Angel Gomes to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He's in no position to start getting too big for his boots, but I would of probably started him along with Greenwood on sunday, I also agree with the size comments, looks far too small

I think he has a point tbh. Ole has spoken non stop since he got here using sound bites like , " the United way" and " this is a club that gives youth a chance". I was really disappointed on Sunday that he didn't play more of the youngsters. Yes he is small but he is talented too. This is not the time to be losing homegrown talented players.

I would hate to lose Gomes, I really think given the opportunity he would thrive here. He has very good technical ability and to be honest against Cardiff he was neat. He should have started the game along with Garner I think. It was a nothing game and you’re only going to see what these young guys are about if you play them.

He’s got 1 year on his deal.

I think he will want more opportunities with Europa league next season I see opportunities for him but unless we have options to extent that deal then he needs to sign or be sold.

Talk of PSG makes no sense sounds more like agent trying to get a new deal sorted but other clubs will circle he’s good mates with Sancho so he will be seeing what his mate is up to and thinking what about me it happened with Pogba talent won’t always wait. These kids are clued up now they know U23 is a waste of time.

There’s a report Ole said he had physical concerns about Gomes in first team football he’s 5 3 and not particularly strong.

Utd have to make a call this summer I’d make him an offer to stay and say they want him to stay and feature in Europa league do well in that and you’ll be in the first team setup if it isn’t working out then in January you’ll be allowed to go on loan wherever you want.

5, 3! that is too small. Even Zola was taller than that, he was proper class though.

5, 3! that is too small. Even Zola was taller than that, he was proper class though.

Small can be useful makes you very hard to knock off the ball because you are so low height is not how you judge a players ability.

This infuriates me a bit. You can't get much more old school English than " he is too small". Apart from the fact it is all about ability he has probably spent all his life playing against giants trying to kick him.

He's had chance but he's not forced himself into the team like Tuenzebe & Greenwood have.

The competition ahead of him isn't great Periera, Mata, Lingard are the current number 10's they've not exactly lit it up this season if Gomes puts in a decent performance in the cup games he'll get more time in the league I'm sure of it.

I do think Utd should be looking to get him out on loan somewhere abroad next season where he can develop possibly Holland or Belgium something like that.

I actually think we're getting to the point where his "reputation" is way ahead of his actual ability because U23 football is pointless when it comes to judging players now you need to see what they can do in full senior mens football and very few young players are good enough to go straight from U23 to a top premier league starting XI.

Utd as part of a wider policy need to start making better use of the loan market it's a key stage in player development.

He hasn’t really had a chance though really? He’s played 167 minutes and I remember vividly he was thrown on against West Ham when we were god awful, it was like feeding him to the lions.

I do agree though he should be sent out on loan and play some regular football, however I fear we will lose him for nothing. It

He's had a few injuries from memory but he was given the start vs Astana and I think Rochdale and didn't really impress in either game whereas Greenwood did.

It's the same story with Chong really both these guys know they're to good for the U23 level but they probably aren't quite ready for the first team level. Utd obviously want both to sign new deals to protect their market value but I think both players know the next 1-2 years for them are vital so they need to be playing football.

I'd be looking at both and saying sign new deals and we'll get you out somewhere in January where you can get 6 months of football under your belt.

Playing division 2 U23 football is doing neither of them any good.

The word on the street is that he isn't playing or he won't play again until he signs a new contract.

I don't think he started against rochdale but did against Astana. I am not convinced about him but he has barely had a chance. Playing as number 10 he couldn't be any worse than the zero goals and assists that we had managed before the last game. The games he has played I think gave been much weakened teams, against astana the midfield was fred and matic. I think a loan stint would be a good move but game time wouldn't hurt either.

The word on the street is that he isn't playing or he won't play again until he signs a new contract.

I think Utd are right to take that stance with these kids if you're not signing new deals then you don't play you can't have the tale wagging the dog with these kids and focus should be put on the kids who are dedicated and want to be here.

These lads don't have anywhere near enough status in the bank to try and mess the club around.

I don't think it's a case of money grabbing or agent games I think him and Chong are at a bit of a crossroads career wise and the next move is vital. They can look at guys like Periera and Fosu-Mensah who took the contract then got lost in the loan system for 2 or 3 years and never really recovered.

If I was advising them I'd be telling them go and find a club at a level where you're ready to play you'll still get a good deal if they go abroad there will be little to no compensation to be paid to Utd or sitting with Utd and asking them to be clear on the progression plan.

If I was Utd I'd be highlighting to these kids that no top club matches Utd in terms of chances being given to young players but chances have to be taken if you don't take it then they can't just keep giving them to you.

Can't let him go. We are supposed to be promoting youth.

ONLY if youth is good enough.

