Anyone else concerned with the lack of transfer activity?

Red Warrior

I know the WC has just finished and there aren't too many teams making big waves but we surely need to be having some movement.

I've heard that Jose is happy going into this campaign with Young at LB and that just shows to me that his desire to win has gone. Every supported in the country will tell you Young doesn't cut it there. Every team we play targets him as the weak link.

What is going on?

jsp

I think a lot of clubs are struggling because of the world cup and the new shortened window making it hard to sign/sell players, I'm starting to wonder if they regret changing those rules. A lot of clubs have been quiet only Liverpool, Arsenal & West Ham seem to be making big changes most other sides are very quiet but I think it'll go made for the next 3 weeks now the world cup is over and as normal one big move will trigger a ripple effect.

Utd need to sell before they can buy so far no one has left and only Blind is immenently departing. The only stories in the papers recently regarding a departure was Shaw turning down Everton so if he's staying then we can't sign a left back as the club isn't a bottomless money pit.

I think 2 more will come in my guess is they're waiting on Bale if he decides he wants to leave Madrid then we'll get him but Utd need to put a deadline on that to give themselves enough time to switch to plan B if he gets cold feet. Same with players like Sandro or Alderwiereld if Shaw isn't going then I don't think we can bring in Sandro and if we can't move on any of the current CB's then we can't bring in another one.

Fellaini's new deal closed the door on any other midfield signings and talk of a striker has gone very quiet.

That said is this the calm before the storm?

Red Warrior

I don't think it's a case of selling before we buy. If anything we will buy then sell, sell, sell and unload a good few player. No point selling before buying in case targets don't come in.

Mr C

We need to sell first, but not becasue of finances, the squad is just too big. Or would be too big with more signings.

jsp

You only have 25 spaces in a squad and you have to comply with FFP restrictions the club can't assume that after buying they will be able to sell because as far as we know there's been little to no interest in the players we might want to sell this summer.

I imagine Utd are pretty close to that 25 man limit right now so unless they're prepared to sit players in the U23 for the season they have to get players out and from an FFP point of view we can't be in good health given we don't have many big sales to balance off against the big buys in recent seasons most of that balancing will be done from commercial deals. You also have to remember our owners are in it for the money not for the love so there are budgets that need to be stuck to and anyone that knows anything about these guys will know they won't spend a penny more than they have to.

Think of it like cars you have to sell your car before you can buy another one. You might find the car you want but you can't buy it until you've sold the one you own and at that point someone might pull out of the deal as they can't wait for you forever.

My worry is this summer like last summer we won't be able to get all the business we want done because we can't move players out either because the manager and club can't agree which ones need to be sold, the players they do agree on don't want to leave or the type of offers coming in aren't what we want. Last summer we only shifted Januzaj and Rooney but we should've at least moved on Blind & Darmian but couldn't.

As always we feed on speculation most of which is probably garbage, the manager has been through the list of targets with the board and it sits with them now his focus needs to be on preparing the team physically and tactically over the next few weeks.

My guess is all the clubs in Europe are prepared to wait until after the PL deadline to try and pick up prem players on the cheap so it's become a real game of bluff. I really think all the clubs have shot themselves in the foot for at least 1 season if they other leagues don't follow our lead and change it next season I think we'll go back to the old system next summer. Could they have a hybrid where they say domestic deals have to be done before season starts but you can still buy outside of England after deadline?

We’ve managed to nail down Fellaini for two more years, whatever happens this summer I would say it’s been a win!

It’s a little concerning but 3 weeks is a long time and we could well bring in another 1 or 2. I think it was stupid to enforce these changes in a World Cup year, as players are off and international managers will insist they focus solely on the WC, this means that deals are held up and have to be rushed through.

Like was mentioned above, only a few clubs have made real waves so far but now the WC is done I think it’ll hot up. I imagine there will be a few deadline day like days where clubs are scrambling to make signings.

IDFD

Lets look at our squad

GK

De Gea
Romero
Grant (HG)

DF

Lindelof
Bailly
Jones (HG)
Rojo
Smalling (HG)
Young (HG)
Shaw (HG)
Valencia
Darmian

MF

Pogba (HG)
Mata
Lingard (HG)
Periera (HG)
Herrera
Fellaini
Matic
McTominay (HG) (Will miss out on the U21 list by 8 days)
Fred

ST

Sanchez
Lukaku
Martial

U21

Fosu Mensah
Tunazebe
Dalot
Rashford

So unless i've missed out on someone we only have 1 space available for someone to come in. We have left ourselves with very little wiggle room.

Also you can see why we haven't let Shaw Jones Smalling Young move on. We are on the limit for HG players.

JSNFRMN

All beginning to point to Mourinho being pissed off and a bad season. Shifting players is definitely a problem. Blind is going/gone. Darmian needs to go. Mata/Martial still possibilities. And then maybe one of the CB's, Rojo?

jsp

You haven't included Blind but he's basically out the door so as you say we've got 1 spot available for an over 21 player unless we're prepared to sit people in the reserves, as they can't even be named in match day squads.

