Red Cards​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​

Pre-Season: Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - 25th July 2019

He puts us one up in the friendly against Spurs. 25 minutes played

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks as though he's going to be first choice striker this season rather than Rashford. I think it's where Martial wants to be while I think Rashford prefers that wide role.

Looks as though he's going to be first choice striker this season rather than Rashford. I think it's where Martial wants to be while I think Rashford prefers that wide role.
Play Rashford as the 10, Martial as the 9 with some younger players plus Lingard out wide. Where did you see that he's likely to be first choice striker this year though?

Never seen how Martial can be the central striker he's not involved enough in the game.

For me this is a huge season for him he needs to make this step up now he's a grown up now he's on the big boy contract and all that comes with responsibility no more hiding Martial it's time to deliver because if he doesn't step up and do it consistently this season and be a go to guy who can decide big games like Sterling or Mane do then we need to move on from him.

He's had 4 years to settle in and develop it really is make or break time for him I'm sick of the excuses.

Personally I see him as a wide player if he wants to be the central striker he needs to work harder and make sure he's always involved in the game.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Chelsea - 11th August 2019

I like him as CF but Rashford on the left? I mean he didn't track back in the first half did he? What's that all about?

Still think if he wants to play in the centre he needs to impose himself a bit more on the centre backs and ask them more questions either running in behind them or being physical against them but he took his goal well and he seems happy to have his number 9 shirt back.

Like I said in another thread with Lukaku gone there's no more excuses now you've got the shirt you need to keep hold of it and prove you deserve it and go from a 15 goal player to a 20+ player delivering 7-8/10 performances in nearly every game.

For me I still prefer Rashford in the middle with Martial out wide but if they're happy to rotate they that could work as it share the defensive burden as long as one of them is doing the job it doesn't really matter.

I've always felt Martial wanted to be a striker while Rashford wanted to be a Ronaldo type forward. As per Rooney and Ronaldo post-Ruud though, their positions were never fixed and I think that's what Ole is looking for over the next few years in attack. In Dan James and Greenwood he has 2 footed attackers while in Chong he has a left footed winger who can take it to the byline on the left or cut inside from the right, Giggs used to change with Ronaldo during games when we'd play 4-4-2.

I watched the game with a few people and someone pointed out to me early on that there was a lot of space down the wings for Chelsea as both Rashford and Lingard were coming central. In the second half I think Ole went away from the high press and we sat in a bit more, good in-game management.

Unfortunately I think both are better when played through the middle. They seem to both often get stood up by the right back and not know how they’re going to go about beating them. Neither are great crossers of the ball and end up turning around and playing it backwards to Pogba far too often and then run in to a dead end instead of offering him the return ball.

Think the key really is getting both of them linking and inter changing you watch players like Sterling, Sane, Mane, Salah who are the best guys off the wing in the league they very rarely dribble past a man and score it's all about combining with a team mate or making that killer run in behind the full back who's switched off to hurt the opposition.

I don't think wide forward really cross the ball anyway in top sides they often have to cut the ball back along the floor but most of the crossing is done by full backs now.

Neville talks about it a lot both these guys want to take the ball and run at the defender they don't try and run in behind the defenders enough with a player like Pogba in the midfield your winger should be flying into that space behind the full back all the time. It might not work but what it does is force the opponent back because he'll be crapping himself the top players are great at this they constantly ask questions of the full back.

I think with our boys you can tell neither of them really wants to be out there Rashford is probably the more willing of the two but you can tell he's not enjoying the role.

If we can get them two linking together then we are really on to something as the speed they both can move with and without the ball is scary the key is getting them on the same wavelength. Utd at their best have always had attackers who almost played on instinct.

Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Manchester United - 19th August 2019

50th goal for United.

Thought he was excellent. Took his goal brilliantly and his general hold up play was good. Unfortunately stepped on the ball when he had that chance going through but overall was very good.

Thought he was excellent. Took his goal brilliantly and his general hold up play was good. Unfortunately stepped on the ball when he had that chance going through but overall was very good.

Think the ref could have called that back as the only stood on the ball as he attempted to hurdle a hack by Boly you could argue by making that tackle he denied a clear goal scoring opportunity and it could have been a red card as you don't have to make contact for it to be a foul.

His hold up play is ok but still room for improvement if he wants to play that role but he's using his body well to roll defenders when he takes it into feet there's just sometimes when he needs to protect it a little better and stop them nicking in front of him.

Europa League: Partizan Belgrade 0-1 Manchester United - 24th October 2019

His body language infuriates me. As he is not 100% match fit i'll let it side this time.

Good to see him back we need all the attacking guys to stay fit if we're going to repair the damage already done in the league.

He's got a free shot at proving he's good enough to be the Man Utd number 9 so lets see how he does.

