Alex Telles

Seen reports his agent is on the way to England to finalise the deal but how many times have we heard that.

27 year old Brazilian left back who I've never heard of but have to admit the Portuguese league is not one I'm that up to speed on.

Looks like he bags plenty of goals for a left back got 13 last season must have been on pens to get that many.

27 year old doesn't quite fit the profile I'd say at that age. Reguilon is more right age. With a cb and cdm needed more I can't quite believe we are talking about lb's

I’d never heard of him. Looking at his YouTube videos he’s got a ridiculous cross and shot on him but none of them show any defending.

Dunno if you're binning Shaw signing someone who's ready made makes sense when you've got Williams to develop. If Utd are seriously thinking about buying a left back this summer having given Williams that new deal says to me that they've given up on Shaw a bit.

Maguire & Bruno were both mid 20's when they were signed so not every player has to be a kid.

At 27 you'd like to think there's still 4 or 5 good years in his legs.

Again the story so far is only coming from one source so lets not jump the gun on it.

Dunno if you're binning Shaw signing someone who's ready made makes sense when you've got Williams to develop. If Utd are seriously thinking about buying a left back this summer having given Williams that new deal says to me that they've given up on Shaw a bit.
Given that Shaw really isn't that good and Williams is a right footed player I think it shows some sense from United.

Looking at the way he plays and the signing of De Beek I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re looking to move to a 3-5-2 at times. I’ve only looked at YouTube videos as have never heard of him but he looks like he’d be a liability at the back in the prem. Basically playing as an inside forward!

Looking at the way he plays and the signing of De Beek I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re looking to move to a 3-5-2 at times. I’ve only looked at YouTube videos as have never heard of him but he looks like he’d be a liability at the back in the prem. Basically playing as an inside forward!

Dunno I think we'll just become a bit lopsided as a team with the left back being much more attacking than the right back a lot of teams do it that way.

Think we might still use the back 3 system but only against City/Liverpool where we want have to accept we aren't good enough to compete for possession.

Are you telling me Luke Shaw is more attacking that AWB? At least AWB 'tries' to get down the wing even though he is clueless over the half way line. Shaw has to be tempted down the other end with pies and chips else he stays put. Even when he does get down the opposition end (which to be fair he did over the last few games he played) he doesn't threaten with the overlap, he's just too conservative. Brandon does this much better.

We won't catch the likes of Liverpool or City until we get this happeneing. AWB may be better this season but Shaw is stuck in his ways I think.

He was saying with Telles in the side he thinks we’d become lopsided not with Shaw.

Yeah a lot of teams go lopsided with the full backs and let one go forward a lot more than the other Mourinho has always played it that way and to be fair so did Fergie with Evra normally doing a lot more attacking than our right back.

Issue we have right now is neither of our first choice full backs are great going forward.

Couldn't agree more. We all we're ecstatic when AWB joined and to be fair he has made an improvement in the back 4 but I didn't know he was so poor going forward. Maybe this should have been taken into account when spending £50 odd million.

Couldn't agree more. We all we're ecstatic when AWB joined and to be fair he has made an improvement in the back 4 but I didn't know he was so poor going forward. Maybe this should have been taken into account when spending £50 odd million.

I think his ability going forward isn't that bad judged against the ridiculous 2 boys at Liverpool he looks rubbish but compared to most full backs he's good but he was coming from a side who hardly ever attack so it's not part of his game we would have seen a lot of.

I think with some coaching he'll improve and I'd say he did improve in the second half of last season he'll never be Dani Alves but I think he's got the raw materials to be a threat going forward.

My only concern with going really attack from left back is with Rashford that side as well normally that makes us very left side focused we need to make sure that the boys on the right offer a threat as well so that teams can't just load up one side of the pitch.

Price is what it is Chelsea just spent that on a left back that a lot of Leicester fans say isn't all that but you pay a premium for English talent because you need them for the home grown quotas and PL clubs don't like selling their best English players.

