Angel Gomes to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Lille don’t think he’s ready for the first team in one of the bigger leagues. But overall probably a good move to get a loan move to the Portuguese league. Will be interesting to see how he does!

Angel Gomes signs for Lille after leaving Manchester United, loaned to Boavista
I had to look up Boavista, never even heard of them. It sucks for Gomes, I feel bad for him, because he was the linchpin in a highly successful youth team but he just doesn't have it at senior level. If even Lille has loaned him out it shows that pretty much everyone but Gomes agrees with the assessment that he isn't Prem quality. Good luck to him.

I've heard of them, I wonder if unted have played them before, would never have guessed Portugal though.

Seems like an odd step in his career though.

Yeah think we played Boavista in the Champions League many moons ago. Not sure how good they are anymore but haven’t seen them in the CL or EL lately so maybe not great - although I don’t really concentrate on the earlier stages of the EL.

I think he may have found the great opportunities were not as forthcoming as he thought they would be. And I suppose he had to take some sort of step.

Yeah they're a pretty solid Portuguese teams normally knocking around 4th or 5th in that division but it's a great league for him to go and get some experience in.

Good luck to him it didn't work out for him in the end at Utd a move is probably best for everyone just hope he plays some football so we can see what talent he really has.

Very odd career choice. Lille then loan to Boavista? Surely Lille can't offer a wage we would be offering and that is a huge step down, surely some top Championship team or a Villa type Prem team would have loaned him from us? Seems like very bad advice from agents.

He's obviously got his reasons could be he's fallen out with the coaches at Utd or promises that were made weren't kept who knows one story was he asked to go on loan in January and Utd blocked it they didn't want him going on loan without signing a new contract.

I'd be amazed if Lille offered more money than Utd but what they can offer is opportunity stay at Utd and no matter what you do on loan Bruno Fernandes is in your position the club just spent £50m on him so he's going nowhere.

Sometimes you just need to accept your out and move on it might bite us in the backside further down the road but fact is he's nowhere near ready for our first team right now.

He might be a 100m player in 3 years time now that he's left if he'd stayed then it's unlikely he would have fulfilled that potential.

Couldn't agree more but Lille?? Maybe they are just not a glamour name that I would have associated with a decent up and coming player.

Couldn't agree more but Lille?? Maybe they are just not a glamour name that I would have associated with a decent up and coming player.
If no other clubs are in for you then you have to take what you can get. He can’t just rely on waiting for a big club because that offer may never come in. Personally I think it’s a good move, he always needed that loan move to a smaller league like Holland or Portugal.

Got a growing reputation for developing young talent and you know they will cash in on you.

French league is a good standard of football and Lille are normally a side competing for top 4 no.

They sold Pepe to Arsenal, sold another striker to Napoli, Gabriel being linked to us and they've got another centre mid who a lot of clubs are looking at. So I think he probably thinks he'll get a good chance with them and they're motivated to give him chances as they know if they can develop his talent the pay day could be huge.

If I was him I'd be thinking do 1 year in Portugal, 1 year in France then hopefully find a move back to England there's a step by step map for him there.

I always felt if he stayed with us we needed to find a club in Europe to take him on loan as I think he needed a season in a much easier league to learn the game then make slow steps up. I think he'd have struggled for games in most Prem or Championship sides.

I'm a little surprised, we could have sent him out on loan. I thought he ws leaving because Barca dn Juve etc, were interested.

PS, I'm not sure the French league is that a good standard. I would wager the championship is better.

I dunno about the standard of the championship I don't think it's that high but what it provides is a very level playing field the gap between the best team and worst team isn't massive so teams can quickly move up and down the places which brings excitement.

Teams in the championship wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Europa league for example.

France is different because you have 1 mega club then 4 or 5 decent sides they normally get 4 or 5 sides through to the knockout stages of the European comps normally 2 in CL and 2 or 3 in EL. Hard for any club in that league to sustain anything though as apart from PSG if you have 1 good season your teams gets ripped apart by European clubs buying up all your players.

I dunno about the standard of the championship I don't think it's that high but what it provides is a very level playing field the gap between the best team and worst team isn't massive so teams can quickly move up and down the places which brings excitement.

Teams in the championship wouldn't last 5 minutes in the Europa league for example.

France is different because you have 1 mega club then 4 or 5 decent sides they normally get 4 or 5 sides through to the knockout stages of the European comps normally 2 in CL and 2 or 3 in EL. Hard for any club in that league to sustain anything though as apart from PSG if you have 1 good season your teams gets ripped apart by European clubs buying up all your players.
It's only in very recent years you would have said that though. The standard was very good up until a few years back.

It's only in very recent years you would have said that though. The standard was very good up until a few years back.

I dunno most teams that come up struggle in the Prem you normally get 1 of the 3 per year who seem to crack it and hang around but the others seem to yo-yo. The teams who come up this season Leeds will probably be fine in mid table but think West Brom/Fulham will be slugging it out at the bottom.

It's just become a strange division as you have teams who've got the parachute payments then you have a few clubs who are just spending silly money year on year chasing the dream.

The championship is probably in the top 10 in terms of standard for leagues in Europe.

Never. He'll be lucky to ever feature in a top league again.

Who knows mate football is full of people who were written off as being to small by clubs and these decisions can haunt you.

The point was more if he'd stayed at Utd in 3 years time I think he'd probably have done a loan or two and still been struggling to break into the Utd first team squad. If he goes to Lille there's a chance in 12 months time he's playing in a decent French side and things can change quickly if you hit some good form.

I think he's made the right decision for his career it's now on him to deliver on the pitch if he does hopefully it'll kick start his career.

Personally I don't think he'll ever make it to the very top unless he can add a bit more speed and power to his game so that he can't be pushed off the ball easily but he could have a good career.

I’ve got a bet on Gomes vs Edwards England caps aged 25. Currently looking like it’ll be a 0-0 draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back