Arsene Wenger at Arsenal 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Thread for discussions on Arsene Wenger and Arsenal in 2017/18.

Premier League: Arsenal 4-3 Leicester City - 11th August 2017

Played 1
Wins 1
Draws 0
Defeats 0

I've got Arsenal down as a banker for top four this season and even to make a token title challenge.

I think any Gooners wanting Wenger out are crazy. He's had them playing good football at a consistently high level for twenty years, and without the budget of Chelsea or the Manchester clubs. You'd think they would look at United post-Fergie and realise what fate could await them with Wenger's departure.

I enjoyed the game last night. The comeback and scoreline were reminiscent of United under Fergie. Gary seemed to think so too...

830425228.jpg

Arsenal news: Man Utd legend Gary Neville trolled for 'celebrating' win v Leicester | Metro News

:D

I think if they signed a center back like Van Dijk to steady that back line and Alexis does stay Gav81 is right they will be up there. Just think that Holding isn't ready to start and Monreal isn't a real center half. Going forward they have so many options so goals isn't a problem just watching last night they are a mess at the back. Having said that watching them defend was no where near as bad as listening to Jamie Carragher's commentary!

Premier League: Stoke City 1-0 Arsenal - 19th August 2017

Played 2
Wins 1
Draws 0
Defeats 1

Premier League: Liverpool 4-0 Arsenal - 27th August 2017

Played 3
Wins 1
Draws 0
Defeats 2

He should have left at the end of last season. Looking more and more forlorn with passing week.

Chances of a Wenger out banner in their next game? Pretty high I would say.

They were woeful today in every respect. Woeful is being very kind too.

They were already chanting wenger out today. 3 games in and already in a crisis. This is going to be a long season for an Arsenal fan. For me it's gonna be an enjoyable one watching AFTV.

I didn't catch all the game so didn't hear that chanting but can imagine Arsenal fans were pretty peeved from what they were seeing.

There will be an Arsenal fan as we speak hiring a plane and a banner to fly over the Emirates in the next home game.

The wenger out stuff was never going away and the start to the season couldn't have gone much worse for them.

Wenger is making bad decisions now as well that are hurting the team.

Why play Bellerin on the left when you've got a left back on the bench?
Why persist with the back 3 when you don't really have the players for it?
If you are going to play it why not play Mertesacker in it? Sit deep and frustrate then play on the break, it's how bad teams get results at Anfield. Arsenal aren't a bad team but nothing wrong with copying the tactic.
Why bench Lacazette for the big game?
Why is he still picking Ozil in these big games away from home? This team is not good enough to carry him defensively.

They're loaning Mustafi to Inter? Koscielney is a ticking time bomb for injury, Mertesacker seems more of a coach than a player now, Gabriel is rubbish, Holding is a kid & he's been trying to sell Chambers all summer. What's the plan at CB this season? If Mustafi is going they should be pushing for Jonny Evans or go big on Van Dijk.

Everything that's wrong with that club can be solved by one thing sack the manager it needs a fresh face, how anyone can go along with the in arsene we trust thing boggles my mind.

Shambles is what comes to mind when I think about Arsenal this summer. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I think the biggest failure at Arsenal this summer is they haven't cleared out enough of the deadwood which is probably what stopped them signing more players. I think the 2 guys they've signed are good signings but the mess that is still there with Sanchez/Ozil/Wilshere going into the last 12 months.

Arsenal go out of CL for 1 season and can't attract Lemar we're out of it twice in 3 years and in those summers we signed Di Maria/Falcao & Pogba/Ibra.

All this money washing around in the league this season and Arsenal have made a profit in the transfer window.

For me personally all these players that had a year to go on their contract had to be sold at the start of the window. Your talking upwards of 150 million just walking out on a free next season. So that means Arsenal need to spend £150 million upwards just to get back to where they are now. Its terrible business and i cant believe a board would let a manager on a 2 year deal have so much power to make massive decisions like that.

City could come in and bid say £30 million for Alexis in Jan. But there's so much football to be played between now and then its hard to tell how attractive an option that will be come the next window. I think the City link was so strong because it represented his best option of getting out of Arsenal. In Jan foreign clubs can offer him a deal to leave on a free in July. If PSG, Juventus or even Barca offered him a contact would he still pick City? I'm not sure he would.

Overall point is this is a mess at this club. I doubt any of there fans are waking up this morning and pleased they've made a profit. It wasn't the point of the window. I think Wilshire will sign a new deal which now one wants to see anyway. But i cant see Arsenal being anywhere near it now.

I think selling a player isn't as easy as some thing as other clubs are happy to wait and play the bluffing game but I tend to agree with Sanchez they should've just gone to Man City and said give us £75m now and he's yours and City probably would've done it. I think they hoped that PSG would come for him so they didn't have to sell him to another PL side but when they went for Neymar instead they were screwed. I actually think Ozil will sign a new deal at the club a where else is he going to go? I can't see him earning more money and being given as much freedom as he is at Arsenal. We all know his biggest fan is actually one Mr Mourinho he even wrote the foreword for Ozil in his recent book. Mourinho would probably get more out of him as he wouldn't tolerate his lack of effort if he's not going it he'd get subbed at Arsenal it seems he can do whatever he wants and there's no punishment.

The whole clubs a mess

The owner only cares about the share price and there are reports he may even leverage loans against the club to fund other business interests.
The board are token stooges with no power, the chief exec doesn't have the authority to sack the manager or alter the structure of the club, they also seem to be struggled to attract the huge commercial deals that other rival clubs are pulling in.
The manager has clearly lost touch with the modern game in terms of tactics, player development, player sales, player purchases the whole football side of that club is a mess. The board then reward regression in this department by giving the guy in change a new 2 year contract with a 25% pay rise.

