Aaron Wan-Bissaka | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

SuperRash

Thought there was a little extra class in his attacking play yesterday. Still a few headless moments but still the signs are promising.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-1 Newcastle United - 11th September 2021

His quality on the ball was really poor. He stood out like Dan James did against Leeds.

I just don't think he's that good. Defensively he's very good (though his positioning at times is questionable) but I just don't think he's good enough for United going forwards.

Think he's been pretty poor so far this season from memory it was the same last season maybe just takes him a while to get up to speed.

Yes on days where it's important to keep the ball and not give the opponent and easy way out he can often be far to sloppy with even simple passes.

I do like him but I don't see him ever fixing that problem in his game which will stop him from ever being considered a world class player.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-1 Newcastle United - 11th September 2021

His quality on the ball was really poor. He stood out like Dan James did against Leeds.
I think that’s an apt comparison. Players with one outstanding attribute (AWB’s tackling, James’ pace) that they’ve relied on and haven’t had to develop other aspects of their games.

James can race past defenders and get open so he hasn’t had to work on his crossing. AWB can tackle so he hasn’t had to worry about being out of position and therefore hasn’t worked on it. Both are getting found out at the highest levels.

Champions League: Young Boys 2-1 Manchester United - 14th September 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A silly mistake by a player who hasn’t played a huge number of games at this level.

A poor touch which is a part of his game that hasn’t really improved in 2 seasons cost him as he panics and lunges in getting a red card.

He has to learn and sort out that flaw in his game and even more important learn to control his emotion when it does happen.

The opponent milked it made it look like he’d hurt him badly when he probably hadn’t but we have to make sure he learns.

Not a red for me, not high, not dangerous. It's a yellow

It’s the force with studs showing that has done him.

The modern criteria is endangering your opponent and that tackle meets that threshold I think. It’s not a 100% red card every time, sometimes you get away with it but when you don’t you can’t complain. Wan Bissaka offered no defence and probably wanted to make sure he hadn’t hurt the guy as he knew what he did was dangerous.

Had it been yellow and gone to VAR they might have stuck to yellow but once it was red it was never changing back.

By doing that you are giving the ref the opportunity to send you off and that is something you can’t afford to do at this level as the consequences for the team are huge.

It was totally needless and in an area of the pitch where losing the ball wasn't dangerous.

Continuation of his poor start to the season. I hope he develops his game to avoid this in the future as this was always going to happen due to his reliance on last ditch tackles. He needs to improve his positional awareness and reading of the game.

Once this guy crosses the halfway line, he's like a fish out of water. Would have loved to have had Trippier playing for us tonight, the difference in class is astonishing!

Think Southgate's squad selections says a lot about AWB's ability. Walker, Trippier and Reece James all certainly chosen each time. They 3 players provide exactly what is required to play in that position, sadly AWB is sadly lacking in those qualities, but Ole paid 50 million quid for him, so, with Utd he must remain!

Utd paid 45m quid for him at the time he was one of the most exciting young right backs in the country and to be fair to him he's been a pretty reliable player for Utd in the last few seasons but he does have his flaws just as all those others do.

Walker has costly lapses of concentration
Trippier slow on the turn and not great defending one vs one
James still not really sure what his position is
Alexander-Arnold can't defend.

It's easy to go in on the kid he made a massive mistake yesterday that cost his team but he needs to learn from it and move forward he's 23 so still very young but we need to start seeing his touch and control of the ball improve big time now as it will always hold him back.

I do think Utd need some proper competition for him though this season that's Dalot he needs to be pushing Wan Bissaka so that these issues dissapear.

Utd paid 45m quid for him at the time he was one of the most exciting young right backs in the country and to be fair to him he's been a pretty reliable player for Utd in the last few seasons but he does have his flaws just as all those others do.

Walker has costly lapses of concentration
Trippier slow on the turn and not great defending one vs one
James still not really sure what his position is
Alexander-Arnold can't defend.