Am I right in saying you can only name 17 non home grown players in your squad? You don't have to name 8 HG players you are just limited to the number of non HG players you can name. I assume McTominay counts as HG?

Looking at that list Rojo & Darmian need to go.

This is the legacy of years of bad investment that started under Fergie and continued to many average players signed and the guys signed to replace them couldn’t cut it either.

Might take another year to sort it but not sure fans have got patience for a 6th season with no title challenge.

IDFD

Sorry you’re correct. McTominay will be home grown.

Yeah it’s 17 players plus home grown players

jsp

I mean seeing that squad list written down on paper makes me shudder really lacks top class quality.

I don't think fans of other clubs are looking at that list thinking I wish these lot played for us.

Mr C

I am worried we are holding too much court on Bale

and I agree, that squad is poor, could be another tough season. We could start a decent 11, but struggle after that. Still no news on the De Gea deal :-(n they also need to sort out Pogba to stop all the unsettling rumours. It's a bit like offer him a new deal or sell him and move on quickly.

IDFD

If we can get them to click the starting 11 is fantastic on paper. Just missing 2 full backs.

I really hope Rashford just focuses on being a right winger for us. I know JSP doesn't like the moving players from their natural position but I think he's got all the qualities for it.

Red Warrior

I'm sure there will be a few decent players incoming. We just can't go into the season as we were.

I was actually thinking only yesterday @IDFD that I just wish Jose would put Sanchez or Rash on the right and have Martial on the left. That way we have one less position to worry about and a few extra $$$ to buy elsewhere. Still think we need need another cm and a cb. If Shaw wont leave maybe we have our hands tied with the lb position and that's why he wont buy another lb though I think Young could so a job at rw and also rb so he could shift sides easily as it suits him so much better.

JSNFRMN

If we don't bring anyone in, we have to put Sanchez on the right. If we're going to have Pogba playing that side of a midfield 3, we need Martial or Rashford starting wide and high, Sanchez too central and deep last season. Him and Pogba playing on top of each other, basically marking each other out of the game.

jsp

If we can get them to click the starting 11 is fantastic on paper. Just missing 2 full backs.

I really hope Rashford just focuses on being a right winger for us. I know JSP doesn't like the moving players from their natural position but I think he's got all the qualities for it.
Think our best XI is missing top class players at RB, LB, CB and RW if I'm being brutally honest. Bailly & Lindelof might be top class at some point but they haven't really proven it yet in a Utd shirt.

Got no problem with players already at the club learning a new position I have a problem with signing players then trying to fit them into a position they don't normally play to me that's just bad scouting.

If they want to put faith in Rashford as a right sided attacker then give him a proper run of games and coach him on the role don't just dip him in and out of it which is what we've been doing at times. I personally don't think it suits him as a player because he wants to score rather than create but I think he's smart enough to learn it.

I agree that if Jose really has the faith in Rashford then he needs to play him week in week out. For his development this would help no end.

I tend to agree with jsp that it potentially doesn’t suit him because I think he’ll want to be the main man up top at some stage. However if you can coach him how to play on the right then I think he could be great there. Playing him in the odd game there isn’t going to help one iota.

Red Warrior

Completely agreed with all that. We have the players but too many in one position. Something has to give and I think it should be Sanchez to play right, it's not like he hasn't done it before and he is good there. He can't be much worse than on the left as, IMO, he was pretty dire there last season no matter what people say about his MOTM appearances. As said above, all Sanchez does is come centre, get in the way of Pogba and whoever else is there. We need width!

jsp

There's just to many players you have to make excuses for because they're always injured or saying he's got potential or he's playing out of position or he doesn't fit the manager or on his day blah blah blah. Not enough perform to a consistently high level game after game after game which is what the top players do.

That squad is a complete mess when you lay it out on paper it's been assembled with no plan for going on 5 years as we've flip flopped on managers. Moyes deviated from the Fergie plan, Van Gaal for the Moyes plan then Mourinho from the Van Gaal plan and I think even Mourinho at times has been scrambling around possibly because he's realised the job is bigger than he thought it was.

He clearly started building a squad to play 4-2-3-1 now he seems to be going 4-3-3 I don't think that's really effected him because the number 10's he's had Rooney, Mkhitaryan and Mata have all kind of been phased out in the last 2 years it seems if we play that system it's more likely to be Sanchez or Lingard a more high energy player in that position.

I think he's had to comprimise at times because he doesn't have a bottomless pit of money Valencia/Young as full backs are short term solutions, Fellaini's new contract is short term, Zlatan was short term he's had to firefight his way through the mess that he was left but it just needs sorting we can't keep holding on to players for the sake of it. Clear out the guys who need to go and if we have to have a season where we gamble on kids for a year then so be it but someone needs to get a grip on this and it shouldn't be the manager it needs a strategy at board level to stop this happening again there's a reason nearly every other club has taken this responsibility away from the manager.