I find it incredible that AWB was a winger once upon a time. Maybe in a past life haha

If Utd ever pull their fingers out their arses and buy Sancho it will even out a fair bit.

Rashford does link with Shaw ok in as much as Shaw stays back a fair bit so Rashford doesn't have to think so defensively, he can be in around the final third rather than on the half way line.

I find it incredible that AWB was a winger once upon a time. Maybe in a past life haha

If Utd ever pull their fingers out their arses and buy Sancho it will even out a fair bit.

Rashford does link with Shaw ok in as much as Shaw stays back a fair bit so Rashford doesn't have to think so defensively, he can be in around the final third rather than on the half way line.

Think he was a winger in academy football but I don't think he was a particularly highly rated one at Palace. Him converting to right back was a bit of a freak occurrence he filled in when the first team were short in training as a right back and was brilliant. Think that's why positionally sometimes as a right back he's a bit all over the place.

Shaw gets forward a fair bit takes up good positions and makes the sort of runs that open up space for Rashford he certainly missed having Shaw in the team when he got injured. Issue for Shaw is when he gets in these positions he doesn't really hurt teams with a killer pass or delivery and I always think his touch is a little bit loose for a top footballer.

Shaw seems to have the LVG mentality of sidewards and backwards passing in his head that he can't get rid of. If I scream FORWARDS at the TV once more my mrs will throttle me.

Shaws done better when we've gone 3 at the back with Willaims outside him

Shaw seems to have the LVG mentality of sidewards and backwards passing in his head that he can't get rid of. If I scream FORWARDS at the TV once more my mrs will throttle me.

Just don’t think he’s really kicked on as a player still looks the same player he was when he arrived in 2014.

He’s had 6 seasons to kick on obviously a lot of injury problems but he’s 24 now so this is as good as he’s going to get.

Think he’s a solid premier league standard left back but he’s not kicked on to the world class level we hoped he’d become when we spent 30m on him.

He seemed to be getting to be the player we want when his leg was broken and he just hasn't looked anywhere near the same since.

He seemed to be getting to be the player we want when his leg was broken and he just hasn't looked anywhere near the same since.

I dunno his first season wasn't fantastic lots on injury problems and his all round fitness level was even called out by LVG at the time he then got himself into top shape over the summer and looked to be the player but that leg break was very early in the season so his turning the corner I always felt was a bit over hyped. There wasn't a long run of good form before that horrible injury which took him 2-3 years to really get over.

Last two seasons he's been a pretty reliable player fitness wise and he gives you 6/10 every week in terms of performance but I think that's my issue with him he's just become an ok player.[/QUOTE]

Yep he is just average, I have this argument with my step son every single game. He thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread and I have an agenda with Shaw but it's clear to me and from what I read from most of the fan base that everyone thinks he is just average. He defends ok, going forward far too conservative, he just lacks any real spark for me.

He's a John O'Shea type player for me not going to let you down to often but not going to be the man that makes a difference either.

Given how high his wages are you have to say we should be getting more bang for our buck than we currently do from him but then again that's largely down to the club constantly renewing contracts of under performing players as it's cheaper than cutting losses and buying again.

Shaw does nothing very well. He's OK defending and he's OK attacking. He's limited and can't stay healthy for a full season.

Yeah a lot of teams go lopsided with the full backs and let one go forward a lot more than the other Mourinho has always played it that way and to be fair so did Fergie with Evra normally doing a lot more attacking than our right back.

Issue we have right now is neither of our first choice full backs are great going forward.
I remember Gary Neville and Rafael attacking just as much if not more than Evra.

As to Shaw, he's 24 and Evra didn't even join United until he was 25 and played for us until he was 33. Evra improved, maybe Shaw can too, especially with a manager who doesn't want him nailed to the halfway line.