It's easy to go in on the kid he made a massive mistake yesterday that cost his team but he needs to learn from it and move forward he's 23 so still very young but we need to start seeing his touch and control of the ball improve big time now as it will always hold him back.

I do think Utd need some proper competition for him though this season that's Dalot he needs to be pushing Wan Bissaka so that these issues dissapear.
There's so many skills a footballer cannot improve on. Far and away is his technical ability. You'll never teach a young ( he's already 23 ) player how to be comfortable, and what to do, with the ball at his feet.
Apologies for getting his feet incorrect!
How much did Bruno cost?

There's so many skills a footballer cannot improve on. Far and away is his technical ability. You'll never teach a young ( he's already 23 ) player how to be comfortable, and what to do, with the ball at his feet.
Apologies for getting his feet incorrect!
How much did Bruno cost?

I don't like being that guy but you've got google right? Fernandes was 46m with about 20m of potential add ons Wan-Bissaka was 45m with 5m of potential add ons. We obviously paid a huge premium on AWB because he's English and we were buying him from another England club same reason Maguire cost us a bomb.

I tend to agree technique is the hardest thing to improve if you haven't mastered it by 23 you probably never will but practise and good coaching certainly can improve it marginally over time. Despite what some think I actually think AWB slings in a pretty decent cross and he's quite good at working himself a crossing angle but where he is poor is just his control and short passing in general play especially when he's asked to do it at speed.

To a degree he reminds me a bit of Chris Smalling defensively a very good player but on the ball just not good enough to make it to the very top level of the game.

I don't like being that guy but you've got google right? Fernandes was 46m with about 20m of potential add ons Wan-Bissaka was 45m with 5m of potential add ons. We obviously paid a huge premium on AWB because he's English and we were buying him from another England club same reason Maguire cost us a bomb.

I tend to agree technique is the hardest thing to improve if you haven't mastered it by 23 you probably never will but practise and good coaching certainly can improve it marginally over time. Despite what some think I actually think AWB slings in a pretty decent cross and he's quite good at working himself a crossing angle but where he is poor is just his control and short passing in general play especially when he's asked to do it at speed.

To a degree he reminds me a bit of Chris Smalling defensively a very good player but on the ball just not good enough to make it to the very top level of the game.
Then why is he playing for Utd?
I know I'm being unrealistic but I want us to win every single aspect of a football match. From the referee's toss off the coin, till the final whistle blows. No lame excuses like, he's only young, let him find his feet, had an off day, made a misjudgment!
When any man pulls on that Red shirt, he's representing us all, therefore, he should give his all ( unless the boss can make allowances)

Then why is he playing for Utd?
I know I'm being unrealistic but I want us to win every single aspect of a football match. From the referee's toss off the coin, till the final whistle blows. No lame excuses like, he's only young, let him find his feet, had an off day, made a misjudgment!
When any man pulls on that Red shirt, he's representing us all, therefore, he should give his all ( unless the boss can make allowances)

Well the key decision makers at Utd either didn't spot that weakness or thought there was enough raw material to work with to iron it out.

AWB at Palace wasn't asked to get forward he was play for Roy Hodgson in a side that played counter attack football his job was to be a defender first and attacking outlet second.

My guess would be Utd felt over a few seasons they'd get his attacking play up to the required standard for him to be effective.

I don't think you can ever accuse AWB of not giving his all the question really is, is his all enough?

He made a massive mistake last night his first red card in a Utd shirt he's 23 hasn't played loads of european matches all he needs to do is learn from it and not repeat it.

He's one of those players. Defensively he generally is very good. Offensively he's awful. Can United win the league with him at RB? Yeah they probably can. It won't be because of him and he wouldn't play a key role but yeah you can't be world class at every single position.

He strikes me to be a bit like Martial, no real drive to improve.

