Antonio Conte at Chelsea 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Thread for discussions on Antonio Conte and Chelsea in 2017/18.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-3 Burnley - 12th August 2017

Played 1
Wins 0
Draws 0
Defeats 1

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Chelsea - 20th August 2017

Played 2
Wins 1
Draws 0
Defeats 1

Premier League: Chelsea 2-0 Everton - 27th August 2017

Played 3
Wins 2
Draws 0
Defeats 1

Chelsea's summer: Alvaro Morata, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Antonio Rudiger, Willy Caballero, Danny Drinkwater, Davide Zappacosta.

On paper that's pretty good stuff and Christensen who's come back from Monchengladbach looks like he will stay at the club this season but it looks like the outs will be Begovic, Terry, Zouma (loan), Matic & Diego Costa. That's only the first team players from last season obviously been huge turnover of young players.

It must worry Chelsea fans that Ox, Barkley and Llorente all turned them down in the space of 24 hours? Especially Llorente. His played for Conte before. To not push the move on and join Spurs must be a slap in the face for the Italian. Conte has to take some serious slack for how his handled the Costa situation and if he doesn't sell him today his got to go cap in hand back to Diego. Drinkwater and this Zappacosta aren't gonna cheer their fans up. I mean what is a Zappacosta? Selling Matic to us. Terrible window for Chelsea in my eyes.

I'm guessing similar to a whack-a-mole at arcade, only this one involves Diego Costa and an electrocuting stick.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was just about to order one in Costa coffee would have looked a right fool.

It must worry Chelsea fans that Ox, Barkley and Llorente all turned them down in the space of 24 hours? Especially Llorente. His played for Conte before. To not push the move on and join Spurs must be a slap in the face for the Italian. Conte has to take some serious slack for how his handled the Costa situation and if he doesn't sell him today his got to go cap in hand back to Diego. Drinkwater and this Zappacosta aren't gonna cheer their fans up. I mean what is a Zappacosta? Selling Matic to us. Terrible window for Chelsea in my eyes.

It's got to be money I don't think Chelsea were offering huge wages to these players as they were signing as squad players rather than first team players.

I guess with Morata, Costa, Bashwari (I don't know how to spell his name) they couldn't take the wages of a 3rd striker.

They clearly wanted Ox as a wing back and to be fair they've probably made a smart choice and signed an actual wing back to do that job.

It'll probably settle down but if results are bad when they return from internationals you could see a huge bust up coming and Conte being sacked as it's clear Conte and the club are pulling in different directions. I think he was ready to walk in the summer but they gave him a new contract with more money to make him stay.

Premier League: Leicester City 1-2 Chelsea - 9th September 2017

Played 4
Won 3
Drawn 0
Lost 1

Premier League: Stoke City 0-4 Chelsea - 23rd September 2017

Played 6
Won 4
Drawn 1
Lost 1
Points 13

Premier League: Chelsea 0-1 Manchester City - 30th September 2017

Why when Morata came off injured didn't he go Michy? And people moan at Jose for being too defensive! Terrible decision. They didn't have a focal point and had nothing to aim at and build from up top.

It's clear he doesn't really rate him think he sees him as an impact sub.

Their midfield was a mess yesterday couldn't lay a glove on City and couldn't get the ball to Hazard enough.

Conte looking to leave Chelsea at end of season - reports - Football365

Seen a few journalists reporting this will be his last season in England and will likely take over one of the Milan clubs next season.

He can't really complain about money Chelsea are still spending big bucks every summer but they do have to sell players to balance the books. Rudiger, Zapacosta, Bakayoko, Drinkwater & Morata all came in for big fees in the summer.

Premier League: Crystal Palace 2-1 Chelsea - 14th October 2017

Played 8
Won 4
Drawn 1
Lost 3
Points 13

Premier League: Bournemouth 0-1 Chelsea - 28th October 2017

Played 10
Won 6
Drawn 1
Lost 3
Points 19

Premier League: West Bromwich Albion 0-4 Chelsea - 18th November 2017

Played 12
Won 8
Drawn 1
Lost 3
Points 25
Goals For 23
Goals Against 10

They finally seem to have their rythym back after a few injuries at the start of the season.

If they want to retain that title they’re going to need another run like last season where they won something mad like 11 in a row.

Premier League: West Ham United 1-0 Chelsea - 9th December 2017

Played 16
Won 10
Drawn 2
Lost 4
Points 32
Goals For 28
Goals Against 13

In talks with Everton over Barkley apparently

Think this is Chelsea looking at making a quick buck buy for 15 sell for 30 in 18 months.

He does give them something different which is goals from midfield as Bakayoko while energetic in getting beyond the strikers is a poor finisher whereas Barkley will take on shots from around the box.

The 3-5-2 system really suits him bolting on to that left side of the 3 in midfield with freedom to go forward.

I never really had Barkley down as a goal scorer really. Never really paid much attention though.

i don’t think he’s a consistent goal scorer but he takes on shots from outside the box which they don’t really have with other midfielders which means defenders have to come out to close you down and that leaves space behind.

I think they’ll be looking for him to be the guy who arrives in the box or runs in behind the striker from deep like Bakayoko does but with more end product as it doesn’t seem like Bakayoko really suits that role but he’s being asked to do it.

Had his medical, could be confirmed today

Conte has just confirmed in the presser that there is a deal on the table and that the signing is one made by the club and not him.

Pretty sure every deal at Chelsea is done by club not him it’s how they’re set up as a club the manager doesn’t control signings they have a recruitment team who buy players they think fit the Chelsea profile.

Pretty sure Conte won’t be there next season so not sure they’d buy players for him in January especially when the league is gone and they probably think they’ve got enough for top 4 finish already.

There seems to be talk that this is the thing that frustrates Conte a lot the club won’t sign players he wants possibly because they don’t fit the club profile.

Sounds about right. I think that was his main bugbear at the start of the season that the club didn’t buy the players he wanted. So he may as well go. But it brings to fore the point whether a clubs transfer policy should be adapted to a manager or should it remain rigid as managers are apt to leave a club in a few years.

read today that Simeone is a shoe in for next summer.

Simeone would appear to be the perfect fit for Chelsea but his English isn’t great and it seems like he’s committed to trying to rebuild Atletico Madrid as this summer the talk is they’re going to start replacing some of the ageing players who’s time might be up. The reports in Spain are he’s very happy at Atletico and not interested in the move.

Be interesting to see where they go, Tuchel is still out of work, could they try to tempt Allegri or Spalletti from Serie A with bigger salaries or maybe even go back to Ancelotti.

Premier League: Watford 4-1 Chelsea - 5th February 2018

Played 26
Wins 15
Draws 5
Lost 6
Points 50
Goals For 46
Goals Against 23

Wheels well and truly off. Shame Mourinho won't be able to see him off himself at the end of the month.

Can feel an SOS to guus hiddink coming on again....

Ancelloti is out of work as well.

The whole thing seems to have imploded there again which for the board must be a concern but when you know title winning managers can be sacked it must give the players excuses and lose their focus then the new guy comes in and suddenly they’re all back on their games.

Seems the modern way now and everything at Chelsea is geared up for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back