Arsenal's next manager?

IDFD

Where do we think Arsenal should go on here. Been discussing it on Facebook today with an Arsenal fan. Here's what I said:

'As an outsider feel free to shoot me down. But after the mess we made appointing David Moyes I think you should learn from us and go with someone who is a massive character. You haven't got a poor squad far from it. Lacking in a world class DM and a CB light but other than that it's a good squad. In Ozil Mhki Lacazette and Aubamayang you've got a fantastic front 4. I'd be moving heaven and earth to get Simeone in. Steady the shit and start from back to front. At the top end of the pitch you're in a good place and there aren't many better than him at the defensive side of the game.'

They seem very divided on where they want to go. A lot advocating Vieira or Arteta. I think that could turn in to a bloodbath.

Arsenal leaning towards Arteta, here’s why that’s the right decision (long read)

I think they need experience, I think Simeone they'll just get all the dull football comments, the press love to shoot people down. And their fans didn't even give Wenger much grace.

I think I would go Ancelotti and bring in ex club player alongside him.

Arteta certainly seems to be the current front runner with the bookies and Allegri has given a strong hint that he's staying at Juventus he seemed the most likely big name option.

Arsenal apparently haven't even done interviews yet they've just drawn up their list of names and now that seasons are ending they will look to interview their top candidates and they're some way off announcing the new manager. Their list of potential candidates was apparently 15 people long.

Arsenal have gone for a complete change of structure. Wenger isn't being replaced by 1 man he's being replaced by 3 men they've got that head of recruitment from Dortmund and a director of football from Barcelona who joined earlier this season & it seems that these 2 along with Gazidis (the chief exec) will pick the new coach.

It sees the Dortmund guy will be identifying the players, the Barca guy is responsible for getting the deals done and the new coach will be employed to select the tactics and pick the team. This is very similar to how Chelsea have set things up basically all they want the manager/coach to do is pick the team and set the tactics everything else is dealt with by others and you will be judged by your results which is a more European setup.

I would've gone Ancelotti but the more I think about it the worse I think that idea is he's a fixer for a big club who have talented players who just need a change of atmosphere that isn't Arsenal. Arsenal are a club who need a massive overhaul on the pitch and if anything they need a manager who's going to whip them into shape but he needs to fit with the traditions of Arsenal and try to bring back the beautiful football because that has long gone.

The biggest job for the new manager is going to be uniting the fans again because that place is toxic, Wenger going will lift a cloud from the Wenger out fans but the new guy will need to get them and the Wenger in brigade on board so that's why I think they're keen to look at an ex player who was popular with fans. If I was going down that route I'd probably go Vieira as he's got more experience from his time working at Man City and New York.

Whoever comes in unless the club can sign a new keeper, new defence and new midfield I don't see them getting much better that playing squad needs a complete overhaul. The attacking options are very good but the rest is very average and needs a complete clear out and start from scratch.

Of the established names the one I think they should really go for would be Brendan Rodgers his sides play the football the Arsenal fans expect to see, he's shown he can handle the pressure of working in Scotland and he's got decent PL experience plus he's used to working in clubs with a more modern structure.

Just seen on Sky Sports that Arteta and Nagelsmann top the list.

Nagelsmann has done amazingly well to get Hoffenheim in the Champions League and he finished above stalwarts Dortmund and Leverkusen. Although he would be a risk but who isn’t a risk these days unless you’re top top drawer. Allegri would be a risk because English football is so different to Italian. Obviously Arteta would be, as would Vieira.

I would applaud them if they go for someone like Arteta or Nagelsmann and try build a new era with a young coach with fresh ideas.

There are not many other options out there that look to be available. Tuchel has just gone to PSG, can’t see Ancelotti or Allegri. You have someone like Jardim at Monaco or Sarri at Napoli I suppose. But if I was putting on money now I think Arteta is a good shout.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Emery came out of nowhere hadn’t even seen him linked but used to working in the structure Arsenal have set up.

He got the best out of players at Valencia & Sevilla where he had players willing to listen to his methods and stick to them by all accounts that didn’t happen with PSG.

You imagine the team will become much better organised under him but it is unlikely to be the return to glory years of winning and playing beautiful football.

The reports are Arteta was talked to but wanted more say on transfers and back room staff than Arsenal were offering.

I think that's a great appointment actually and to be honest I wish we conducted a thorough search like this. After the Moyes debacle it kind of felt like we went with most experienced guy available.

Arsenal have basically spent a year replacing Wenger new people positioned that watered down his role and control before the final curtain was pulled down.

The arsenal fans on twitter seem fairly down on the idea.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back