Alex Sandro

SuperRash

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be my first left back choice.

Get him and then Meunièr at right back and we are sorted-a-mundo.

It would because our attacking play gets stunted by our full backs not pushing on and getting to the byline. So many chances can be made by the full backs but instead we come back inside and the play gets very narrow. Our attacking play would improve no end with decent full backs.

How good is this guy?

I don't watch Juve and whenever I do catch them he never seems to be playing.

I'm not talking in FM or on FIFA in real life when you've watched this guy play does he stand out as a brilliant player?

I don’t really watch Italian football so have only seen him in the Champions League. He was fantastic against Spurs in the second leg.

I’ve sort of just jumped on the bandwagon with him because of how many people have told me he’s fantastic

I've seen people mention Meunier too but is there a reason for him not being PSG's starting right back other than them not thinking he's good enough?

Seen Sandro play a little bit, prob maybe 10 games or so for Brazil/Juve and has always looked good, can defend and is an absolute menace going forward, but that's over 10 odd games so take from that what you will.

Only thing I have ever seen of that Meunier is the hattrick he scored for Belgium a while back, bar that not seen him play.

He's not been so good this season but prior seasons he has been very good. I think he wanted out end of last season and they talked him into staying when he didnt really want to and I think that has impacted on his performances.

Yeah think they wanted 70/80m from Chelsea last year but forced him to sit tight, always the way when they stay for an extra year (Ronaldo the obvious exception).

Still only 26 odd isn't he? Would be a good signing imo

The story I remember was Conte really wanted him (weird since they already have Alonso) but Chelsea weren't interested in the stupid price Juventus wanted think Porto get a share in any profit so they need to sell at quite a high price. He was apparently pretty annoyed about the move being blocked as he really wanted to go, was probably in line for a big pay day and all that and it annoyed Conte that the club didn't want to push for the players he wanted.

Just had a look he turned 27 this season so we'd be getting him in his prime but if they want 60/70m again this summer I can't see us going for it that would make him the most expensive full back of all time, 1 year more into his contract and not being as good this season might have helped drop the asking price.

Sounds like those who've watched him have been impressed which is good.

Straight swap deal with Darmian.... honestly, he's a fantastic player, just unlucky Valencia had a storming year hahah

Haha, I could have seen the Martial swap being a good deal for all concerned but rumours today that Jose has told Martial if he stays he will play as a central striker next year rather than a wide man, so that could just persuade him to stay, Sanchez/Rashford for the left, Martial/Lukaku up front, Lingard/Mata for the right.

Yeah I think they may take 50 odd now, think they would struggle to turn down that amount of money for a full back who doesn't want to be there and has been in and out of the team.

50m sounds like a pretty good deal all round, they get a lot of money for a full back and we pay kind of the going rate for a top class left back.

I've seen people mention Meunier too but is there a reason for him not being PSG's starting right back other than them not thinking he's good enough?
Well he’s got Dani Alves in front of him which doesn’t help. Personally I don’t particularly rate Alves, got some spectacular attacking play but when he gets under pressure defending I think he can be suspect. Luckily being at Barca, Juve and PSG has meant his defending is not always an issue. I do rate Meunier highly though despite being second choice.

I’ve seen Alex Sandro a fair bit and he’s very impressive. Like Edgy said he can defend but can really be awesome going forward, the kind of surging left back we have missed since Evra.

I mean Dani Alves is arguably the greatest right back to ever play the game but he's 35 now so it's mad that they've signed him to be their first choice, if you believe the rumours he was basically signed to make Neymar happy because they were mates at Barca.

As for Sandro the reported interest in Darmian from Juventus might make a deal easier I think both parties are probably happy to move on from these players and let them go it's just a case of getting the money right.

I mean Dani Alves is arguably the greatest right back to ever play the game but he's 35 now so it's mad that they've signed him to be their first choice, if you believe the rumours he was basically signed to make Neymar happy because they were mates at Barca.
Not having that. While going forward he’s excellent but the truth is he’s not a very good defender and for a top quality right back you need to be good at both. Not saying he’s the worst defender but there are many better. Cafu was light years ahead of him in terms of consistency of both attacking and defending.

