Are we a top striker from being a very good team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

@boothstownred's post from Fellaini's match discussion thread:

I felt for him a bit today. He doesn't have a strikers instinct. He plays an unusual position at his best, sort of a number ten target man. He can be effective there but as the main striker, not for me. I am quite frustrated in a way because I actually think we are a top striker from being a very good team.

Personally, I think the attacking unit as a whole is lacking a bit, and believe we require at least two more additions.

What say you?

In terms of numbers I would agree with you but in terms of quality one would do. He would have to be a good one tho. Another squad player wouldn't improve us greatly but a quality striker would.

I think we lack someone with pace down the right, Pedro would have been ideal, but it seems that we have bigger targets in mind. For me that is the main void, we are a threat down the left but offer very little on the right. As for whether we need a striker it depends on two things for me - do we view Rooney as a long term option as a number 9.. And it also depends on how Martial goes this season. If we view Rooney as a 9 and Martial goes well this season and proves he could be a regular starter next season, then I feel we will be fine as we would have 3 good options there for one starting position (I still have a lot of faith in Wilson).

However should this not be the case and Rooney is looked at as a 10 long term, or even deeper, then we would need to sign one. I think we are fine on the left with Depay who's potential is frightening. I also feel we have very good options at 10, with a right sided addition Mata could play centrally. Also Januzaj will hopefully come back a better player. Pereira could kick on too. So in essesnce a right sided player would make a huge difference. Still baffled why we didn't sign Pedro, regardless of if we felt we could get someone better.

Yeah the right wing is in need of attention. Depay, Young and Martial all prefer to cut in from the left. One I feel will need to switch. I'd like to see Memphis on the right. His signature move is cutting in from the left and shooting, but I think he's got a good cross in him and would like to see how he'd do from the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back