Ashley Young - Captain next season.

Ben Townsend

Ribery and Robben no longer playing for bayern next season.
Kompany no longer at City
Bale seemingly frozen out at Madrid.

We still have Smalling, Jones and Young, all getting new deals as they please and according to reports Young with be the captain next season ?

I thought Pogba was getting it?

Vice Captain apparently is the offer to him and given they don't expect Young to play every game next season he'd be captain in a lot of games.

Young is taking over from Valencia as club captain basically the most senior player in the squad it's hardly a surprise he's been performing that role all season.

Goes without saying if the club wasn't such a mess in terms of organisation over the last 5 years then Young wouldn't be here but I see no problem with giving him this role.

I don't believe in having 1 captain for a team to be successful you need multiple leaders taking responsibility and setting/maintaining standards

Yeah I have seen reports Young will be named club captain. Obviously Valencia was this year and didn’t play much and then Carrick the time before that. So this doesn’t mean he will be first choice but it really shows our lack of leaders that he’s the captain.

If he starts as first choice right back next year you can stick a fork in me because I will be done!

Who else we gonna give it to?

Next most obvious candidate is Smalling.

Umm... Fair question. Someone else though. Young shouldn't be in the team next year. Hell he shouldn't really be here but he will be.

Umm... Fair question. Someone else though. Young shouldn't be in the team next year. Hell he shouldn't really be here but he will be.

My guess is like Valencia he will be more of a non playing captain there mainly to set a good example off the pitch rather than on it.

If he stays would imagine Pogba to be made vice captain.

I don’t think a captain is that important in football anyway you need a group of players who all take responsibility if you want to be on top

If he stays would imagine Pogba to be made vice captain.

I don’t think a captain is that important in football anyway you need a group of players who all take responsibility if you want to be on top

Pogba isn't staying. I think things are too far gone for him to remain now. That's just my personal view anyway.

As for the captain role. I agree within the club it's more important to have a group of players. That said I think it's important for the fans to have a guy to get behind as club captain. That guy isn't, for me, Young.

Pogba isn't staying. I think things are too far gone for him to remain now. That's just my personal view anyway.

As for the captain role. I agree within the club it's more important to have a group of players. That said I think it's important for the fans to have a guy to get behind as club captain. That guy isn't, for me, Young.

I dunno I think he might stay because he’s not got anywhere else to go I just don’t see Madrid paying what we want for him. That said if they do come in he’s gone as I think that is what he wants but he might have to stick around for another season unless he’s prepared to take a pay cut to make it happen.

I dunno for to long we’ve gone down this one man icon route Rooney had that for years after the likes of Rio, Vidic, Evra all left. Yes 1 leader will always emerge within a group but really you need to get the right group together first then see who emerges from it.

Sadly I’d say Young is the natural leader of this group he’s one of few who front up in difficult times and never lets his effort levels drop or give us but his body can only do so much now and ability wise he was always limited.

Sadly I’d say Young is the natural leader of this group he’s one of few who front up in difficult times and never lets his effort levels drop or give us but his body can only do so much now and ability wise he was always limited.

I don't disagree with this but actually should we not be building a future of core players to take this team back to where it once was? And so bringing players in and giving younger players the chance to be the club captain may actually be the better move?

I don't disagree with this but actually should we not be building a future of core players to take this team back to where it once was? And so bringing players in and giving younger players the chance to be the club captain may actually be the better move?

I think you bring them in and see who emerges next season from the group as the natural leader then appoint them as the captain when young retires/leaves next summer.

It may be an existing player or a new player who becomes top boy in the dressing room and starts taking responsibility for the group whatever happens this summer new season has to be a clean slate policy what happened before is gone we all start on zero again all excuses are gone.

It’s very brave to appoint a new player as captain puts big pressure on him both with the existing players and fans.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back