Just think he could have been Liverpools right back for a 10+ years. They refused to pay £8m for him in 2006

Not having that. While going forward he’s excellent but the truth is he’s not a very good defender and for a top quality right back you need to be good at both. Not saying he’s the worst defender but there are many better. Cafu was light years ahead of him in terms of consistency of both attacking and defending.

Is a tough one because up until maybe 2000 a full back was a defender who marked the winger and stopped crosses but around that time they started to change into attacking players now they’re basically wingers. Cafu & Carlos we’re probably the first of the new breed who defended by attacking they were so brave positionally they forced you to defend and they had incredibly energy levels to sprint back if needed.

Dani Alves is the modern full back I think he’s very under rated as a defender and for almost a decade he was the entire right side for a Barca side that dominated in Spain & in Europe. Barca have really struggled to replace him since he left. He always had a weakness defensively in the air but one vs one he was very good defensively and his speed helped him get back in later years his defending became more of a problem but it was still good.

Can any full backs defend anymore or has it become an attacking position?

Didn’t make the World Cup squad Felipe Luis & Marcelo picked ahead of him.

Must knock a few € off the price tag.

For what it’s worth Fabinho didn’t make it either.

Didn’t make the World Cup squad Felipe Luis & Marcelo picked ahead of him.

Must knock a few € off the price tag.

For what it’s worth Fabinho didn’t make it either.

Well yeah true he didn't so perhaps that knocks his value. But then do we want a player who isn't good enough to be #2 for his country?

Well yeah true he didn't so perhaps that knocks his value. But then do we want a player who isn't good enough to be #2 for his country?

Well the first and second choice LB's play for Real Madrid & Atletico Madrid so it's not like he's missing out to average players both of them are top class players.

The reason he probably isn't in is he hasn't been first choice at his club whereas the others are.

I think he is there first choice? He started all of the Champions League games this season.

EDIT: Just had a look. Sandro has started 27 games at LB. Asamoah has started 16 games at LB. So seems they've rotated them a bit.

Surely therein lies a greater issue? He's not even been first choice for his club

I agree but I think that's largely down to him kicking off about not getting his move last summer he was told he could go had his heart set on Chelsea then they asked for a stupid transfer fee that Chelsea would never pay. Someone else came in did a decent job so he's been in and out of the team as a result.

I personally think given how he's performed this season his value can't be what they were asking for last summer but that isn't always how football work.

We're also being linked to Fagoulhi from Napoli so always had a feeling that the Sandro link might just be an agent thing trying to get his guy a move anywhere.

I've seen us linked with Hysaj. £45m release clause from Napoli. I've no idea what he's like. Will we actually focus on the problem areas and spend £100m on full backs this summer?

All signs kind of point to yes it seems we're only being linked with defenders and midfielders on a regular basis now there's almost no link to strikers or wide players and Mourinho has said he's happy with what he has up front.

Yeah the only attacking signing I can see is if Martial goes and a right hand side replacement for him.

Regarding Sandro, if we do buy him I would be made up he's not in the Brazil squad, same as Sanchez give them a full pre season to get themselves ready.

Surely you would be looking at 50m now rather than the 70/80m they wanted last year, prefer him to Rose defo, dunno about this lad at Napoli never seen him play.

See the transfer window opens in two days!

Yeah the less players at the world cup the better.

Does that mean we should keep Darmian & Blind??? Ha

Hard to say what he's worth now they paid 26m euro for him 3 seasons ago and he's done pretty well so he'll have gone up in price a bit plus football inflation so surely we're looking at 40-50m which is what City paid for their full backs last summer.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not sure of the source but have seen rumours getting amped up about Sandro of late. Think throwing in Darmian as part of the deal can sweeten the pot.

Yeah a lot of rumours going around today, we were linked with just about everyone yesterday but seems to be a few separate sources re Sandro so fingers crossed.

Interesting to see where Shaw goes this summer as I think Spurs are pretty sorted on that left hand side, especially if Rose doesn't leave.

50m for Sandro and we will probably get what maybe 15/20m for Darmian, not a bad deal all round to be fair.

Can't wait to find out we got £3m for Darmian haha

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back