A walkthrough of Utd's season so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalegute

A lot of people has claimed we are not good enough. We are a one man team. etc...
Just to sett the stats at this point:

Premier League:
# Team GP W D L + / - GA PTS
1 Chelsea 13 9 1 3 28-8 20 28
2 Arsenal 13 8 2 3 26-12 14 26
3 Man Utd 13 6 7 0 26-15 11 25

Champions League:
Club P W D L F A +/- Pts
1 Man Utd FC 4 3 1 0 5 0 5 10
2 Valencia CF 4 2 1 1 8 2 6 7
3 Rangers FC 4 1 2 1 2 4 -2 5
4 Bursaspor 4 0 0 4 0 9 -9 0

Carling Cup
Scunthorpe (away) 5-2, Wolves (home) 3-2

Community Shield
Chelsea 3-1

Games played: 13+4+2+1 = 20 Won: 12 Draw: 8 Lost: 0

This is a pretty decent run considering the following:

1. Our ONE MAN last year was Rooney. He has missed 13 of our 20 games so far this season, and we are still just 3pts of Chelsea in 1st. 1pt of Arsenal in 2nd..

2. We have conceded 15 goals in 13 games. way to much but it is with Rio only playing 10 games. With Rio the stats are alot better.

3. Valencia, which I believe had most assists last year, has just played 5 games.

So why are people shouting for new players in january and talking about a team in decline?

I believe the only factor why we are not top of the table, is underperformance. We are not playing badly because the squad is bad, we have had bad form and are now on the up. chelsea started the season in fantastic style and to be just 3pts ahead no could be a big problem for them. They are no hitting some bad form and hopefully their added susp. and injury problems in comb. with us hitting form can put them back at aleast 2nd place before the new year..

I'm really impressed with Smalling. Not just his performances on the pitch, but the way he speaks to the press etc. Real mature lad, head screwed on. Future England captain one day possibly, and a really good Fergie signing. As for us being unbeaten, its nice but not something to get carried away with. When Liverpool came 2nd in 2008 they only lost 2 games all season. Draws cost them the title (aka Benitez). 7 draws in the league now already, if we'd only won 3 of those 7 games (losing the other 4) we'd have more points.
But like the other posts say, we're definitely not a team in decline, we're gonna get better once we have our injured players back. This premiership is there for the taking in my eyes, Chelsea are not what they're made out to be. The media got carried away after their strong start.

2nd halves is where we've been poor, in my opinion I think we're getting tired during games particularly in midfield when we're playing just 2 CM's and when we play 3 CM's there's not enough support/creativity.

I don't think the team is in decline either, if anything we're on the up with the youngsters coming through, we're in transition.

If we're in decline, what can we/they say about Liverpool then?

I believe our situation could be worse. I honestly don't get so excited about the invincibility. It's a good and important thing, but it is disappointing to see the team with 7 draws in 13 games. But I don't believe this is happening because we didn't have a good squad or being in "decline." The defensive lapses, Some SAF's mistakes and lack of creativity from midfield are a few factors.

But we're not the only team struggling this season. Chelsea yesterday showed what happens when a team plays with important absences. Arsenal, Tottenham and noisy neighbors slipped as well.

The season is early, the results are somewhat disappointing, considering what the team could've done and didn't. Considering the table, I think even playing bad, our position is a positive thing. But we can'tt assume that everything is fine. The team needs to improve. And maybe it happens in December / January. A period where the United usually improve.

this is true since i've been watching united....so considering we've been in decline for over 50 years we've not done to bad...lol,but in all truthfulness this hasn't been as bad a season up to now as has been wrote about by the media......playing supposedly badly and only being 3 pts off the top not too bad,i know who will be more worried at the moment and it wont be S.A.F. ......on the whole we know how we CAN play and so does the rest of the top teams..........LET BATTLE COMMENCE....

History suggests we always come good. We've just got to wait, hopefully we don't have to wait much longer.