He's one of those players. Defensively he generally is very good. Offensively he's awful. Can United win the league with him at RB? Yeah they probably can. It won't be because of him and he wouldn't play a key role but yeah you can't be world class at every single position.
I wouldn’t say he’s awful offensively - that word is a little harsh. I would say he’s inconsistent. Sometimes he can be actually pretty good going forward and has delivered a few good assists. However, I do agree once he passes the half way line sometimes his body and brain are not in sync. He does have to improve without a doubt but I wouldn’t be dropping him for this game because of a silly mistake in a tackle. Still think he’s got plenty of potential to improve.

If you split the pitch into 3rd's he's pretty good in the bottom and top third of the pitch his crossing is actually quite good and we know one vs one defending is great, it's the middle third where he gets himself in trouble.

This is where he so often plays a bad pass or takes a bad touch he's normally afforded space by the opponent as well to come forward into attacking positions but he just doesn't make the most of it.

Sadly it's some really straight forward skills an elite level footballer should master at quite a young age close control and short passing.

Still think he’s got plenty of potential to improve.
I think at this point we can probably say he's not going to improve too much in terms of his attacking potential. I may be wrong but he's not improved at all since he joined the team in an attacking sense.

I'm going to wait to cast judgement until after he has a consistent RW playing ahead of him. Yes, I know that is an admission that he needs help, but Gary Neville wasn't exactly electric going forward (5 goals, 35 assists and 1 big chance created (whatever that means) in 400 PL apps), but he developed a good understanding with Beckham and together they got it done.

I think AWB might be able to do similar with Sancho ahead of him.

I’d flip that argument and suggest that I wouldn’t judge the right winger until there’s a competent attacking right back behind him.

I’m convinced Wan Bissaka doesn’t know what he’s going to do half the time. His quality on the ball will not improve at this stage.

I wouldn't even say he's good in first third, he's not that good at defending, he cost us a few goals last season due to bad positioning

What he is good at is last ditch tackles, brilliant in fact, but he's had so much practise due to his awful positioning

I think if after a year next to Varane he's not kicked on in any defensive duties he will need replacing

I wouldn't even say he's good in first third, he's not that good at defending, he cost us a few goals last season due to bad positioning
He has definite weaknesses to his game that teams were really going after last year.

I'm going to wait to cast judgement until after he has a consistent RW playing ahead of him. Yes, I know that is an admission that he needs help, but Gary Neville wasn't exactly electric going forward (5 goals, 35 assists and 1 big chance created (whatever that means) in 400 PL apps), but he developed a good understanding with Beckham and together they got it done.

I think AWB might be able to do similar with Sancho ahead of him.

I'm going to guess they only started recording big chances created in the last season Neville played or something.

Neville actually turned in to a very good crosser of the ball.

West Ham1-2 Man Utd

Much better today best performance of the season doesn’t make up for midweek but it was important he bounced back with a good performance and move on from it.

The turn and shot were fantastic especially with the abuse he takes for his attacking ability.

I think his attacking ability gets slated a lot more than it should. Yes he’s inconsistent but he does have good skill and ability. I’ve always said he can still come across as raw but still plenty of room for improvement and progression.

I think his attacking ability gets slated a lot more than it should. Yes he’s inconsistent but he does have good skill and ability. I’ve always said he can still come across as raw but still plenty of room for improvement and progression.
His technical ability is very poor. I highly doubt he will significantly improve on his current ability.

Think it’s telling that opponents give him acres of space.

His technical ability is very poor. I highly doubt he will significantly improve on his current ability.

Think it’s telling that opponents give him acres of space.
Very much disagree. Like I’ve said before he’s not the complete article but I think his technical ability - while not perfect - is ridiculed a little harshly.

AWB had Dan "headless chicken" James in front of him, how was he supposed to develop an understanding with him? I think it is far too early to write him off. He improved our RB position when he came in. If we can find someone better - a lot better - then we should go for them, but that is the same for any player. If we had bought Trippier we would be facing a RB problem again in a couple years' time.

Against West Ham he got forward well but really did not play any crosses or telling passes. His defending has been excellent and at the time we really needed a defender.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back