1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antonio Valencia | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sideshow Bob, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

[​IMG]
    Antonio Valencia Statistics 2017/18

Appearances

Total 4
    Premier League 3
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 1

Goals
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Assists
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Clean Sheets
    Total 3
    Premier League 3
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Yellow Cards
    Total 1
    Premier League 1
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Red Cards
    Total 0
    Premier League 0
    FA Cup 0
    League Cup 0
    Champions League 0
    Super Cup 0

Previous Seasons
    Antonio Valencia | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Antonio Valencia | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Antonio Valencia | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
    Antonio Valencia | Match Discussion thread 2013/14
    Luis Antonio Valencia

2. Sideshow Bob

Pre Season: Real Salt Lake 1-2 Manchester United - 17th July 2017

3. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Everton - 17th September 2017

4. Sideshow Bob

5. maxt7

maxt7 Well-Known Member

Purely for a selfish reason I'd like to see Valencia hang up his boots internationally now. Only to keep his performances levels at our club as high as they've been the last 18 months-2 years. His been nothing short of fantastic for us lately. Given that Ecuador aren't going to the World Cup. Given the travelling it takes to get to and from the South American matches. And given his 32 years old it's bound to sooner or later affect his United performances.

Like I said it's selfish of me. But I'm a United fan over an Ecuador fan. What's everyone else think?

6. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think Utd have to start planning for life after Valencia in terms of a right back over the next 18 months but him retiring from internationals would help us but I don't see him doing it. The South Americans don't tend to retire from internationals as they love playing for their country.

7. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Arsenal v Manchester United - 2nd December 2017

8. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Antonio Valencia says Manchester United have a duty to fight for the Premier League title

Not sure I've ever heard this guy speak I know despite his 10 years in England his English isn't the best which makes him an odd choice for captain but I think Mourinho prefers a guy who leads by example rather than mouths off. He's seen how guys like Terry or Ramos can create problems for managers when they feel as captains they can challenge the manager.

I like Tony V but I think this summer we possibly need to look at a new right back as well as a left back not saying we need to put Tony V out to stud but I think we could do with younger blood at full back on both sides as Valencia doesn't have the engine to be up and down he definitely picks his moments to attack.

9. maxt7

maxt7 Well-Known Member

I agree with JSP on this. I’d like to see us go out and get a new right back this summer. What would be ideal is if Valencia could stick around for a few more seasons and guide the next right back into the Man united set up. Sort of like what Evra could have done with Shaw.

I’ve spoke before about wanting Valencia to retire from internationals but he clearly loves going over there even at his age. Another right back would help burden that pressure of having to get Valencia ready for the weekend after the international fixtures, especially given the fact he arrives back later then most because of the travelling.

10. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

South American players rarely retire they’re fiercely patriotic and its also a good chance to get home and be with your people and family when you spend most of the year so far away. These boys often fly half way around the world with an injury just to play friendlies you hear a lot say they play in Europe for the money but they play internationals for the love of the game.

Agree keep him around but need a younger first choice who’s just coming into his peak.

11. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 3-0 Stoke City - 15th January 2018

Left foot!