Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn’t got the mentality to make it in big time football. Bags of ability but hides away and makes poor decisions.

Honestly wouldn’t be gutted if he was sold before end of the window I’m done with him had enough chances but I doubt anyone will make us an offer the club would accept.

He just doesn’t want to be here anymore and it’s been that way for more than a season it looked like that situation was resolved start of last season but last 6 months it’s clear he’s wanted out and club should’ve ditched him by now. That said I doubt anyone has shown serious interest in him as Utd can’t sell at a loss.

Champions League: Young Boys 0-3 Manchester United - 19th September 2018

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

How many last balls did he give away in decent positions, even some scoring positions??? Looked rusty but grew into the game.

No doubt dropped for the next game for Sanchez.

To be fair he didn’t have a great game but it was better than the shocking performances Sanchez has been delivering for us. But yeah Martial will be out and Sanchez in at the weekend.

Thought he was ok given the lack of playing time he's had at the start of the season but not enough to say he should be starting vs Wolves but think he deserves the chance in the league cup game next week.

To be fair he didn’t have a great game but it was better than the shocking performances Sanchez has been delivering for us. But yeah Martial will be out and Sanchez in at the weekend.

Sanchez is classed as 'shocking' because of how often he's lost the ball. Martial lost the ball three times more yesterday than Sanchez is averaging per 90 minutes.

I honestly can only putting it down to analysing what you expect from Sanchez and what you expect from Martial as oppose to their actual performance levels.

Sanchez is classed as 'shocking' because of how often he's lost the ball. Martial lost the ball three times more yesterday than Sanchez is averaging per 90 minutes.

I honestly can only putting it down to analysing what you expect from Sanchez and what you expect from Martial as oppose to their actual performance levels.
I don’t really care how often someone loses a ball, a player could pass the ball 100% to his team mates but have very little effect on the game. Sanchez is not having any effect on games and someone of his experience and class should be doing more. He wasn’t bought here to be an okay player, he was bought here to elevate us to another level and it simply isn’t happening.

I am by no means saying Martial had a good game. I don’t think either of them are doing enough, and I would throw Rashford into that mix too.

Forgot the whataboutery side of this argument the reality is neither are performing to the level we need our attacking players to be at on a consistent basis.

There's no winner in this argument because neither is achieving the standard we have came to expect from a Utd player and you can chuck all the other attackers into that arument none of this lot would be starting in the 92-94, 98-01 or 07-09 sides.

If there was an obvious winner we'd all agree which one should be starting and this problem goes right through our team we've basically got a load of players who are all about the same ability so there isn't an obvious starter in every outfield position.

I agree that Sanchez hasn’t been good enough but if he puts in the performance Martial did yesterday he would be absolutely slammed for it. There was one redeeming feature and that was a tap in Pogba put on a plate.

I just simply fail to understand how someone seems that performance as worthy of a starting place. We are acting like he tore apart a side which he didn’t. In fact all of the front 3 were disappointing last night with probably Lukaku being the worst of the lot. But what I saw was a good performance from Fred (whose actually been criticised) and Pogba who kept us going forwards even though the forwards kept messing it up every time they were in possession. I mean apart from adding the final tap in did any of them have anything to do with the 3 goals?

Martial did more last night than Sanchez has in his last 5 games. He at least made runs into the last third, penetrated more and got involved. Sanchez just runs round like a headless chicken and gets nowhere.

I'm sure he will be in for Wolves over Martial so lets revisit this conversation at the weekend to discuss how little he's contributed again

See that’s just complete rubbish. Martial didn’t even do more last night than Sanchez did in the one game against Burnley. Ridiculous hyperbole as usual.

I get that you don’t like him but at least view his performance for what it was or you’re massively overhyping what was an average performance at best from Martial.

Seriously???

Sanchez has been playing regularly since he arrived in Feb and he's done diddly squat. Martial looked rusty last night granted but he offered more going forwards than Sanchez has in months.

Whether I like Sanchez or not has nothing to do with it, to be fair I was jumping like a lunatic when he joined as I was so excited. Now I wouldn't give a toss if he was sold, which unfortunately he won't be as no club would be stupid enough to buy a player in massive decline on £350-500k a week. Oh except Utd that is.

Oh and don't forget were comparing a 'world class' star at his 'peak' against a 22 yr old who doesn't play regularly

Or we’re comparing a player we’ve now paid £54m to a player we paid £28m (Mhki’s price).

IMO we’re comparing two united players and take their performances as who actually played better not giving either bonus points because Mourinho didn’t sign one of em.

Do you honestly think objectively Martial done more yesterday than Sanchez did against Burnley?

I couldn’t give a toss if Martial left. He’s offered the square root of nothing except an 8 game period for 3 years. Since ibra signed and he started moaning. The fact you’re talking up last nights performance highlights how poor he’s been.

I'm getting fed up with Sanchez aswell to be honest. Gave him space last season as it was mid-season and a different style of play, still early days this season but expect a lot more this season now he's had his summer off and a full pre-season. Has to start providing more, he's meant to be our star player in attack and is coming up short.

I wasn't watching in much detail but Martial was poor first half just not in the game at all and didn't really look interested kind of got himself going a bit after we scored probably as he was given more space and that right back punched himself out a bit with some early runs.

He was better second half but he still only really had one big moment in the game which was his goal which took a huge deflection but to give him the benefit of the doubt he's good at one vs ones so his original shot was probably going in.

If he didn't score I don't think there'd be much talk about him having a good game he was as poor as Rashford & Lukaku there was almost no link up between the front 3 and it was all a bit of a mess but luckily it didn't really matter.