The only thing that will make the owner stand up and take notice is if the share price drops which is unlikely as even without CL football, Arsenal is still a very viable business because they're not trying to compete on that level so spending on transfers/wages is sustainable, match day and TV revenue continues to grow so the balance sheet looks healthy which is what keeps the share price up.

Think I've said it elsewhere fans need to stop fighting each other and start working together it's to late for boycots and marches don't work, I'd be trying to organise mass walk outs of the next 3 or 4 home games on 20 minutes as many people as possible leave. This sends a very visual message to the manager, the board and the owner that the fans (customers) aren't happy.

Premier League: Arsenal 3-0 Bournemouth - 9th September 2017

Played 4
Wins 2
Draws 0
Defeats 2

Premier League: Watford 2-1 Arsenal - 14th October 2017

Played 8
Won 4
Drawn 1
Lost 3
Points 13

Premier League: Arsenal 2-1 Seansea City - 28th October 2017

Played 10
Won 6
Drawn 1
Lost 3
Points 19

3 game touchline ban and fine for the way he behaved after West Brom were awarded a penalty.

FA Cup: Nottingham Forest 4-2 Arsenal - 7th January 2018

Arsenal eliminated for the first time in the third round in 21 years!

They can’t have any complaints either picked a weakened side and paid the price no cohesion in the play as it was clear that these lads never play together and Mertesacker was a liability in defence playing in a back 4 rather than playing in a 3.

Surely this has to be his last season they can’t keep going on like this, it’ll take a few seasons to rebuild that squad when Ozil & Sanchez go even worse they won’t get the money to rebuild as they’ve let them go on a free.

They were like us under LVG pull the plug and rebuild under a younger hungry manager with something to prove and new ideas as it’s clear the Wenger model doesn’t work.

One rumour doing the rounds was Wenger will move upstairs at end of the season and Arteta will take over as manager, he’s currently working as a first team coach at City. My worry with that would be how much freedom Arteta would have to do it his way.

Some of our work regarding contracts can be baffling at times in terms of leaving it late to renew but Arsenal's handling of Sanchez and Ozil contracts has been shocking. We avoid these situations by putting in place a one year extension option for ourselves to trigger. Recent extensions for Mata, Herrera, Blind and Young mean very little, just safeguarding ourselves. We triggered the extension last year with Fellaini but it seems he wants to leave now.

We’ve had it with Keane, Rooney & De Gea all of them run contracts down to final years all stayed singing huge new deals 2 of them because Utd broke wage structures to get them to sign and De Gea because of a dodgy fax machine.

If Arsenal had got their replacement sorted in the summer I think they’d have sold Sanchez but they left it until the last minute and Lemar rejected the transfer to Arsenal so Sanchez had to stay, I think they hoped Ozil would sign because they’d be able to give him a big offer once Sanchez was gone. I wouldn’t rule that out.

Ozil still seems like he’s part of the squad whereas Sanchez looks like a total outsider that the players are all sick of.

Premier league: Bournemouth 2-1 Arsenal - 14th January 2018

The rot continues they’ve got injuries but they’re a real mess at the moment.

If Sanchez & Ozil both go there’s nothing left for the next manager the whole team needs rebuilt and the owners don’t seem prepared to sanction the sort of spending that will need to be done could easily cost them £500m over 3 summers to get back to the top with prices the way they are.

The owners love Wenger because he doesn't empty their pockets. Expect many protests next season if he's still there.

The owners love Wenger because he doesn't empty their pockets. Expect many protests next season if he's still there.

True but he also used to help fill them by getting them in the CL every season which is worth £50m a season to the club.

Surely this is his last season. He’s more than likely going to lose Sanchez and Ozil, Wilshere may also go, also not sure they are going to attract the very best players because I think Wenger’s reputation has taken a massive hit.

They need a new manager in with fresh ideas and try and build another era there. Obviously they are going to need major investment to replace these players but it isn’t beyond the realms of possibility that they can get back to the top.

There were reports that Ancelotti has agreed to take over next season but it'll be kept hush hush until the end of the season.

You look at that team and they need a complete overhaul Cech is costing them points now, Koscielney is getting injured a lot, Xhaka not a holding mid, Wilshere/Ozil/Sanchez all out of contract in the summer, Ramsey out of contract next summer.

In terms of the new manager building a team he's basically for Lacazette who's been struggling after a good start and Bellerin who's a promising young right back everything else probably needs replacing. It will take 3 or 4 years to put right and might cost £500-600m and you just don't feel the club would be willing to show that ambition in the market.

League Cup Final: Arsenal 0-3 Manchester City - 25th February 2018

Gary Neville didn't hold back with his criticism of Arsenal's performance.

This will surely be Wenger's last season at Arsenal?

League Cup Final: Arsenal 0-3 Manchester City - 25th February 2018

Gary Neville didn't hold back with his criticism of Arsenal's performance.

This will surely be Wenger's last season at Arsenal?

I was watching the final with an Arsenal fan. He switched the TV off so he didn't have to listen to another half an hour of Neville's criticism

Should e called it quits 4 years ago when he got that first FA Cup.

The club really need to pull the plug on him now the excuses don’t wash anymore and it’s not just today there’s multiple games now where the players let them down and cave in. The reason for that? They know there’s no punishment for failure.

Actually feel a little sorry for them. We’re terrible today. That’s season over for them they aren’t beating Atletico to the Europa

Surely this has to be his last season at Arsenal. They have been absolutely powder puff tonight against City. Obviously City are unreal but the whole team look devoid of any kind of quality when there are so many quality players out there. They need a new coach with fresh ideas and someone that is going to push the club along. They are incredibly stagnant right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back