Anthony Martial's future

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Kind of sums things up really Mourinho clearly had this kids attitude marked, Mourinho leaves club give him a new long term contract and now Ole has the same concerns Mourinho did.

I like Martial great talent but the club really had to back Mourinho over him but they're so desperate for these "kids" to do well.

Martial 4 seasons in still the same player he was when he arrived a moody winger who blows hot and cold another in the long line of players Utd have signed who just aren't progressing the environment at this club right now is terrible.

The way he's reacted since that contract if we could get Martial out then get him out but he's on stupid money where is he going to go?

Martial and Pogba need selling.

Club needs to get tough, and let the players know the standards they expect on and off the pitch.

Jose for DoF :-D

Don't see Martial going anywhere.

Rumours are his new deal was in the region of £200k a week no other club is going to pay that plus the stupid transfer fee we'd demand.

We are stuck with that kid and that's what he is a kid he needs to grow up but he won't because everything is being made to easy for him failure rewarded because we are in such a mess he's another in the long list who are taking the club for a ride post Fergie.

Far to many players signing new deals at a club that is under performing what does it really tell you about them?

Shows how much of a mess the club is in when you have these sorts of wages sat on the bench, not to mention Sanchez - my god his legs are made of play doh !

come 1st july we need a clear plan and that should follow with 5/6 signings and then bring a lot of the youth into the set up for next year, these guys will fight for the team, something that our current team dont look too fussed about doing.

Shows how much of a mess the club is in when you have these sorts of wages sat on the bench, not to mention Sanchez - my god his legs are made of play doh !

come 1st july we need a clear plan and that should follow with 5/6 signings and then bring a lot of the youth into the set up for next year, these guys will fight for the team, something that our current team dont look too fussed about doing.

Forget the 1st July that plan was needed 1st January as soon as the trigger was pulled on Mourinho the plan needed to be getting put in place.

They've clearly backed some of the existing squad Shaw, Martial, Young, Jones and Smalling all got new deals this season so they're going nowhere but the way Martial has reacted to his new deal has been disgusting.

He's another kid who's doubled his money at Utd like Shaw without doubling his output I know inflation in wages is responsible for some of that but Utd have lost their bottle to pull the trigger because Martial is popular with fans because some want to believe in the hype.

He really needs to sort his attitude our next season as he's not going anywhere maybe get rid of a few of these no hopers who've got no interest in being top players and fighting for titles might change that but this lad just hasn't got it mentally to deal with the pressure.

To me he looks like a kid who's already got everything he wanted out of the game it's made him a very rich and famous young man I don't see someone who wants to be the best player in the world he hasn't got the mental side of it and that isn't something you can teach.

I’d honestly have Martial gone. I’ve been saying it for a long time. People blamed Ibra coming. People blamed Sanchez coming. People blamed Mourinho. He’s someone people will make excuses for. The talent is there but the effort isn’t. As I said he hasn’t stepped forwards as a player one bit in the time he’s been here.

Has he improved in the time he has been a man united player ?

No he hasn't I don't think he's got any worse but all the flaws we saw in that first season are still there he just hasn't kicked on. I've always liked him because I see the talent but I do think Mourinho had marked this kids character and the club should have backed him in moving him on because Utd wasn't the place for him to develop these talents.

It's the same with Shaw, Pogba, Lukaku & Bailly all young(ish) players who came in with the hope of developing from good players into great players I don't think any of them have got better at the club. Utd have stopped developing players.

I think to develop young players you need a strong core team of experience around them to guide them and also look after then on and off the pitch teach them the right and wrong ways to do things. Utd don't have that we've never had such a lack of leaders in the club and I think that's hurting the younger players because they're the ones who are expected to make the difference.

Martial for me thinks he's better than he is because for his entire life football has been easy when it gets hard he doesn't fancy it and the people around him are quick to defend him so there's no repercussion of his actions.

I honestly don't think he cares if the team wins, loses or draws it doesn't bother him.

Has he improved in the time he has been a man united player ?
It’s a damn shame that he hasn’t progressed in his time here, in his first season I thought wow what a player we have. However, as time has gone on he has just regressed. A lot down to him but I don’t think Jose helped, he was in and out of the team like a yo-yo because of his insistence to rotate with Rashford. I think a Martial is one of those guys that needs to be playing game after game. Yes his attitude stinks at times but I think he’s here next season and I hope for his sake he can bring his A game because he’s skating on thin ice.

We need some proper pro's in that team to mentor the younger players.

Our young players have Pogba, no wonder is chaos there.

We should be keeping Herrera and getting rid of Pogba, but Woodward says no.

In my eyes Martial hasn't improved one bit since he joined the club. He's a talented player no doubt but he goes missing for long periods of time and in fact game after game.

I wouldn't say definitely sell him... But I wouldn't be disappointed if we did either.

I was his biggest critic but he is playing with a smile on his face these day. Maybe he has turned it around after all.
Ole deserves credit for this as well.

What a difference a year makes looking back at some of my posts I stand by what I said at the time but he's turned it around seems a lot more focused and is happy playing in the middle.

Is he a world class forward right now? Probably not but with Lukaku gone he's made that number 9 spot his and he needs to build on this year next season and see if he can push himself over 30 goals in all comps.

Still other areas of his game to improve but he seems to be improving all the time and the main thing is he's showing up when he need him to he's not hiding on the pitch anymore he wants the ball and I like that him and Rashford seem to be having a friendly battle for top scorer that's the way it should be.

He seems to have turned the 'happy corner' with Pogba and looks like he is enjoying his football again at long last. He's still only young but getting more and more lethal as the months go. Ole certainly seems to be a better man manager of him unlike Jose. Funny though, he was linked time and again with moves out of OT, forwards have come and gone but he's still here and he has the role he's always wanted with his no.9 shirt back. Fair play to him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back