Sideshow Bob

Antoine Griezmann wants to play alongside Paul Pogba at club level

Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann says he would like to play alongside France team-mate Paul Pogba at club level in the future.

The 25-year-old former Real Sociedad forward and the Manchester United midfielder have posted a number of photographs together on social media recently as a sign of their friendship.

Griezmann shared a photograph of himself and his compatriot Pogba on Twitter on Tuesday in which they were sat on the back of a golf buggy, with the caption: "End of the day, we go back to the Castle."

The pair are currently on international duty together ahead of Friday's World Cup Qualifier against Sweden at Stade de France.

Griezmann is a player in demand following his goalscoring exploits in Spanish football and at Euro 2016, and the presence of Pogba at Old Trafford may prove pivotal in a move to the Premier League for the Atleti man.

"I always ask Paul Pogba about Manchester United," Griezmann told Sky in Germany. "I think they are a huge club with a really good infrastructure.

"I ask Paul about some of the players, and if they're really that good, or if Jose Mourinho is really that good.

"You hear a lot of things [speculation] about Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain but right now I don't see me moving to a new club. But it would be awesome to play alongside Paul one day."

GriezmON! Promises to be the transfer saga of next summer, no doubts we will offer an absurd amount of money for him and would probably happen if Griezmann showed a willing to come. Would be an incredible signing to be fair, arguably more exciting than the Pogba one.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't go all in for him next summer. If that happens, I'd be surprised if we didn't get him.

No doubt he would be an exciting addition to the team...I think Rooney, Fellaini and possibly Memphis would have to move on with Zlatan, for that to happen though.

I'm not seeing a problem there... Well keep Zlatan for his experience and know how but you can push Rashford in to a striker position which is where he needs to be played.

Mourinho seemingly likes a big centre forward; where would Griezmann fit in the current set up? Or would his arrival mean a switch to 4-2-3-1?

Mourinho seemingly likes a big centre forward; where would Griezmann fit in the current set up? Or would his arrival mean a switch to 4-2-3-1?

On the right hand side of a front 3?! Could play as a false 9 I guess. One things for sure though I hope it doesn't mean a change to the system because that doesn't get the best out of Pogba.

Milito at Inter probably the odd one out in his strikers but then he was really good in the air too as well as being quick and dynamic. Big fan of Mkhitaryan but my hope after Ibra goes is a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Griezmann, all interchanging. Could be similar to Tevez, Rooney and Ronaldo, which we never really got to see play together in a 3. It would be a front 3 that if they all realise their potential would get us back up to the top of the game.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Simeone has apparently committed to stay next season and I think Griezmann will to I think he really like it at Atletico the only reason for selling would be if they have issues with the finances because of the stadium move and if that is the case then he will probably be sold.

Not sure Bayern will have enough £££ to enter this race though they've been reluctant to go to the £60-70m levels for players so far and Griezmann will be going for close to world record sums

Atletico wouldn't sell to Madrid. Does he make Barcas side? Please don't let him end up at City. A front 4 of

Griezemann Silva Sane

Jesus/Aguero

Is terrifying

ATLETI-GO
Elsewhere in the world of Manchester United transfer gossip, Mourinho is making plans. The Daily Star claim that he wants not one, but two Atletico Madrid players.

The first is obvious. Antoine Griezmann is his primary target, the forward rated at around £85million. I hope you’re excited to hear about the intricacies of that deal every day over the summer.

The second is perhaps less obvious, and is by no means assured to go through. That it depends on the future of David de Gea should tell you that the player in question is one Jan Oblak.

The claim is that Mourinho ‘has ordered regular scouting checks’ on the 24-year-old, just in case Real Madrid swoop for De Gea this summer. De Gea could move for around £65m; Oblak would be available for £40m. And he’s bloody good, so that would be a decent deal for United.

I don't think CL qualification is the issue with getting Griezmann to come the issue might be that without CL football we can't afford to meet his buyout clause and wages from an FFP point of view.

I think if Utd meet the buyout clause then it'll happen.

Seems positive that Griezmann is keen and winning tomorrow night will reinforce these positive thoughts. He's a world class performer and even though he would cost a bomb I think it'd be worth it for sure. There is always a risk that a new player coming to the league won't adapt (ala Di Maria) but it's a risk worth taking.

GriezmON? Now GriezmOFF?

Going to be one of those summers with Griezmann me thinks. Teasing us one minute then seemingly happy to stay at Atletico. What a rascal.

I don't think it's teasing he's probably being asked constantly about it by all sorts of different journalists obviously he can't really say anything until deals are done and it might be that he hasn't decided what he wants to do, which is probably more likely the situation.

If Utd are prepared to meet the release clause I think the deal will happen

Pogba: "watch this space"

Come on Ed, get it done otherwise Bayern will jump in and complete the deal in 30 minutes again.

Yeah Ed needs to be hot on this one, even if he has to pitch a tent outside the Atletico directors houses.

City have made a statement already and us securing Griezmann would blow the Bernardo Silva transfer out of the water.

So it's widely reported that he has a 100m euro release clause in his contract.

Do we think Utd will pay that or will we attempt to negotiate it down?

Just think 10 years ago £30m got you Fernando Torres at a similar age and profile in terms of ability in 10 years that figure has more than trebled. Even going back 5 years £40m got you Aguero now Griezmann I think works out at around £85m based on current exchange rates.

So someone has put the word out from the Utd end that we're no longer chasing Griezmann.

The suggestion is that following the injury to Zlatan Utd decided they needed to focus on signing a number 9 to replace Zlatan rather than a number 10 to play with him.

Might just be a case of cooling the speculation as it's a story that's gathered pace purely based on speculation and it might be that everyone is getting sick of being asked about it.

It might be as simple as with the Atletico ban being upheld they've said no way he goes this summer and Utd & Griezmann might have to wait another year for the deal to happen.

Seems it might have been agreed between the 2 clubs that if ban was upheld then we wouldn't go for him. Surely no coincidence that line was spun to all the journos shortly after the announcement of the Atletico ban.

Translation: "Now more then ever Atleti"

I'll be honest... I'm slightly confused by this! I mean OK sure the transfer ban being held up could be a deal breaker... But the reports are that we are targeting an out and out striker? Well Griezmann really never was that and surely that was the case before that we wanted a goal scorer?

I'll be honest... I'm slightly confused by this! I mean OK sure the transfer ban being held up could be a deal breaker... But the reports are that we are targeting an out and out striker? Well Griezmann really never was that and surely that was the case before that we wanted a goal scorer?

One of the stories was Griezmann was targeted to be the guy to play as the number 10 behind Zlatan who was going to be staying, he would replace Rooney effectively as Rooney was his number 10 at the start of the season.

When Zlatan got injured Utd cooled their interests as they realised they needed to buy a replacement out and out striker. Griezmann isn't really that guy.

Hard to tell what is actually going on as it's all kept under wraps but it seems with the transfer ban kicking in Griezman is staying where he is for at least 1 more season. Who knows he might have agreed that if he does 1 more year as a favour he gets a bonus or they'll let him go for less than his release clause next summer. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a new deal and that clause was reduced as part of it.

When Zlatan got injured Utd cooled their interests as they realised they needed to buy a replacement out and out striker. Griezmann isn't really that guy.

Which I could believe... Except why has it only just come out that we have cooled our interest? Ibra went down a number of weeks ago now so we've know the situation there for some time. Plus in the past day or so Ibra's agent has said he wants to stay?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back