JSNFRMN

Apart from Liverpool. None of the big clubs have done truly good business. Closing the transfer window early in a World Cup summer was a totally bad idea.

jsp

Apart from Liverpool. None of the big clubs have done truly good business. Closing the transfer window early in a World Cup summer was a totally bad idea.
Arsenal have signed 5 players. Leno, Liechstiener, Terriera, Papastaphopolos & some young French kid plus they obviously got in Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan in January so I think they've had a good summer too.

Spurs have done nothing yet, Chelsea signed 1 CM & City signed Mahrez but I guess for City they didn't really need to do a lot because they're so far ahead already in terms of the teams playing catch up only Liverpool & Arsenal so far have really pushed the boat out.

I think it's just going to be a mad 3 weeks can't see teams sticking rather than twisting previous seasons deadline day has been a bit of a non event but this year I can see it being a mad trolley dash.

Closing the window 3 weeks before the rest of Europe was a ridiculous idea and doing it in a world cup year was even more stupid.

JSNFRMN

"Big clubs" ;) No I think Leno and Torreira are good signings, others a bit strange. Aubameyang an excellent signing.

jsp

"Big clubs" ;) No I think Leno and Torreira are good signings, others a bit strange. Aubameyang an excellent signing.
Think on paper they make sense bit of experience and in the case of Leichstiener an expert in the dark arts to school the younger guys.

Good to know Jose, cheers.

Also from his press conference, Dalot is injured and won’t be ready until September.

Optimistic for the new season? .... yeah me neither.

boothstownred

Tbh he looked depressed already. I suspect there will be signings but he was keeping his cards close to his chest. He seemed pretty down about the players that are unavailable, the failure to get Alexis out, and even moving the opening fixture to Friday. I can't say I am full of confidence but I am looking forward to see some of the younger players and hopefully kieren McKenna having an influence on the playing style.

Red Warrior

Jose is so dour and depressing anyway. He's not gonna let a thing away. Things are going on behind the scenes. Watch this space....

jsp

That suggests there’s either no more money or he’s trying to shift blame to the board for not getting deals done.

Just feels like we are stuck with the players we have and he’ll have to make the most of what we’ve got.

If we start next season minus Blind, Zlatan, Mkhitaryan & Carrick plus Sanchez, Dalot & Fred are we any stronger than we started last season?

boothstownred

I would say slightly but nowhere near enough. I was looking at a real clearout this season. 8 or 9 out and 4 or 5 in. Yes that's a lot for 1 transfer window but that is what it will take.

Mr C

I don't think there us much around at the moment, especially that is value. Perisic at 100m, I don't think so, Savic 150m and do we really need them. What we need is a right sided player. The CB situation is a litle worrying, I assume Alderwerield will come in. We bought a right back, and maybe he is giving Shaw a chance?

In the positions we need filling, not a lot around. I wouldnt be over the moon if Perisic came in, at 29 I think he's too old for that fee.

Thiago I'd be interested in but it seems he is Barca bound

IDFD

Blind Zlatan and Carrick offered nothing to us last season. I’d say we’re slightly stronger but also we are another year in to the development of Rashford. These players have had 6 months with eachother and Pogba should be coming back on a high.

If we sign a RB and a CB I’ll be happy. Don’t mind starting the season with Shaw at LB. unsure on Dalot and Valencia is done and think going forwards we should have enough about us just about Jose choosing a player and say you’re olaying RW this season.

Red Warrior

We've got absolutely zero chance of signing a RB after he bought Dalot in.

The Shaw situation just seems like groundhog day again, same as last summer. Everybody wanting him to kick on and make the position his own for him to fail for whatever reason now Young has made the position his. I really have to question Jose playing Young there.

I think Thiago would be a good buy and I'd like Peresic after what I have seen of him but we have too many that want to play left already. And who cares how much money each player costs? Its not our money. Football has gone mad and we have to accept that.

I still cant accept that Woodward has accomplished nothing this close season, he WILL pull something out the bag

Mr C

I really have to question Jose playing Young there.
I think we need a new LB and Shaw shoUld be given a chance, don't get me wrong. But I don't think you can question Jose about playing Young there, he did well last season and I believe FIFA chose him in their world cup team. It was actually a good piece of work from Jose given the squad we had.

The problem is united don't have good enough CB's to cover Youngs defensive frailties

jsp

Why the panic? Min 2 players will be coming in
For 2 to come in 2 have to go out as the squad is at it's limit. The reports are we need to sell Shaw to bring in a left back and we'll need to sell a centre back to bring in another player there but none of our players seem to want to leave a lot of players just happy being squad players at Utd.

We've ended up with a massive squad with a lot of average players earning to much money and as a result it's hard to get rid of them. Utd did a great job getting what they did for Blind but unless others also go there just isn't room in the 25 man squad for new players.

Mourinho's comments in the press conference suggests he's worried and getting an excuse in early as he likes to do.

Before the World Cup there seemed to be plenty of buzz about transfers but it's all gone very quiet as I think clubs are just asking for to much money.