After this last weekends results, Im beginning to think that this season is and is going to be the hardest for all the teams fighting to win it. The lesser clubs are not lying down without a fight, and gone are the days (for some time now), you could predict a win against certain opposition with great confidence.

I don't think United are or even have been in decline in the last 4/5 years, I think the rest of the league has picked up their game and attitude. I remember in the early 2000's, United would like up at Old Trafford and the game was already won. Teams are not scared of United, Arsenal or Chelsea, or the wannabe's City.

The un beated record is excellent, and hopefully we can keep it up! The last season long unbeaten team was Arsenal, and they won the league... They also went through a bunch of draws that season, but still claimed the title. Hopefully, we can match/beat that!

*Believe*

We've always taken some time to hit our top gear. We usually have a pretty good run from new years and come spring.

I predict Chelsea slip up at least 2/5 games from now until new years. And I believe we will better our away form significantly with rooney back in the side and the defense stepping up their game a notch. If we get a good result against Gunners and Chelski we could be a couple points ahead by new years... Too much to hope for?

Got to give it to Rooney last night. He really show how much that goal ment to him. Could this be the turn of the tide for our season?

My conclusion on Rooney:
1. He is a bloody brilliant footballer
2. He has a shitty agent
3. He is not to bright, combine with the agent, things can get though...
4. He does stupid things now and then
5. But, he loves the club
6. He will give everything to win fans back
7. He will, in my opinion, get close to giggs and scholes number of games for UTD

Not so sure about loving the club part, i just want him to do well for United until he hopefully moves on

He's taking really bad advice from someone, my guess is his agent, who's surname should be taken away from him.

1. Utd on the up!
2. Chelsea in trouble
3. Arsenal, Spurs, Shitty their same old inconsistent self...

Looking to be a nice christmas this year?:)

If we can keep playing like we did yesterday, we could have a very good december but as we know it's not as easy at that.

Squeeze past West Ham with a fringe team tomorrow, narrow win against blackpool on saturday, then come the hard stretch of games..valencia (ok) arsenal and chelsea.

How many points do you guy think will manage from the PL games..and will we go through in Carling Cup?

United top? How did that happen? - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

nice!

"United are a team patently in decline, and yet they find themselves top of the pile. Clearly they deserve credit for their obstinate refusal to lose, but they owe their elevated status more to Chelsea's remarkable meltdown" among other very intelligent observations (yes: i'm being ironic:)

What a nob..

lol, love the fact that we have been in decline for the last years and yet we manage to to be around the top of the league!! of course Chelsea with their ageing old players are in their prime and one's to beat :) :) :)

Incredible how the things workswell at United.

Schmeichel Left = we're in decline.
Keano left = We're indecline.
Van Nistelrooy left = We're in decline.
Ronaldo left = We're in decline.

My conclusion is that this team is phenomenal. No other team in the world can be in decline in so many years and still leading leagues and winning titles. :)

also wonderful how Arsenal will be in transistion forever, well until they win some small title, after which it'll be how Wenger has brought through a bunch of champions!! Lol! :D, need i mention Liverpool, lol, who need no press, the fans think they can beat Real, etc to sign Hazard, because of the great history and being the most successful club in England!! LOL !

so apparently our youngsters couldn't build on the platform from the blackburn game..is SAF making to many changes, making it hard for youngsters to impress?

Lots pole position today, but next to Pl matches will give us a good hint at the season outcome..

How important is it to win both matches?

Which results do you see us getting from the Decemeber games?

My guess is three win on the trot and maybe a draw away to birmingham, gonna be a really hard away game just to days after sunderland game..
13th Arsenal W
19th Chelsea W
26th Sunderland W
28th Birmingham D

Realistically I think 8points will see us still on top...but then we need to win against west ham on new years day...

