Ajax v Real Madrid

Ben Townsend

Anyone watch this game last night ? I thought Real were mighty lucky to win the game 2-1, Ajax looked brilliant in the first half and really took it to Madrid.

Few of the Ajax lads looked really promising, obviously De Jong has signed for Barca, but there were plenty who showed loads of ability, Van De Beek and De Ligt look really good.

Makes you wonder if Ajax's first goal that was ruled out would of been the same had Real scored the same goal.

Didn't see it but heard it was a controversial VAR decision.

This is sort of what Madrid do though in Europe they just stumble their way through don't always make these big landmark wins but they just get the job done.

Madrid were lucky as none of the players appealed for it, and in all honestly if we are going off the rulebook then it was the right decision to make.

Just intrigues me as to whether the same would of been done to Madrid, cant stand them, bunch of cheats - especially Ramos

Everyone cheats you just notice it more with the good teams because they win it's a part of the game to generally the best teams/best players are the ones who push the boundaries of the rules the furthest.

I think it would have been ruled out VAR is pretty cut and dry and I think the refs will give more decisions to smaller sides as a result as the intimidation of the bigger team will be gone as he has to give what he sees on TV and if they do VAR properly then the ref won't even be involved in the decision it'll be a guy watching the monitor who makes the decision.

There's been a few journalists suggesting they may change the offside law because of VAR because it's become to accurate so will only result in goals being disallowed they think the marginal calls should favour the attackers. Currently if any part of your body is offside then you are given offside they are considering it being you need to have part of your body onside to be onside.

The clear daylight rule should never have been changed

The clear daylight rule should never have been changed

Not sure that was ever a rule it was a directive given to the assistant refs on how to interpret a close call but I think it needs to come back.

VAR should be used to correct howlers like it is in cricket instead it's being used to try and be super accurate like it is in Rugby but the laws of the game don't seem to make it work in football.

The more I see it the less I like it but it's here to stay and it's not going away you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one.

Not sure that was ever a rule it was a directive given to the assistant refs on how to interpret a close call but I think it needs to come back.

VAR should be used to correct howlers like it is in cricket instead it's being used to try and be super accurate like it is in Rugby but the laws of the game don't seem to make it work in football.

The more I see it the less I like it but it's here to stay and it's not going away you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one.
I made the comment when the world cup was on, I really dislike VAR simply due to how it isnt tried and tested in football.

there needs to be a solidified system in place as to what is looked at and maybe a microphone on the referee so that people actually know whats going on, seems to be that viewers are guessing and the commentators are trying to be the translators.

then begs the question to do with offsides ? how can we analyse a decision through VAR if a player see's the offside flag and it completely throws everything out of whack ?!

Can you all get the feeling I really dont like VAR ;)

I think some decisons should be left to the ref like offside, it's too disruptive otherwise.

For me it should be used for penalty decisions, off the ball incidents, serious fouls etc.

did you see Ramos is being investigated for getting booked on purpose. Could be a two game ban

I don’t get why you’d get booked on purpose holding a 1 goal lead going in to a knockout game. You’re the captain and number 1 CB. I’d love to see it back fire.

I made the comment when the world cup was on, I really dislike VAR simply due to how it isnt tried and tested in football.

there needs to be a solidified system in place as to what is looked at and maybe a microphone on the referee so that people actually know whats going on, seems to be that viewers are guessing and the commentators are trying to be the translators.

then begs the question to do with offsides ? how can we analyse a decision through VAR if a player see's the offside flag and it completely throws everything out of whack ?!

Can you all get the feeling I really dont like VAR ;)

I flip flop on it I think we are just having teething problems with it as everyone learns how to use it and the way it's used isn't consistent the way it's used in the CL is different to the way it's used in leagues across Europe. Maybe in a year or two they'll have mastered it but it's still in the trial phase. I thought in the first few weeks of the world cup it worked brilliantly because the refs trusted the decisions but when it got important they wanted to check everything themselves. I don't think the ref should go to the monitor at all the VAR official should over rule him if it's a blatant error and tell him if it's not blatant enough to over rule you stick with the decision.

