0​
0​
0​
0​

IDFD

Pre-Season: Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 25th July 2019

He puts us one up in the friendly against Spurs. 25 minutes played

JSNFRMN

Looks as though he's going to be first choice striker this season rather than Rashford. I think it's where Martial wants to be while I think Rashford prefers that wide role.

RichH2016

Looks as though he's going to be first choice striker this season rather than Rashford. I think it's where Martial wants to be while I think Rashford prefers that wide role.
Play Rashford as the 10, Martial as the 9 with some younger players plus Lingard out wide. Where did you see that he's likely to be first choice striker this year though?

jsp

Never seen how Martial can be the central striker he's not involved enough in the game.

For me this is a huge season for him he needs to make this step up now he's a grown up now he's on the big boy contract and all that comes with responsibility no more hiding Martial it's time to deliver because if he doesn't step up and do it consistently this season and be a go to guy who can decide big games like Sterling or Mane do then we need to move on from him.

He's had 4 years to settle in and develop it really is make or break time for him I'm sick of the excuses.

Personally I see him as a wide player if he wants to be the central striker he needs to work harder and make sure he's always involved in the game.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Chelsea - 11th August 2019

RichH2016

I like him as CF but Rashford on the left? I mean he didn't track back in the first half did he? What's that all about?

jsp

Still think if he wants to play in the centre he needs to impose himself a bit more on the centre backs and ask them more questions either running in behind them or being physical against them but he took his goal well and he seems happy to have his number 9 shirt back.

Like I said in another thread with Lukaku gone there's no more excuses now you've got the shirt you need to keep hold of it and prove you deserve it and go from a 15 goal player to a 20+ player delivering 7-8/10 performances in nearly every game.

For me I still prefer Rashford in the middle with Martial out wide but if they're happy to rotate they that could work as it share the defensive burden as long as one of them is doing the job it doesn't really matter.

JSNFRMN

I've always felt Martial wanted to be a striker while Rashford wanted to be a Ronaldo type forward. As per Rooney and Ronaldo post-Ruud though, their positions were never fixed and I think that's what Ole is looking for over the next few years in attack. In Dan James and Greenwood he has 2 footed attackers while in Chong he has a left footed winger who can take it to the byline on the left or cut inside from the right, Giggs used to change with Ronaldo during games when we'd play 4-4-2.

I watched the game with a few people and someone pointed out to me early on that there was a lot of space down the wings for Chelsea as both Rashford and Lingard were coming central. In the second half I think Ole went away from the high press and we sat in a bit more, good in-game management.

IDFD

Unfortunately I think both are better when played through the middle. They seem to both often get stood up by the right back and not know how they’re going to go about beating them. Neither are great crossers of the ball and end up turning around and playing it backwards to Pogba far too often and then run in to a dead end instead of offering him the return ball.

jsp

Think the key really is getting both of them linking and inter changing you watch players like Sterling, Sane, Mane, Salah who are the best guys off the wing in the league they very rarely dribble past a man and score it's all about combining with a team mate or making that killer run in behind the full back who's switched off to hurt the opposition.

I don't think wide forward really cross the ball anyway in top sides they often have to cut the ball back along the floor but most of the crossing is done by full backs now.

Neville talks about it a lot both these guys want to take the ball and run at the defender they don't try and run in behind the defenders enough with a player like Pogba in the midfield your winger should be flying into that space behind the full back all the time. It might not work but what it does is force the opponent back because he'll be crapping himself the top players are great at this they constantly ask questions of the full back.

I think with our boys you can tell neither of them really wants to be out there Rashford is probably the more willing of the two but you can tell he's not enjoying the role.

If we can get them two linking together then we are really on to something as the speed they both can move with and without the ball is scary the key is getting them on the same wavelength. Utd at their best have always had attackers who almost played on instinct.

Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Manchester United - 19th August 2019

50th goal for United.

SuperRash

Thought he was excellent. Took his goal brilliantly and his general hold up play was good. Unfortunately stepped on the ball when he had that chance going through but overall was very good.

jsp

Thought he was excellent. Took his goal brilliantly and his general hold up play was good. Unfortunately stepped on the ball when he had that chance going through but overall was very good.
Think the ref could have called that back as the only stood on the ball as he attempted to hurdle a hack by Boly you could argue by making that tackle he denied a clear goal scoring opportunity and it could have been a red card as you don't have to make contact for it to be a foul.

His hold up play is ok but still room for improvement if he wants to play that role but he's using his body well to roll defenders when he takes it into feet there's just sometimes when he needs to protect it a little better and stop them nicking in front of him.