I personally don't hold out much hope he's to injury prone and to ineffective in to many games to be the man utd number 9 even when you're not scoring you need to be contributing to the team for me he's not really doing that.

I think in the summer we'll try and sign a new centre forward and Martial will go back to being the back up option.

Woodward basically admitted in the recent UWS edition that Mourinho wanted to sell Martial but the recruitment department (football experts) within the club rejected the idea as they felt Martial had massive potential that hadn't yet been unlocked.

Premier League: Norwich City 1-3 Manchester United - 27th October 2019

His ability to link play makes him the best option at 9.

United have won 77% of their league games under Ole Gunnar Solskjær when Anthony Martial has started, compared to 29% when he hasn’t.

That stat is just crazy but just shows how important he is for Ole.

Still not 100% sold on him being a first choice number 9 at a top club but he’s done well when he’s been fit this season.

Lovely finish for the goal only caught the highlights so didn’t really see what his all round game was like but we are thin on the ground so need everyone to stay fit and healthy.

I think he's brilliant, if he can stay fit. That is the worry with him. He can finish really well

I said in another thread, no one else at the club would have opted for that finish I don't think.

There is no question about his ability but his fitness and attitude is definitely questionable. However, if he spends a whole season at number 9 then I think he can get 18-20 goals easily. He’s a really top finisher and he’s always preferred number 9 so it’s his time to show it.

I think his ability is also in question when compared to the strikers our rivals have he hasn’t yet proven he’s in the league of Firmino, Kane, Aguero, Aubameyang.

Utd have to have a top class striker who does it every week not in fits and starts we need to start seeing consistency from him in both fitness and performance.

To many excuses are made for him the number 9 shirt and position is his don’t give anyone the chance to take it off you

His form has been questionable under most managers he’s been under. There is nothing currently that convinces you he’s going to be a top number 9 anymore than there is OGS is going to be a top manager.

His form has been questionable under most managers he’s been under.

Why and how has form been questionable under most managers?

There is nothing currently that convinces you he’s going to be a top number 9 anymore than there is OGS is going to be a top manager.

Such a bizarre point, and wrong in many ways.

The fact he has very rarely been played as a number 9 suggests that real judgements can’t be made on whether he will really do well there until he has a lengthy period in that position. His form is questionable in other positions but he hasn’t done too bad at number 9 so far this season when he’s played? Instinctive finish vs Chelsea, quality finishes vs Wolves and Norwich.

Why and how has form been questionable under most managers?

Such a bizarre point, and wrong in many ways.

What’s he done to really convince you that he is a top class striker that deserves the number 1 CF role at United? Isn’t that the point about Ole he’s done nothing to prove he deserves it?

When he’s had the chance he’s blown hot and cold. Isn’t that the same point regarding Ole?

The point is Ole and his team are mainly a bunch of unproven players with potential. And all of the talk of getting rid of him whilst going through injuries is far too early. Your stat shows two things, one that Martial is perhaps showing signs of being a top player and two Ole has a system that works when the players required are available and given time he can move us forward.

I find it odd that it can even be argued that Martial hasn’t blown hot and cold throughout his entire career and never shown the consistency that top class players have.

I’m happy to give him a shot and we don’t have a choice at the moment. I’m just not convinced he is the answer. I obviously hope he is as he’s much better than our other options through the middle. But a club like United needs a player with the ability of Rooney, RVP, Tevez through the middle up top. Who even when we’re having a bad day you know if the ball falls to then they’re going to make something happen.

being played up top this season, 3 goals and 1 assist in 5 games so far.

I think he just has bad body language, needs to stand up straight! it gives the impression he can't be bothered.

There’s a few things for me that I have concerns over.

He doesn’t score headers you need to be getting on the end of crosses as a number 9

Like Rashford he isn’t a poacher sniffing out the easy goals is vital for a number 9

I don’t think he occupies the centre backs for 90 minutes can he outmuscle or outsmart top defenders a really dominate them.

Can he link the play and create for others.

Fitness he misses to many games with muscle injuries this is a problem.

The guy obviously has talent and he’s got a clear path ahead of him now but he needs to show over the next 7 months that we can rely on him to be the number 9.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 Partizan Belgrade - 7th November 2019

Don't want to get to carried away this is my thing with Martial he'll run over poor teams when it's easy but when it's hard can he be the difference this is the next step he needs to take if he wants to be our number 1 striker. A Utd striker needs to be turning up and being an 8 out of 10 in maybe 75% of the games with Martial it still feels a bit 50/50 if he'll turn up and he needs to make sure when he can be impacting the game when others aren't playing well.

He's the best we've got right now but I still want to see a lot more from him to convince me that he's the guy that can lead the line for this team.

Great goal last night punished a mistake with some neat skill and a tidy finish but can he do that against better defenders is the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back