I'd happily have sold Martial in the summer if it meant we got a centre back or a right winger and that game doesn't really change that opinion as I don't think we need him and I don't think we will be able to develop him into reaching his potential. Bit like Depay he needs to take one step back to take two forward and join a club where he'll get regular games and they'll have more patience with him than we can.

What he needs to do, is more, as we all know, the places in the team are up for grabs, make yourself undroppable.

And that goes to all the front players.

He could easily force his way into the team with a bit more application and a better attitude.

Martial didn't play well on Wednesday, I never said he did. I said he offered more than Sanchez. Martial was poor first half but got more into it second half, even though his last ball was very poor. He did look rusty too from lack of playing time but I felt he did, and will offer more than Sanchez has done, based on what I have seen for the last few months.

Think that goes for anyone at the club apart from De Gea.

I don't see any position that is 100% owned by a player there are no obvious starters in that team for me Mourinho has his favourites but I don't think he'd be against dropping Matic or Lukaku if you come in and perform. Lingard forced his way in last season, Shaw is doing the same this season the starting spots are there you just need to take them. I think if he picked a settled side things would improve as you'd have to fight your way into the starting XI last season it felt like rotation for the sake of rotation at times so players knew they'd get games at some point. I don't get the impression that there's a queue at the managers door after every game with players wanting to know why they're not in the team.

Where I think Martial needs to improve is demand the ball more take over the game and maybe just believe in himself a bit more maybe the manager needs to help give him that confidence because we all know what he can do. He still feels to me a bit like if the first thing doesn't come off and the defender wins the tackle he gives up he doesn't have that give me the ball again I'll do him again attitude possible because at youth team football he was so much better than everyone else it rarely happened. I think that's something that can be coached relieve the pressure play like Sanchez he'll lose the ball 10 times and still try again because he believe next time it'll come off with Martial you feel like he'd rather not try than fail but if you take the pressure off him bit of arm around the shoulder and encouragement he will try again.

The only thing worse than failing for me is not even trying and sometimes I feel that Martial throws the towel in a bit when if he just kept going something might come off the next time. Nani used to do my head in but that lad always wanted the ball even if he was having a stinker and it's the same with Pogba & Sanchez you can't hide in football at the top level if it's not your day it's not your day but keep taking the ball and having a go as you never know eventually it might come off.

I think Lukaku could shoot Mourinho's mum and not get dropped. As he been dropped once even when going through his draught last season?

I actually think things are very different this season. 6 games in and I think we can practically name our starting 11 barring RB and the third CM at the moment.

I think Lukaku could shoot Mourinho's mum and not get dropped. As he been dropped once even when going through his draught last season?

I actually think things are very different this season. 6 games in and I think we can practically name our starting 11 barring RB and the third CM at the moment.

Think the issue here is Mourinho doesn't think Rashford or Martial can do the things Lukaku does even when he's playing badly. Without checking was Rashford injured around the time of Lukaku's lean spell last season? Got a feeling he picked up and injury and missed about a month around christmas. If Ibra came back fit and stayed for the full season which I think was the plan I think we'd have seen some rotation but I think he just feels he's only got 1 striker so he has to play him every week. The thing with Lukaku is even when he's not scoring he's still effecting the game because he's the target man think two of his best games for Utd Liverpool (h) and Arsenal (a) are games he didn't score in for example.

Martial since this is his thread is a guy currently who if he isn't scoring isn't giving us much else far to often he's just not involved in the game.

The truth is Mourinho clearly doesn't feel Martial deserves time on the pitch as he can't fit him into his system and get him to do what he wants to do they feel very chalk and cheese right now.

I dunno about that this season we've used 3 different central defensive line ups in 6 games, as you say the 3rd CM spot seems up for grabs between Fellaini & Fred currently and the front 3 I think we've used 3 different combinations in 6 games. Things seem to be settling a bit but he still made 5 changes in the last game from the win at Watford Shaw, Dalot, Fred, Martial & Rashford all coming in. My guess is for Wolves it will be similar to the team that played Watford but it's still early days to say things have settled down.

I know mid week football means you have to rotate but I still think we over rotate because we have loads of players who are all 7/10 players we don't have obvious starters apart from De Gea, Matic, Pogba, Lukaku.

EFL Cup: Manchester United 2-2 Derby County - 25th September 2018

He was United's best player.

I would have loved to have seen Martial under Fergie.

He definitely put in an improved performance tonight. He was brilliant in the first half but like most United players it fizzled out in the second half but he was still trying.

I think we just need to give him a run of games to be honest.

Think he did enough to get a start at the weekend on the left of the front 3 ahead of Sanchez if Sanchez is going in the team then he either goes in the centre or on the right.

I actually missed all of last nights game bar the final 5 minutes. Good to hear he played well. Surprised we didn't rest Lukaku. Is that Rashford ban up now?

I actually missed all of last nights game bar the final 5 minutes. Good to hear he played well. Surprised we didn't rest Lukaku. Is that Rashford ban up now?

Yeah that was the last of his 3.

Martial & Dalot were the bright sparks on an otherwise dull evening I wasn't paying full attention to the game but Martial was the guy trying to make things happen in the absence of Pogba & Sanchez and he seemed to have a bit of that confidence and swagger back but it was no more than a 7/10 performance just the best of a bad bunch really.

Premier League: West Ham United 1-3 Manchester United - 29th September 2018

He was poor.

He's a left winger/forward, for me.

Premier League: Manchester United 3-2 Newcastle United - 6th October 2018

I think he deserves to start the next game.

He was terrible for 60 minutes. After the first time he beat a man though he really come to life. I’d go with Him Lukaku and Sanchez front 3 next game.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He’ll needs up his work rate still. Mourinho went mental at him when we were losing and he was stood still when the ball was coming out towards him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back