60th Anniversary of Munich Disaster

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
@Edgy1968 here you go mate you can start threads yourself. Haha!

Anyway back to the serious stuff today marks the 60th anniversary of the Munich air crash.

This year a group of Utd fans have actually raised some money to help refresh the memorial in Munich and they're out there making the donation to local memorial fund.

Obviously this marks a huge point in our clubs history and it's right remembered every year even if Fred the Red being part of the minutes silence or sponsors logos on memorial banners have made it feel a bit corporate.

Not sure there's anything that can really be added to what is already written this tragedy took the lives 23 people who were travelling home to Manchester a mixture of football players, club officials, press & crew.

5live did a show the other night called how the club rebuilt after Munich which should be available now as a podcast if you go to the BBC five live sports specials section, it's also available on Iplayer or possibly even through their website.

Haha I couldn't find how to do it, I did try mate honest lol Yeah minutes silence today, few of my mates have gone to Munich for the memorial over there and I know a few of the sammy platt boys have gone over for it.

One thing I seen on TV the other day that just made me think of how far modern football has fallen is they done a survey outside OT the other week and asked fans who Harry Gregg is, 84% of fans had never heard of him, couldn't believe it.

Haha I couldn't find how to do it, I did try mate honest lol Yeah minutes silence today, few of my mates have gone to Munich for the memorial over there and I know a few of the sammy platt boys have gone over for it.

One thing I seen on TV the other day that just made me think of how far modern football has fallen is they done a survey outside OT the other week and asked fans who Harry Gregg is, 84% of fans had never heard of him, couldn't believe it.

On the main page go into a message board then should be an icon top right to create a new thread in on that board.

Saw a video of a few lads singing "park the plane park the plane man utd" which I think is a riduculous thing to chant, my worry is how many of these lads are going for a p*ss up and how many actually feel that connection with Munich, this is a memorial not a knees up.

Well it was 60 years ago so to expect every fan to know who the goalkeeper was at the time of the tragedy might be a stretch I couldn't name all the players who died I know who Harry Gregg is but until maybe 2-3 years ago I was totally unaware of who he was and what he did pulling people from the wreckage.

Yeah mate can't be singing stuff like that jesus, I would be kicking off to hell if anyone was chanting that, yeah just surprised me as obviously I wasn't around back then but growing up I was educated and obviously wanted to know about the history and learn about it etc. its the most important part of our history and for me, if your a United fan you want to know about it, the players, what happened etc.

I don't really know how you can be a United fanatic and not have any idea about the disaster, baffles me, Harry Gregg such a part of that with his mental strength etc., I remember having one guy ask me why we have a trophy named after some bloke who has no connection with United "Jimmy Murphy, who the hell is he" think I just grabbed my pint and walked off lol

I remember sitting with my granddad when a kid and him telling me all these stories about the great Duncan Edwards, I was enthralled by it all.

Anyone see the turn out in Munich for the unveiling of the two plaques? Absolutely brilliant, loads of locals turned out, most of the Bayern Munich squad as well, great to see

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back