I mean VAR doesn't change the decision that would have seen Kimpembe sent off in the first half vs Utd for example? That would have been a huge game changing moment in that tie. It's very hard to decide where you draw the line in a game like football because the ref stops the game a lot and it restarts so quickly and the cards are handed out very quickly unlike Rugby where the cards are rarely used. You might see a yellow card once maybe twice in a game in football you probably get 5 or 6 in a game as an average.

On the offside the officials are told not to flag the close ones until the play has ended it was mad in the Utd game both Mbappe & Di Maria went through rounded the keeper and had a shot before the linesman then raised his flag to signal off side rather than goal kick/corner. All that will mean is teams won't try and play offside trap anymore not that many do because of the way the rule works but the players have to play to the whistle.

The main thing that needs to change is

1)Standardise the way it's used across all competitions.
2)Reduce the time taken to make decisions (this will come with practise).
3)Communicate what is going on with fans in the ground properly. The fan at the game must know what is happening either by seeing it on the screens or having it over the PA system if a decision is changed I think the ref should announce it and explain why like they do in NFL.

@IDFD - Yeah definitely, pretty disrespectful to Ajax too as Ramos must think they have no chance of overcoming madrid and his team wont even need him.

Ramos is the perfect mould when people stereotype the "modern day footballer" he cheats, he dives and persistently dupes the referee and does all he can to gain an advantage - which is intelligent, but irritating when he is such an arse.

I thought it was weird that yellow cards from the group stage are still counted I just assumed they wiped the slate clean for the knockout round.

Probably another thing UEFA should look at really not sure giving out bans for getting yellow cards in cup comps is really fair anymore as it's o easy to get a yellow card now. Still think it's worth having a ban for a red card but feels a bit pointless with the yellows now.

I'm for VAR but things have to change.

Firstly blatant yellows should be told to the Ref so that he can rectify it at the next stage of play. IE. The PSG one the other night. Also if it's a blatant yellow for his first yellow then the player should be living on a knife edge.
The offside has to be just left alone. If it isn't blatant then the linesman can't get involved otherwise it's just the defence getting the advantage.
Stop clocks need to be bought in.
The crowd and audience should hear the discussion.
No referee looking at a TV screen rubbish. The VAR man should have every angle and is a qualified ref.

I wonder how Ramos feels about getting booked on purpose now.

I wonder how Ramos feels about getting booked on purpose now.
Like an arrogant disrespectful douchebag?

Ajax were unreal last night, they have so many talented young guys. It was so refreshing to see them back to their best. They may well go no further but they sure are an exciting team to watch. They were unlucky to lose the first leg but there was nothing lucky about last nights win - they absolutely schooled Madrid.

How far down the tunnel do you think Tadic got before he was pulled by the drugs testers?

Whatever he took we need to find some as he was on fire.

Madrid just collapsed and fell to pieces that team just looks shot it needs a massive overhaul the midfield that was the envy of the world looks all over the place, the attack is toothless without Ronaldo and defensively they're a mess.

Marid do need an overhaul, but I feel they have left it too late. They should have been refreshing that team over the years. A few years ago I would have taken Bale and Kroos, now the only player I would take is Varane. The others are too old for the price the want.

And if they get Jose as rumoured, then the problems are long term. They need to get Poch.

Cant actually express how happy I am that Ajax did that to madrid last night, as i expressed in the first comment on this thread, Ajax were brilliant and took it to madrid, and Madrid just couldent cope.

Some serious young talent in that Ajax side currently, and Madrid, my god they look shocking !

to be honest, they have look shocking for a while, you can't underestimate how much Ronaldo carried that team.

I think the issue for them is when they decided to start rebuilding the market went crazy thanks to PSG and the players they'd like to sell to raise cash are the older players who aren't really interested in moving on, Ronaldo only went because he forced his way out everyone else seems pretty happy there. They've mainly been investing in younger players but maybe the fruits of that labour haven't yet come through and Bale has really failed to step up in his absence he looks like he's injured again.

They've always been a strange team in the league they've won 1 league title in 5 years but 4 European cups in the same period think it's only 2 league titles in the last 10 years that shows they lack consistency but can turn it on in the big games probably saving everything for the European cup.

As for Ajax it's great to see them competing again but it's sad that this team is already getting picked apart De Jong has agreed to go to Barca, De Ligt may follow and I think the left back is on the verge of going to Madrid. Bit like that Monaco side from a few seasons ago it might be something to enjoy quickly before the vultures rip it apart.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back