Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Champions League 0

Previous Seasons
Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Pre season: LA Galaxy 2-5 Manchester United - 15th July 2017

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thought he looked pretty sharp and up for it. If we are to start playing 2 up front then there are places up for grabs that weren't there before.

Needs to be less selfish for me and work with his strike partner more. Did look sharp though. Struggled with fatigue I think last season, Deschamps said he turned up to Euros burnt out and struggled then all season for consistency, his best games I thought came after rest, 2 games in 4 days was a big ask all season. Think he'll be better this season for a good rest and full pre-season.

I think he could be devastating up top with a strike partner - a lot of times when playing up top by himself he had too much to do so couldn't focus on what he was good at - picking up the ball in space and being direct. Having a strike partner would free him up, especially a big target man partner like Lukaku who will likely need two defenders on him most of the time.

Pre Season: Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester United - 23rd July 2017

Pre Season: Real Madrid 1-1 Manchester United - 23rd July 2017

Looked very bright in the first half but was quiet enough in the 2nd half. He will benefit hugely from having a full pre-season.I can't help but feel he is still lacking a bit of confidence though - it should be Jose's job to install that in him, rather than constantly knocking him.

Fellaini in that build up :-D

we need to find a buyer for him

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 West Ham United - 13th August 2017

Hopefully him and Rashford push each other on this season.

It feels like they're competing for the same spot in the team but they should both be pushing each other for that spot, Rashford laid down a marker with his performance from the start but Martial delivered the perfect sub appearance but you won't get to play against Zabaletta every week. That guys legs have completely gone and if it wasn't for the City link I'd probably have felt sorry for him by the end of the game.

Premier League: Swansea City 0-4 Manchester United - 19th August 2017

Absolutely. At the minute his end product is much better then Rashfords. Martial is scoring and assisting goals while Rashford is doing well elsewhere on the pitch, but coming up short when it matters. It would be massively harsh on Martial if he doesn't start against Leicester now.

Surely earned the right to start a game?
Without a doubt. He's looked really sharp when he's come on and his end product has been on point. Definitely deserves a start against Leicester.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Everton - 17th September 2017

The turn inside just before the penalty was a lovely bit of skill just a reminder of that talent he has and he put the penalty away nicely although the keeper made it very easy for him by going early.

I'm guessing he'll get a start mid week vs Burton will be interesting to see if he starts wide or through the middle it would be quite nice to see him and Rashford play together up top.

At the start of the season we all said we need more goals from Mata Mhki Martial and Rashford to help Lukaku out.

Last season he got 4 prem goals. He's already on 3 and I believe all from the bench.

Rashford got 5 in 32 last season. He's on 2 but really needs to find his finishing boots.

Mata was unlucky not to score with that free kick but should have done better in the build up to that.

Hopefully now Mhki has his first of the season he can start firing.

Yep goals need to come from all over it was up to everyone including defenders to start chipping in Valencia has bagged one and so has Bailly plus Pogba/Fellaini chipped in with a few from central midfield and I imagine Matic/Herrra will also contribute during the season. Seems like modern teams who win titles are hitting 100 goals so even if you have a guy who hits 30 there's still a lot that needs to be made up by other players so everyone needs to contribute.

I think the way Martial and Rashford work with one starting and the other coming on works well it's almost like the guy who starts softens up the full back for the guy who then comes on to finish him off with his fresh legs.

Still interested to see if when we play the better sides and Mourinho goes for his more defensive tactic can we carry a threat on the counter attack these were the games last season where we were really poor can we now break on sides.

He has some unreal potential and has everything and once it all comes together for him we are gonna have one of the best in the world. His little cameos have been very good so far and he needs to make it so Jose can't drop him, I think an extended run of form can help us massively going forward.

League Cup: Manchester United 4-0 Burton Albion - 20th September 2017

He has to start.

Ahead of Rashford or Lukaku?

This is the problem we've got 3 really exciting forwards but none of them play on the right.

The good news is the Martial we saw in his first season looks like he's back he's confident again and last night he had the freedom to go and show off a bit.

I'd have him in the team ahead of Rashford probably at the moment. Rashford got the two goals but Martial stole the show last night. He was just out there to entertain the crowd.

So good to watch them keep pushing each other to up the ante. Because the only winner is the team.

It's a shame we haven't seen Rashford on the right like he was for England, Martial on the left, Rom through the middle and Miki as a 10 imagine that? But I get why we don't because we are putting all our eggs in one basket that way. Whereas a game changer on the bench is so important and is working now.

Rashford was disappointing in the right though for England.

Different set up at United to Southgate's England.

Rashford can't play on the right because he wants to come inside and if he does that from the right he will be on his weaker left foot unless one of those two can improve their left foot neither will ever thrive playing on the right hand side unless they want to be a Valencia style traditional winger who just relentlessly slings in crosses which I don't think either wants to be.

I really like the setup at the moment where you have one coming off the bench to kill a team off, having guys who come off the bench and make a difference is vital and they play an important role and I'd like to think both can be kept happy if we rotate which one starts and which one comes on and there will be games when both can start as Lukaku is rested.

The answer to our issue with the right hand side is something that probably needs to be solved in the transfer market unless something emerges from the academy the only person I think who plays that wide right role well is Mhiki everyone else looks like a spare part.

Champions League: CSKA Moscow v Manchester United - 27th September 2017

He lets the keeper dive then rolls it the other way. So calm it’s scary.

Doesn't need to be right in the corner to beat the keeper. As long as he keeps sending them the wrong way it's ok. Very composed for the penalty though.

Yep he doesn't ever put his head down eventually a keeper will stand up to him and wait but the challenge then will be can he hit the corner hard which is what you need to do if you use this technique.

It's just great to see his confidence back he's running at people again and getting results plus he's getting chances in games his finishing hasn't actually been to clinical in recent weeks but he's such an exciting player to watch and he is starting to look like the Martial we saw in the first season again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back