I think Shaw is a solid player. He looks like he's having a harder time than he is for some reason, just like he looks like he's fat when he's fitter than a butcher's dog. Shaw looked like he would turn into a world class player, and he hasn't, and I don't think he will. I think Williams, raw as he is, is a better player and more than makes up for his defensive inexperience with attacking threat. I don't think Shaw or LB is a trouble area for United and I'd say it does not need addressing before we get the other areas dealt with.

I remember Gary Neville and Rafael attacking just as much if not more than Evra.

As to Shaw, he's 24 and Evra didn't even join United until he was 25 and played for us until he was 33. Evra improved, maybe Shaw can too, especially with a manager who doesn't want him nailed to the halfway line.

I think Shaw is a solid player. He looks like he's having a harder time than he is for some reason, just like he looks like he's fat when he's fitter than a butcher's dog. Shaw looked like he would turn into a world class player, and he hasn't, and I don't think he will. I think Williams, raw as he is, is a better player and more than makes up for his defensive inexperience with attacking threat. I don't think Shaw or LB is a trouble area for United and I'd say it does not need addressing before we get the other areas dealt with.

As I said normally and by the time Evra arrived Neville was not really getting forward much by the time Evra nailed down that spot in 07 Neville was basically done as he was hit hard by the injuries. The season with Rafael and Evra I think was the only season under Fergie where we really pushed both full backs forward.

The season before he joined us Evra played in the European Cup final for Monaco and was on the radar of all the top clubs in Europe.

My thing with Shaw is if he played for another club would he be someone you think we should buy? I just feel stick him in any mid table prem side and he wouldn't stand out. He's fine for competing for a top 4 spot but I think when it comes to going that next step and trying to win a title he'll need to be improved on.

As I said normally and by the time Evra arrived Neville was not really getting forward much by the time Evra nailed down that spot in 07 Neville was basically done as he was hit hard by the injuries. The season with Rafael and Evra I think was the only season under Fergie where we really pushed both full backs forward.

The season before he joined us Evra played in the European Cup final for Monaco and was on the radar of all the top clubs in Europe.

My thing with Shaw is if he played for another club would he be someone you think we should buy? I just feel stick him in any mid table prem side and he wouldn't stand out. He's fine for competing for a top 4 spot but I think when it comes to going that next step and trying to win a title he'll need to be improved on.
A lot of hypotheticals there, because if we didn't have Shaw, who would have been playing his role for the past 5 years? So if we had someone worse than Shaw in that role, sure, why not try and sign him. Who are we looking at now to replace him? Are we after a truly world-class player, then yes, sign that player. At the risk of repeating myself, I think Shaw is a good player but not a great one. I think we need better team chemistry if a bunch of good players are going to achieve greatness (a la Fergie), but a surer way of getting there is to buy great players. In the current team, Shaw is not the problem that needs fixing right now.

A lot of hypotheticals there, because if we didn't have Shaw, who would have been playing his role for the past 5 years? So if we had someone worse than Shaw in that role, sure, why not try and sign him. Who are we looking at now to replace him? Are we after a truly world-class player, then yes, sign that player. At the risk of repeating myself, I think Shaw is a good player but not a great one. I think we need better team chemistry if a bunch of good players are going to achieve greatness (a la Fergie), but a surer way of getting there is to buy great players. In the current team, Shaw is not the problem that needs fixing right now.

So in the obvious hypothetic situation say our current left back needs to be replaced for whatever reason he's getting old, he wants to move, he's out of form etc.

I'm in the same boat as you mate I don't think Shaw is a solve right now problem but I do think it's a next summer position other areas need the attention first.

The point of that question to me is that it sums up how many mediocre players we've had at the club for a long time who cost a lot of money and are paid big wages I just think if you saw Shaw delivering these sort of performances at Leicester for example I don't think clubs would be falling over themselves to sign him.

He's a 6/10 player but I think a title winning side needs better than that and that is what we're trying to build.

Just seen a photo of Shaw training, looks super lean

On FB man utd official

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back