Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he worked his nuts off today and once he got his first run at that defence his tail was up and he was demanding the ball that is the Martial we need to see.

He was awful for most of the game. Didn't go at his full back, didn't complete passes, didn't run with any kind of pace with the ball.

But full credit he stuck at it and got a very good goal in the end.

He was awful for most of the game. Didn't go at his full back, didn't complete passes, didn't run with any kind of pace with the ball.

But full credit he stuck at it and got a very good goal in the end.

I’m glad someone saw the same performance as me.

Premier League: Chelsea 2-2 Manchester United - 20th October 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

2 great goals in a fairly quiet game.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Everton - 28th October 2018

Motm today should have buried the game at the end though

Playing well, shame we can’t get him to sign

Never really thought about it but just seen a nice stat. No player at the club has more goals for United than Martial. 41.

Neville did a big piece on him for the MNF show this week really looking into his game.

He basically said that his stats in terms of goals/assists are match pretty much any wide player in the league apart from Salah who is way out in front after his season last year but his stats compare pretty well with all wide forwards at the top clubs. The difference is in the work rate the wide players at other clubs are running 10.5km per game Martial runs 9.5km now Neville said that isn't a dig at his defensive work it was a dig at his attacking work. Basically he said Martial doesn't run in behind enough he pulls wide and waits for the ball rather than running in behind the defender he said if he just made more of those runs he'd become a much more dangerous player.

That to me is probably a lack of coaching as he said he never made those runs at Monaco or under LVG or Mourinho and I'd say it's because in youth football he was a striker he doesn't have the natural wide players instincts.

Neville believed if he can just develop that part of his game he'd quickly go up another level because he points out Martial makes the hard finishes look almost routine.

Now some of that needs to come from Martial working one to one with the coaches asking them how to improve and then working on it and another part is on the coach getting the message to him on how to do it.

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-2 Manchester United - 3rd November 2018

Champions League: Juventus 1-2 Manchester United - 7th November 2018

He was very good in the second half.

After a few decent performances he seems to have hit a slump again. He should be given a shot through the middle as the centre forward. We’ve given Lukaku Rashford and Sanchez a chance whereas most of Martials opportunities have come down the left.

If we are sticking with 3-5-2 I'd rather see him up top than Lukaku but Martial is a frustrating player because he isn't consistent and he's lost that momentum he had from a few weeks back.

Premier League: Cardiff City v Manchester United - 22nd December 2018

FA Cup: Arsenal 1-3 Manchester United - 25th January 2019

Didn’t do too much when he came on but got the goal that finally killed off the game so we’ll all forgive him :p

Thought he was very sloppy when he came on but got the killer goal which is what really matters but he seems to me to be a player who's not a great sub struggles to get up to the speed of the game when he comes on as a sub.

Premier League: Fulham v Manchester United - 9th February 2019

Real real blow this one, Lingard is a loss because he definitely works in the Ole system but Martial has been brilliant of late. Also to come at a time when the big games are coming thick and fast is not great.

So I imagine come Chelsea our front three will be Mata, Sanchez and Rashford? Unless Ole decides to go for Lukaku on the right like the Arsenal game.

FA Cup: Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-1 Manchester United - 16th March 2019

First start in over month. He was poor.

He was worse than poor, he was anonymous. I can handle people playing badly, it happens, but you still need to be involved.

He was worse than poor, he was anonymous. I can handle people playing badly, it happens, but you still need to be involved.

Pulled out of the internationals with a recurrence of a knee injury.

Possibly a factor in his performance?

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Watford - 30th March 2019

Did well on the goal but very quiet in the rest of the game poor decision making a few times just wasn’t at his best.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 West Ham United - 13th April 2019

He was awful. He played like he was uninterested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back