Greenwood and Williams have shown this season they're good enough to get in the squad, McTominay and Tuenzebe have shown they're good enough to be first choice, Gomes and Chong in my opinion have shown that they're still a year or two away from being ready.

If he wants guarantees of first team football and loads of money then Utd have to be prepared to say no and walk away the days of players holding us to ransom need to be done.

Not involved against Alkmaar. You would suspect his days at United are numbered unless he signs a new contract.

Not involved against Alkmaar. You would suspect his days at United are numbered unless he signs a new contract.

Possibly but it's always hard to find out injury news on academy players as it tends not to be reported so for all we know he wasn't even available for the game.

He played for the U23 team on Monday it might be that they'll give him a chance in the league cup next week but if he's told them 100% he's not signing a new deal then I can't see them giving him any first team playing time as what is the point.

His profile pic on Twitter is still United referenced.

Who knows what’s going on here, sounds like he doesn’t want to sign so he’s kind of being frozen out. Would be a shame to see him go but if he wants to leave then that’s fine. He should be getting more minutes in my opinion but maybe he has had his head turned. Probably Juve bound!

He has apparently removed #mufc from his bio on Instagram.

Has he removed it or was it never actually there?

Sure this went round months ago and someone pointed out he'd always had Nike athlete or something like that as his bio.

Does feel like he's on the way out but if he wants to play.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd like to know what a 19 year would call an underwhelming contract offer.

Agent talk is my guess.

Reports I’ve seen suggest the offer from utd is much better than the offers from other European clubs.

I think the lad is over hyped he’s got talent but he’s very small and if you are going to be that small you need to be exceptional.

The boy needs to start playing high level football and I don’t see that happening at Utd if he does sign a new deal he needs to go out on loan somewhere and play.

Can't believe we are going to lose a talent like this. That's really not good.

Can't believe we are going to lose a talent like this. That's really not good.

We can’t do much more he’s clearly not good enough to be in the first team yet he’s been offered a good contract but he wants to play. Let him go and prove us wrong but Utd can’t be held to ransom by these kids.

The same stuff happened last time he signed his deal so don’t read to much into the noise.

He’s seen his mates get chances at other clubs probably feels he needs to move to do the same.

If you’re a young kid with super talent and you can’t break into this Utd team then you probably need to reassess what you are doing or how good you are.

I take this to mean someone at United (Ole?) is refusing to play him until he signs, correct? I like this. Players have too much power now. There is no reason to continue to include Gomes in matches if he's intent on leaving at the end of the year. This way it sends a clear message to the players coming through: 100% commitment or we look elsewhere.

Beyond that, Gomes really is too small. He is talented but has only looked good against other youth. I would have played him ahead of Mata recently, just to see how he does in a game we don't really need to win, as in, play him without any pressure. The physical side of the game can't be ignored in the Premier League. Gomes might thrive in a less physically demanding league, but right now he is not what our team needs.

I like Gomes and think he should be content with getting the odd starts, training with the first team, and coming on as a sub while he grows and matures as a player. Same with Chong, who, in my opinion, has shown even less when called on. Both Gomes and Chong need a slap in the face to remind them they are already playing for Manchester United, and if they think they've done enough, then the best thing for everyone would be to let them go and see if they can prove it. If Gomes really called any offer "underwhelming" then that really does take the cake.

We really need to see him in a game at number 10 with a full first team and not a second string

I think Solskjaer would like to create an energetic team that is capable of getting up and down the pitch. I’m not convinced Gomes fits into a Solskjaer team.

Gomes and Mata should be sharing minutes if it wasn’t for the contract situation.

I do think with him there’s a lot of agent talk it was a similar story when he signed his last deal to stay they know he’s got a superstar reputation from youth football but his mates from his age group that won the World Cup have started breaking into first teams. Sancho, Foden, Hudson-Odoi are now regular first team players at top clubs but he isn’t.

His problem will always be he’s so small if you’re going to be that small you need to be super quick and super strong as well as technically unbelievable. I think Utd see the technique being there but physically he’s not ready yet.

Needs to go and play either sign and go on loan or leave and join a team where you will play but Utd can’t allow these kids to earn silly cash before they’ve proven it.

Same as Chong really they’ve both had sniffs of the first team but they haven’t grabbed the chance in the way Greenwood and Williams have.

According to latest reports he's turned down £30k a week and might be off to Chelsea.

Utd would get a decent compensation fee if that happened I personally think him and his agent are just putting on the squeeze leaving Utd for Chelsea makes no sense unless it's financially motivated as the same barriers exist there as they do here.

Kid just isn't ready for mens football he'd probably be better off going abroad to a less physical league playing a lot more first team level games and seeing where that takes him but covid has probably dried that market up a bit as these clubs are skint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back