Status
Not open for further replies.
Very hard call between himself and Di Maria for MOTM. The formation today suited both of them. Really felt Herrera drived us on in the first half. He has so many strings to his bow, one thing that has impressed me about him is his link-up play in and around the box. It willl be an important asset for us to have when teams come to Old Trafford and defend deep, his little flicks and touches could cut open those defences.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

West Ham United - 27/9/2014

Top performance. Brave, quality passing, tackles and excellent movement.

I think he can be guilty of occasionally over-pressing, which can leave gaps in midfield. Harsh criticism, I know.

He is full value for the money we paid fir him. Has an eye for a killer pass as well as puts in a good defensive shift. Hope his injury is not too bad.

Classy little player. What's the verdict on injury, could really do with him next week with no Rooney.

Really like Herrera. At the minute himself and Di Maria are the two most important players to keep fit in the way we are playing. Both add so much energy and are unpredictable.

Blackburn Rovers Reserves - 25/11/2014

[vine]https://vine.co/v/O1IguHYi6tZ[/vine]

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hull City - 29/11/2014

Top performance. Speed of passing and movement was excellent.

Not seen the game yet so can't comment but sounds like he was great when he came on. Glad to have him back. Loved watching him so far. Want to see more of him.

Had a very good game yesterday. Didn't do much wrong was always making himself available for a pass. And had a few good passes which nearly opened up the defense. It was an assured performance.

Just watched the game. Fantastic. Probably my MotM. Love watching him. Full of energy, always on the move, always looking for a return pass, can keep the ball well but isn't afraid of trying something risky and willing to have a pop from distance.

Losing Di Maria was a blow but he filled his shoes which was great to see, I don't think the "1 man team" will be brought up, we'll see though. Herrera seems to link up well with everyone, especially Mata though, they're on the same wavelength those 2. They both like to bring others into the game, kept the ball moving. Challenge is to maintain this level now. Tougher games than this to come, starting with Stoke on Tuesday.

Stoke City - 2/12/2014

Hope injury wasn't too serious. Love watching this lad. Great cross (with his weaker foot) for Fellaini goal. He can do everything. I think we're a better side with him in the side.

I thought he was okay-ish in the first half. The assist was excellent and he defended well, but he was poor in possession. His second half performance was much better. The impact on team performance following his withdrawal was noticeable. A better alternative than Fletcher is necessary.

Not sure who the Stoke player was but Fletch was left for dead, I don't think the Stoke player was even that quick which is the biggest worry.

Southampton - 8/12/2014

Provided more energy and go forward to our midfield when he came on. Don't see how we can continue to not start him. Thought he made a difference to our performance.

I thought his performance was marginally better than others. I thought he looked a bit lightweight and was a bit careless. His style did help influence the overall team performance though. He was another who was less effective due to the formation used.

I can see why he isn't an automatic starter if I'm honest.

Yeovil Town - 4/1/2015

Wonderful goal to get us going. He's got a great eye for goal, had a few efforts I seem to remember. Not as quick as Di Maria but he's another that likes to receive the ball, turn and run/pass forwards.

Top goal. Fairly average overall. I think he's too sloppy in possession to play in midfield for a Van Gaal team.

Sloppy a bit but also nice touches to get away from opponents. Plays much better when with Mata and Di Maria.

Qpr - 17/1/2015

What do we make of Herrera's current situation?

His recent non-selection would suggest his absence (from the starting XI) earlier in the season was not due to injury. I think Van Gaal rates Herrera, but he is unable to fulfill the role the manager wants from a midfielder. I wouldn't be surprised to see Herrera back in Spain in the next year or two. Or am I wrong?

Not really sure. Maybe looking for a bit more discipline defensively or in possession, Mata is more disciplined in possession I think. I can understand the selection of Fellaini over Herrera a bit more as he offers more physically, which can be a big plus in the Prem.

Next season if we go 4-3-3, Herrera's qualities, his energy in particular may help his case as I think we'll play more of a pressing game, which was more prominent in pre season and early on in the season.

He looked bright early on in the season. He was much better than mata before his injury. He just seems to have lost his form after injury.

Cambridge United - 23/1/2015

Frustrating that he'll be back on the bench again next game. I'd have him over Fellaini and Rooney in midfield any day.

I must admit I don't get what's happening with him. Even if he isn't a long term answer he is certainly good enough for this midfield

Burnley - 11/2/2015

Wasn't a perfect performance but him coming on seemed to improve things for us in terms of taking control on the game and being better going forward.

Van Gaal to MUTV: Herrera did very well

Back to the bench again soon don't get used to it Ander.

I find it hard to believe he cannot get into this midfield. The balance of the team was better in the second half. First half was woeful

He was nothing special, but an upgrade on Rooney. He would be in my team.

Preston North End - 16/2/2015

Quiet first half, better in the second. Took his goal well.

I think he might be trying to change his game to suit Van Gaal's philosophy.

Given the relative lack of football he has had recently it's perhaps understandable that he was quite quiet early on, there was a long period in the first half where I'd forgotten he was playing.

His impact against Burnley (which Van Gaal praised) and performance again here has to have helped his cause. Given his goal/assist return so far, if played regularly and if he can improve aswell those stats could be even better. Don't buy this "Van Gaal doesn't rate him" talk, I think there's a reason for it and I think he'll be a better player for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back