Anyone else concerned with the lack of transfer activity?

Tbf you just tried to use his signings as an excuse for it. When they’ve been good signings

Mourinhos signings have been a success. I’m out in the pub but from the top of my head

Ibra
Bailly
Pogba
Lindelof
Sanchez
Lukaku
Fred
Dalot
Matic

2 can’t be judged. 1 has been here 6 months and can’t be judged yet. You could argue a failure in Lindelof. The rest a success.

A better strike rate than Moyes And LVG and if you look at it objectively probably Fergie who signed many duds too.

I am not trying to put these players down because I like them. I guess I wouldn't call them failures but they haven't been raving succeses either. Lukaku scored less goals for United than in his 3 seasons at Everton. Pogba has been criticised by both fans and critics alike. Bailly has potential but is still raw. Jose should be able to improve these players really.

I’m not sure if you mean Lukaku scored more goals for Everton in 3 seasons that he has for us in 1 or you’re just incorrect. This year was Lukaku’s highest goals scored of his career.

Pogba has been criticised but I think we all I agree that’s unfairly and a bandwagon started by Souness.

Bailly is by far our best defender.

I mean the Glazer ownership has taken over £1bn out of the club in 13 years that’s not healthy when you are trying to compete with the worlds top sides who spend every spare penny on building a successful football team. It’s not their money being spent every summer it’s the clubs money.

Woodward inherited a club structure built around the greatness of 1 man and he was now gone he’s had to learn on the job and he’s made mistakes over the last 5 years allowed himself to be mislead and manipulated by agents looking to secure new contracts. He doesn’t have people who understand this murky world giving him good advice he needs to get this in place if he wants the club to succeed on the pitch.

He’s given Jose what he wants most of the time hopefully the club get a few more deals done but the scouting needs to be better the club can’t afford any misses not everything needs to be a hit if we want to get closer to the title.

However, our owners only care about the bottom line and they know top 4 keeps that bottom line healthy so as long as that level is maintained they are happy.

I’m not sure if you mean Lukaku scored more goals for Everton in 3 seasons that he has for us in 1 or you’re just incorrect. This year was Lukaku’s highest goals scored of his career.

Lukuka has been misused by Mourinho. He is better than just a target man centre forward.

Pogba has been criticised but I think we all I agree that’s unfairly and a bandwagon started by Souness.

Some of the criticism has been justified. Pogba has underperformed for United.

Bailly is by far our best defender.

Bailly is overrated. Blood and thunder defending shouldn’t be confused with understanding the art of defending. He is a player who has potential. The current version is rash, with poor positional sense and he has the knack of misjudging the flight of crosses causing him to mistime leaps for headers. His mistakes tend to be ignored because he is a fan favourite. The aforementioned weakness will hopefully be eradicated in time through experience.

My apologies I was really talking about league games where the number of games played and the opposition is comparable.

Ibra
Bailly
Pogba
Lindelof
Sanchez
Lukaku
Fred
Dalot
Matic

Umm Bailly isn't a successful signing yet. Long way to go before he can be declared that. He's a good player who could be really good but not so far.

Pogba for United has underwhelmed, because of the manager. And I don't believe he was a Jose signing. That was the club showing we can still sign top players for top money.

Lindelof has not been a good signing at all and the rest are to be determined.

Oh and Ibra was already here wasn't he? Thought he was here under LVG?

Ibra came in with Jose, Rich.

He was definitely a good signing. Lukaku has been a very good signing so far although there is room for improvement but I think he needs better service. He was running a lone furrow for a lot of last season.

For £30m a pop, Bailly and Lindelof have not been successes yet. Sanchez also was poor in terms of what he is capable of but he will get better no doubt.

Pogba well, he’s been inconsistent as hell.

Ibra arrived under Jose.

In terms of how I’d rank them I think we’ve only seen the best out of 3 of them on a regular basis for various reasons either losses in form or injury.

hits - Ibra, Lukaku, Matic,
Jury’s Out - Sanchez, Bailly, Pogba
Misses - Mkhitaryan, Lindelof

To early to judge - Dalot, Fred, Grant

I’d say jury is out on Bailly because of the injuries and the fact Mourinho didn’t put him in for the run in he clearly has concerns about him even though we all agree the potential is there. Lindelof has to go down as a miss currently a £30m centre back he didn’t trust to play regularly ahead of CBs he clearly didn’t rate but again he’s got time to change people’s mind.

