'd develop much more at United if he isn't going to play regularly. How often will he get in the team with the likes of Nani, Valencia and Park's form... and if we sign Young does that open the door for Nani to leave?

My worry is whether he'd develop much more at United if he isn't going to play regularly. How often will he get in the team with the likes of Nani, Valencia and Park's form... and if we sign Young does that open the door for Nani to leave?

Fair point.

With Fergie's rotation policy Young should feature. Gibson and Obertan made 20 and 15 appearances respectively. I would assume Young will be more involved than those two.

The left wing position is up for grabs. Nani is less convincing on the left in my opinion. Young could well fit the bill.

If Young is joining us expect the fee to be something like £18.75 million or something.

Usually the two clubs reach a middle ground on a fee, so hence a few million here or there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back