Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Match discussion thread for discussing Anthony Martial's performances.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Poor start to the season from Martial and a stupid red. But how doesn’t Lamela also walk.

Martial should struggle to get back in the side because he’s done nothing that warrants walking back in to the team so far.

Think Lamela gets enough benefit of the doubt he's pushing Martial off then his arm runs up his chest into his face the Martial one is as clear and obvious as they come you just can't do that.

Sad state of affairs but if Martial reacts by doing what Lamela did and sits down then he might actually get him in trouble.

3 game ban for that as well not the start we hoped for from him after a strong finish to last season.

Such an overrated player Martial... Not the man to have in the trenches with petulance like this

Champions League: PSG 1-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2020

Did well for the penalty, awful for the own goal.

He was just unlucky for the own goal.

I was impressed that he wanted to defend, because I can remember when he wouldn't. Everyone wanting to muck in as a unit is refreshing.

Did well to win the penalty.

He's got serious competition incoming, so will have to be consistently better.

He was just unlucky for the own goal.

I was impressed that he wanted to defend, because I can remember when he wouldn't. Everyone wanting to muck in as a unit is refreshing.

Did well to win the penalty.

He's got serious competition incoming, so will have to be consistently better.
Totally disagree, he was naive and should probably be kept out of that position and act as the lone guy up front should we get the chance to break.
It was a joke of an attempt at defending a corner, closing your eyes, heading the ball in the wrong direction and creating a bigger threat on goal than the opposition.
Couple this with the fact he failed to score where we expect him to then it was probably our poorest performance of the night, despite falling over for a penalty.

It was a mistake, and hopefully he will learn from it, because Telles looked like he had it covered.

I do however prefer him mucking in with the team, rather than sulking up top.

In terms of failing to score, I think all of our strikers have a bad habit of touching the ball too much before shooting (barring maybe Greenwood).

I have had enough of this pretender... Body language looks dejected and uninterested. Perfect example of his ability was in the first half when he had a skillful run then skied his shot into row z.

He needs to learn what the penalty spot looks like as per any quality centre forward as he likes to drift rather than get in the box as he should do.

He's had more than enough time to prove himself and he has failed miserably.... Could see him doing alright at Fulham.

Embarrassing!!!

I think that's a bit harsh.

He certainly knows how to score and get penalties. He had a lovely partnership with Bruno when he arrived.

I think that's a bit harsh.

He certainly knows how to score and get penalties. He had a lovely partnership with Bruno when he arrived.
I think his goal record speaks for itself.. Like last season everyone waxing lyrical cos, he scored something like 23 in ALL competitions... Wow... Is that how low our expectation has gone... That should be in the Premier league alone to be classed as a half decent striker for MANCHESTER United.. We ain't West Ham.... Fed up of having to settle for mediocre wasters then have to get excited when they perform above average

Yes... He had two or three sighters last night before eventually hitting the target... Whilst I admire his off the field endeavours I believe they are a distraction...at the end of the day he his a promising youngster still.... He hasn't made it yet... Let Beckham do all the political stuff

I am nowhere near as harsh as you on Martial but I do agree that neither are out and out centre forwards. It is maybe a position we have to look at. I suspect Greenwood is the likely long term centre forward and that Cavani is a short term option to see how Greenwood develops.

Don't forget Martial had practically no supply lots of last season.

think Ole has done really well improving him in and around the box.

I hate to have to be harsh it's just frustration I suppose but I am happy if these fellas make me eat my words... I'll gladly have them make me look a fool when martial hits 40 goals this season... Here's hoping... Good point on the centre forward situation there tho... Ole said greenwood is best finisher at club (before cavani arrived) so perhaps that's the solve

Don't forget Martial had practically no supply lots of last season.

think Ole has done really improving him in and around the box.

Plus he missed two months of the season through injury.

The own goal was his first shot on target this season apparently
Isn't that more of a reflection on the creativity of the team for the first 2 games? I think Crystal palace we had 3 shots on target, Brighton 3, two of which were the goals, one of which was a penalty, so we had 2 shots on target all match.

I think at some point you have to question his movement as a striker and what he's offering. He seemed to have turned a corner last season but he's had an awful start to this season and could quickly find himself dropped

Martial is a good centre forward he isn't a great one I think we can all accept that. He has however improved massively since Ole arrived and is the best centre forward currently at the club (until we've seen what state Cavani is in).

The question is can he develop into a great one? I don't think so he's improving but not quickly enough for my liking still goes missing a lot, doesn't take over games like top strikers do, isn't alive in the box, isn't very good back to goal, doesn't really run channels. He is very good at what he can do which is facing goal and running at people or playing quick passes he can be devastating but he needs to add those other bits to really be considered top class. . He's never going to be a Kane, Lewendowski, Suarez level of centre forward those 3 for me are the best number 9's of the last decade.

I think Utd eventually replace him but for now I think he's good enough but Ole wanted Haaland last season for a reason and it's because he doesn't 100% trust Martial, he knows there will be a point in the season where he goes missing and you can't really afford to do that.

Champions League: Manchester United 5-0 RB Leipzig - 28th October 2020

First goal of the season.

Hopefully that gets him going wasn’t a great performance but seemed to grow in confidence.

it wasnt a bad performance but he needs to build on it and get better.

I have the impression Tony isn't playing with a smile on his face as he was a while back. He looks kinda unhapppy again, maybe he is pi**ed with Cavani arriving.

Saying that Tony doesn't look the happiest person at the best of times.

I have the impression Tony isn't playing with a smile on his face as he was a while back. He looks kinda unhapppy again, maybe he is pi**ed with Cavani arriving.

Saying that Tony doesn't look the happiest person at the best of times.

Saw some rumour about his personal life doing the rounds being blackmailed or something which is going through the french courts at the moment.

Just hasn’t really got going on the pitch yet the 3 game ban can’t have helped.

If he can’t handle competition he’ll never make the top as new guys will always come for your throne at a club like Utd you need to be big enough and brave enough to see them off and stay on top.

Champions League: Istanbul Basaksehir 2-1 Manchester United - 3rd November 2020

Premier League: Everton 1-3 Manchester United - 7th November 2020
His form is worrying the bad not arsed Martial seems to be back just doesn’t look interested.

He’s got to add consistency to his game and get better at the things he can’t do get involved and try to influence the game stop hiding he’s not a kid anymore this is the start of his peak.

Keep playing like this and Utd will buy a striker to replace you.

At this point I don't know why fans are surprised when he goes through patches like this. This is who he is and has been since United signed him.

I think they need to buy a striker anyway. I don't think either martial or rashford are proper strikers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back