Pogba I think has been more good than bad but when you cost £90m you are going to have to meet impossibly high standards that I don’t think he’s done that on a regular enough basis but I think he needs to be surrounded by top players to be at his best he’s not a guy who makes average players better.

Bit harsh on Lindelof top say he is a miss after 1 season. I'd be moving him to the Jury's Out list.

Bailly is being criticized and he is our best CB which says it all really and reflects why our style was so negative.

Lindeloff i think us being written off prematurely, for me he is our best CB and I hope he proves it this year.

And lukaku, he is just a target man, he has no first touch or vision

I think Lindelof needs a good run of games, so does Shaw, so does Martial. Jose should give them 10 games to prove themselves. In 10 games your going to get an idea if progression is being made or now. After all, he persevered with Sanchez for more games than that!

I think most want to watch decent football first. If trophies come it's a bonus. That's where 3 negative managers have dragged us down to I'm afraid.

And lukaku, he is just a target man, he has no first touch or vision
Very harsh. Granted his first touch isn’t always on point but it’s not like he loses it every time. He has good hold up play and gives us a physical presence which we have lacked.

Also no vision? Some of his crossing for us last season was top drawer and along with Young is probably our best crosser of the ball.

Yes he has his flaws but they are most certainly outweighed by his strengths.

Following on that argument, I have said it umpteen times, if Young was RB or RM we'd have a Lukaku getting a decent supply from decent crosses. We'd have an extra 5-10 goals a season from it. Give Shaw a run at LB ffs

Bit harsh on Lindelof top say he is a miss after 1 season. I'd be moving him to the Jury's Out list.

I did explain my reasoning despite being a Mourinho signing and being injury free he never had the managers faith and got a run in the team was clearly 5th choice out of the 5 CBs last season when all were fit. I can see the potential but he needs to learn to handle the physical side of the game if he can’t he won’t last as last season he allowed himself to be pushed around to easily.

I think based on the full season currently you have to say miss but not suggesting we bin him and get rid deserves a second season but I’d say he’s facing an uphill battle especially if a new guy comes in. He’ll be fighting with Bailly and whoever stays to be the partner for the new guy as Mourinho I think is going for a signing who’ll be his nailed on number 1

Bailly is being criticized and he is our best CB which says it all really and reflects why our style was so negative

If Bailly is United's best centre back, why did other centre backs start ahead of him when he was available towards the end of the season?

Lindeloff i think us being written off prematurely, for me he is our best CB and I hope he proves it this year.

Why do you think Lindelof is United's best centre back?

I think we were all a bit confused with Jose dropping Bailly last season. There were reports of an argument and Mourinho himself amusingly put it down to wanting to help his other defenders get minutes so they could impress their international managers and make their world cup squads.

I think lindelof is easily our best CB but just not shown it at United. I hope he gets a run of games to establish himself and get confidence. He is a great tackler, reads the game well but is brilliant on the ball and can really pick a pass

It won't be entirely his fault but to absolve him of blame is wrong. As the manager he needs to get the most out of the players he has and he's failed to do that plain and simple. I'm absolutely sure other managers would have been able to get more out of the players he has, certainly the attacking managers.
This. He has a club record signing forward, a British record CM and an experienced wide forward in Sanchez coupled with a league winner in Matic. If Jose was more positive he'd get more from this side.

This. He has a club record signing forward, a British record CM and an experienced wide forward in Sanchez coupled with a league winner in Matic. If Jose was more positive he'd get more from this side.

Absolutely... I'm sorry but Rashford Martial, Mata and others are better players than they've shown in this system under Jose.

Absolutely... I'm sorry but Rashford Martial, Mata and others are better players than they've shown in this system under Jose.
Yeah true - we have solid top 3 team and potential CL quarter finalists, if only we played to our strengths! We have average CBs but we play a system that exposes them to constant attacks. When we hit a brick wall during the season we don't utilize youth but would rather play experienced players out of position resulting in an uncoordinated team.

