Ashley Young | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked tired after 60 minutes just not got the legs to play full back at this level for 90 minutes.

Harsh for his first game after the World Cup but this happened last season and it will happen again this season and it’s not his fault he’s in his mid 30s very few full backs survive at the top level into their mid 30s and this lad was a winger for his entire career.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2018

After his horror show against Newcastle, he was very good against arguably the best player in the league.

Vs Juventus

What do we think?

Tried hard put the effort in and lead the team from that point of view really took the fight to Juventus nice and aggressive but the quality of his final ball was terrible wasted a lot of good attacking positions with a poor delivery.

Felt to me like Juventus offered us the right side to attack from as they felt the threat from that side was less than the threat from the left.

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-2 Manchester United - 3rd November 2018

He was very good.

Won lots of clever fouls but not sure having Mata in front of him helped first half.

Hard working soldier but shouldn’t have to be doing the job he’s doing for the team he’s helping them at 33 rather than them helping him.

Why why why does he not exploit empty space in front of him and get a cross in instead of stopping and passing back?????

Why why why does he not exploit empty space in front of him and get a cross in instead of stopping and passing back?????

Plays safe because he knows he’s not got the energy to sprint back knows he needs to make his legs last 90 minutes.

He doesn’t have someone covering him if he does go so I think it’s smart to play safe

Did you see his crossing? Terrible. Great delivery when ball is static.

Loved his first cross a few minutes into the game. Think that ball is still orbiting the earth

Premier League: Manchester City 3-1 Manchester United - 11th November 2018

His positional awareness was poor.

Who would have thought our first choice right back would have been Ashley frickin Young? He can do a job but gosh I would prefer to throw Dalot in there and just give him a run, he was bought for a reason, let him show his talent.

Young has been a noble soldier who's given it all for Utd but he was always a back up winger and if this squad had been put together properly he'd be a back up full back or in reality he'd be playing at another club by now.

He works hard and tries but the quality has never been there for me for him to be a Utd player.

Dalot seems to be picking up injuries but they seem to be keeping his problem quiet and no one seems to know when he'll be back the reality is fairly soon it'll be back to the Young/Valencia rotation game.

The more I read and the more I think the more depressing it gets. There are so many positions that need addressing it it unreal.

The more I read and the more I think the more depressing it gets. There are so many positions that need addressing it it unreal.

Well hopefully Dalot is a possible solution to this problem he was signed for £20m this summer to hopefully avoid having to pay £40m for him next summer but the lad needs to be playing regularly if he's going to improve. Once he's fit the way the league campaign is going they might as well chuck him in for a run of games.

Isn't he a centre back that played right back at the world cup for France?

Young is a good servant but he misses so many opportunities to run into space and deliver a cross. It just shows how bad he is on the left, he’s not so good on the right either

we should have bought Pavard
Wasn’t that impressed to be honest. He looked like a centre back playing right back.

There is nothing to lose really by giving Dalot a run, obviously in the big games maybe bring in the experience but give the guy a run when he’s fit. Valencia and Young are at the veteran stage now and they should be squad players at the very best.

Premier League: Leicester City 0-1 Manchester United - 3rd February 2019

He was awful.

United better sign a new right back in the summer.

He was bloody awful. I'd just give Dalot the role next season if not now. We've got a couple of very good right backs coming through in Laird and O'Connor. If we can get an experienced right back in relatively cheap though that would be iddeal. I want a LB to compete with Shaw more.

I think a new right back should be the number one priority in the summer. I'm not convinced by Dalot and believe Laird is the better prospect.

I think a new right back should be the number one priority in the summer. I'm not convinced by Dalot and believe Laird is the better prospect.
Laird is a top prospect but it’s hard to judge Dalot really, he has had opportunities but I think a run in the side is where he will really show his talent. I definitely think we need a new right back and have these young guys in reserve.

It’s amazing that our viable right back options are Young and Valencia. Young is a slightly better option because Valencia’s goose is cooked but he has been pretty awful.

The Dalot signing is a strange one as really Utd need players who are ready to go straight in learning on the job isn't really going to happen at Utd.

The investment they've made in Dalot means they probably need to give him a proper chance but to do that he needs to stay fit.

I think the club need to sign a right back in the summer if it was up to me I'd be putting serious money down for Wan Bissaka from Palace that lad is brilliant personally I think he's the best right back in the league at the moment and should be starting for England.

I'm a big fan of Wan-Bissaka but I can't see any sense in getting another young RB in. Either get a mid-late 20's right back in or place faith in youth and Young. I though Dalot was very good at LB the other week when Shaw withdrew late, and i'd like to see him get a chance in his favoured position, he likely will at Fulham this weekend with Young potentially kept back for PSG.

Dalot was well thought of, I don't think we should get rid or look to replace without a decent run out. Seeing as this season is a bit of a write off, I would have thought this is the perfect time to test him out.
I'm interested to see where Munich are going to play Pavard next year. He would have been great buy, can play 2 positions across the back.

I'm a big fan of Wan-Bissaka but I can't see any sense in getting another young RB in. Either get a mid-late 20's right back in or place faith in youth and Young. I though Dalot was very good at LB the other week when Shaw withdrew late, and i'd like to see him get a chance in his favoured position, he likely will at Fulham this weekend with Young potentially kept back for PSG.

I think the way he's played he looks ready made now he's playing every week and he's putting top players in his pocket every week but I guess it's how much faith we have in Dalot to develop quickly. Ideally Utd would have sent him back on loan to Porto to play but they wouldn't have wanted that given the way they operate and injuries have been a problem for him.

I think he's looked ok and if it was up to me I'd be playing Dalot in some the league games and FA Cup games to the end of the season my concern is in training he obviously isn't looking better than Young who is an ok right back but with games coming thick and fast again there should be games due to rotation.

The fact Dalot can play left and right back maybe makes him a good backup I think in the summer Utd need to bring in another left back as well to compete with Shaw as well.

I reckon Pavard will play CB for Bayern. Was only ever going to go to Bayern.

Unless, Dalot isn't fancied by Solskjaer or whoever the next manager is, I think we have to move for a 26+ year old to fill the position or just go with what we've got as midfield and CB gonna take a large portion of the transfer budget.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool - 24th February 2019

I thought he was rubbish again.

I thought he is a great game. Kept them quiet and put in some amazing balls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back