Our rivals:

12th Tottenham v Chelsea HU 1
19th Chelsea v Man Utd U 1
27th Arsenal v Chelsea H 0
29th Chelsea v Bolton H 3
Chelsea hopefully no more than 5 points

13th Man Utd v Arsenal H 0
18th Arsenal v Stoke H 3
27th Arsenal v Chelsea HU 3
29th Wigan v Arsenal U 1
Arsenal hopefully not more than 7 points

11th West Ham v Man City A 3
20th Man City v Everton HU 3
26th Newcastle v Man City U 1
28th Man City v Aston Villa H 3
Might get around 10points from these games...lets hope not.

Table if my predictions hold:
Today
1 Arsenal 16 32
2 Man Utd 15 31
3 Chelsea 16 30
4 Man City 16 29
29th of december
1 Arsenal 20 39
1 Man Utd 19 39
1 Man City 20 39
3 Chelsea 20 35
Looks like a close race....december will be very interesting...!

Last edited:
How much would the odds be for chelsea on 4. and the other 3 equal at the top:) not sure I would put my life savings on it, but it actually could happen..

12th Tottenham v Chelsea U 1-1 Thank you Drogba
19th Chelsea v Man Utd
27th Arsenal v Chelsea
29th Chelsea v Bolton
Chelsea 1 points so fare

Table after games today, 12th

Today
1 Arsenal 16 32
2 Man City 17 32
3 Man Utd 15 31
4 Chelsea 17 31

My predictions for 29th of december
1 Arsenal 20 39
1 Man Utd 19 39
1 Man City 20 39
3 Chelsea 20 35

Will try to update after each match day..

Games played:
11th West Ham - Man City B 1-3
12th Tottenham v Chelsea U 1-1 Thank you Drogba
13th Man Utd v Arsenal H 1-0 Thank you Park

Man Utd 3 points
Man City 3 points
Chelsea 1 points
Arsenal 0 points

Table 13th
1 Man Utd 16 34
2 Arsenal 17 32
3 Man City 17 32
4 Chelsea 17 31

1 Arsenal 20 39
1 Man Utd 19 39
1 Man City 20 39
3 Chelsea 20 35

Last edited:
Man Utd 6 points 2 games played
Man City 6 points 3 gp
Chelsea 1 points 2 gp
Arsenal 3 points 2gp

Table 28th before todays games..
1 Man Utd 17 37
2 Arsenal 18 35
3 Man City 19 35
4 Chelsea 18 31

1 Arsenal 20 39
1 Man Utd 19 39
1 Man City 20 39
3 Chelsea 20 35

Man Utd 7 points 3 games played
Man City 9 points 4 gp
Chelsea 1 points 2 gp
Arsenal 3 points 2gp

Table 28th after todays games..
1 Man Utd 18 38
2 Man City 20 38
3 Arsenal 18 35
4 Tottenham 19 33

1 Arsenal 20 39
1 Man Utd 19 39
1 Man City 20 39
3 Chelsea 20 35

Were at least top of the table at new years, and hopefully Cleverley can do something about Arsenal, and Chelsea can probably screw it up against a tricky Bolton side..:)

Sum up...Gameweeks 17-20
Team Pts GP
Man Utd 7 3 (W-WD)
Man City 9 4 (WLWW)
Chelsea 4 3 (D-LW)
Arsenal 4 3 (L-WD)

Table 29th
1 Man Utd 18 38
2 Man City 20 38
3 Arsenal 19 36
4 Chelsea 19 34
1 Arsenal 20 39
1 Man Utd 19 39
1 Man City 20 39
3 Chelsea 20 35

Not too fare off, specially considering the postponed games. But we were to at christmas and top at new year.
Think we should be careful to count to much into the to games we have in hand because both are away and one of the is at stamford bridge..

Think we'll be top in may but it can change fast and we need to up our game away from home..

Happy New Year every one!

Gameweek 22 was a brilliant one for UTD.

Lovely to see chelsea and tottenham dropping silly points. And city arsenal in a stalemate:)

...and this is when we usually start to hit form:)

Good night last night. All round good start to the year. Long may it continue as the last few months of last year were terrible...for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back