We play a system to suit our defence. We play deeper because Jose doesn't trust our CB's and our full backs can't get up and down the wings for 90 minutes.

We play a system to suit our defence. We play deeper because Jose doesn't trust our CB's and our full backs can't get up and down the wings for 90 minutes.
And they still concede whilst you'd have stiffled your own attack. Look at the Sevilla home game or the FA Cup final, concede shit goals whilst playing defensively all the same ends up costing you major honors.

Surely the FA Cup final is the wrong game to use to highlight your point. We didn't sit back at all? Chelsea goal came on the counter and highlights how inept our CB's are when we don't play with the protection they need. Jonesy making a foolish mistake to hand them a penalty. In the game we had something like 70% possession and three times more shots. Their defender got motm.

Not true. Mourinho is a negative minded manager who sets up his teams to defend in deep positions and looks to play counter attacking football. He will set up his team in the same manner regardless of personnel. He’s a back foot manager.

Jose is a more defensively minded coach but I don’t think that’s the be all and end all of his philosophy. Trust me I don’t like how we play and we crave a more attacking style but I think our defence worries Jose which means he wants to be tight rather than swash buckling.

When he first came over to Chelsea, their defence was awesome so he had faith that they would shut the door even if they were full on attack. At Inter they were top scorers in the league more often than not, he got Madrid to score 100 plus goals a season. Given the right personnel I think he can be a more attacking coach but I think our defence stops that. Obviously this is partly Jose’s fault because he has no idea what his best defence is and I don’t think anyone does really. He has tinkered between 3-5-2 and other formations, he has converted wingers at wing back. I think if he opens up then our defence can get slaughtered, even against the mid table clubs because every team now has players that can hurt you.

The criticism of Jose isn’t always warranted, sometimes it is but I wouldn’t put it against Jose leading us to more success this season. And hell we are better than we were now than under LVG and Moyes. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Not true. Mourinho is a negative minded manager who sets up his teams to defend in deep positions and looks to play counter attacking football. He will set up his team in the same manner regardless of personnel. He’s a back foot manager.

Simply incorrect. His Real Madrid side set the record for goals scored in a La Liga season. He may be defensive in big games but there certainly more than that.

His Chelsea side with Essien Lampard Ballack Duff Robbin Drogba was certainly an attacking and exciting side to watch. Taught us lessons a few times.

I think the fact that people can’t agree to who the best CB is and none of them can 100% nail down the starting spot means that they’re all much of the same really all have strengths and all have weaknesses. I don’t think top clubs would be battering our door down if we put them all up for sale at reasonable prices as none have them have proven that they are A grade talent.

Lindelof can’t handle the high ball
Bailly rash in the tackle
Smalling switches off when marking quite a bit and weak in possession
Jones makes comedy errors and is made of glass
Rojo gets exposed by pace and walks a thin line with those 2 footed tackles he likes

Put it simply they’re all players who playing regularly can get you top 4 and win the Europa League but they’re not going to win you the title or the CL which is what a club with our budget should be competing for. Basically all 5 of them owe a lot to De Gea for the last 5 seasons because if we didn’t have him our defence probably would’ve been changed by now.

Bailly & Lindelof have been purchased thinking long term but over the next 2 years the other 3 need to be upgraded and replaced with 2 better CBs. If Bailly or Lindelof step up and become world class you can make a case for keeping Smalling as a HG player in a squad role.

Real Madrid were a counter attacking team, a great one at that. They got the ball from back to front very quickly. Mourinho simply hasn’t got us doing that yet, it’s the opposite. For me it’s due to ageing full backs who lack drive forward and our midfielders holding on to the ball for too long, both Matic and Pogba are guilty of this, they like to run with it and get into physical battles while on the ball when it’s easier and quicker to pass it first touch or second touch. Fred likes to run with it too but on first glance he seemed to know when to do that and when to pass and maybe that’s because he knows he probably won’t win the physical battle like Pogba and Matic. Doubts still remain over Pereira but the reason I like him is because he is different from the others, he prefers to pass the ball like Scholes and Carrick. And I hope Fred is more like that too. The 2 of them will hopefully add a lot to the play this season. And I hope Carrick on the coaching staff can have an influence on the others too.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back